"Begotten" signifies an impartation from one to another where the other becomes a copy of the first. Like the word "procreate", there is a continuation of the original in the form of the new.
I am willing to accept Paul called people his children in a loving, endearing, sort of family-oriented way but perhaps spiritual father or spiritual son isn’t a real thing. We are God’s children.
John 1:12,13
12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
or...got knocked up, had a bun in the oven...Learn something new every day. Another one to insert into the memory bank.![]()
Begotten can refer to a biological child.
It is not typical for the NT writers to use terms of endearment.
Like in 1 Corinthians 4 Paul wrote: "Even if you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel."
This is not a term of endearment but an outcome of a process. He continues:
"Therefore I urge you, imitate me. For this reason I have sent Timothy to you, who is my beloved and faithful son in the Lord, who will remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach everywhere in every church."
Who better to represent the father of the Corinthian believers (Paul) than his "beloved and faithful son in the Lord" (Timothy)? And what an exhortation! "Imitate me". If we said that today in church we would get run out for being a heretic
But being a father of Timothy (like Paul) does not exclude either he or Timothy from being a child of God. Of course we are all God's children: we all, who are born again of the Spirit, call Him Our Father.
A father and son in the Lord do not necessarily share DNA. It is a relationship signifying a connection in the spirit where the elder watches over the soul of the younger and is responsible for his/her maturity. To the extent that the father must give an account to God.
When we read the following verse: "Obey those who rule over you, and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you."
The question should arise: who watches over my soul to the extent that they must give an account to God? If the answer is, "Well, my pastor" then good. Go ask him for the account he gave to God regarding your unique soul: who you are as a person, your struggles and celebrations, how you are walking out your calling. He should know the names of your children and spouse, who they are in the Lord, the things that they are doing, etc.
If we don't have one who watches over our soul then we have accepted a congregational model (not the house/family model Christ demonstrated) that neglects the believers. It leaves the saints as orphans having to fend for themselves. It fractures the house of God with no one to address divisions and disagreements. In that model there is no one like Paul who can say "Shall I come to you with a rod, or in love and a spirit of gentleness?" So errors/problems simply foment more problems until apathy sets in. Apathy, apeitheō is the English term "disobedient". The church cannot be obedient to a standard of the House of God if it in never presented. This is largely the condition of the church today. This is because we continued what Rome taught us (the congregation model) when we should have continued with fathers and sons, the House of God arranged like a family.
Always love the way you put things and it makes more sense to me now and I agree with you. So there can be such a thing as a spiritual father or perhaps someone who is shepherding the flock, so to speak.
Yes. In my view of scripture, we should all have such a relationship with an elder: someone with whom we have a close walk in our faith. If you think about it this is a similar walk we have with our natural children: we raise them with the wisdom we have gained. But, with that said, it is different. I have certain obligations toward my children simply because I am their natural father and I love them. However, each one has asked me to be their spiritual father, too. With their request I am free to dispense grace in their lives concerning their walk with the Lord. I have other spiritual sons with whom I have no natural obligations save for the affection I have for them. Yet, because they have asked me to watch over their soul as a father in Christ the grace that God gave me is available to them.
Most of my spiritual children are married couples. They enjoy the right of appeal in matters they cannot otherwise resolve together. So, if a wife has a matter with her husband that has caused an impasse they will ask for my help to resolve the matter. And I judge the issues with an eternal view of who they are in the Lord. I once gained a son this way: he was not my spiritual son but his wife asked me to be hers. An impasse arose and she convinced him to speak with me together. He thought I would take her side because of my walk with her, but I judged the matter from his position of head of the household, indeed, head of his wife in Christ (he was a believer just not walking as a son). With some time they both experienced peace on the matter with no division between them. He called me shortly after asking to be my spiritual son. We've been walking that way for about five years now. They are also dear friends.
Onesimus was a slave that ran away from his master Philemon and went to Rome. There he embraced the gospel through the teachings of Paul and converted and became a helper to Paul. He was referred to as begotten by Paul, not of the flesh but of spirit.Was just reading through Philemon and noticed Paul said something about having begotten a son while in prison. From what I can tell, it seems like this is referring to biological offspring. Maybe someone else knows for sure. Thanks!
Philemon 1:10
10I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds:
Onesimus was a slave that ran away from his master Philemon and went to Rome. There he embraced the gospel through the teachings of Paul and converted and became a helper to Paul. He was referred to as begotten by Paul, not of the flesh but of spirit.
Was just reading through Philemon and noticed Paul said something about having begotten a son while in prison. From what I can tell, it seems like this is referring to biological offspring. Maybe someone else knows for sure. Thanks!
Philemon 1:10
10I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds:
Onesimus was Philemon's slave who ran away. It seems likely that Paul is saying that he won him to Christ. He sent Onesimus back to his master, wanting Philemon to receive him well and to allow him to go back to Paul.Was just reading through Philemon and noticed Paul said something about having begotten a son while in prison. From what I can tell, it seems like this is referring to biological offspring. Maybe someone else knows for sure. Thanks!
Philemon 1:10
10I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds: