Direction

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Midge

Could someone lend some encouragement. My son is working at a job where he is hurt physically almost daily because of the work environment. His employer is harsh mentally as well. My son is young and continues to work there but he dosen't look for another job, he isn't interested in school, talks about the military and does nothing to change for his career path. I am very discouraged and I don't know what to do. Any encouragement?

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
How old is your son? Is this his first job?

Feb 11, 2012
Could someone lend some encouragement. My son is working at a job where he is hurt physically almost daily because of the work environment. His employer is harsh mentally as well. My son is young and continues to work there but he dosen't look for another job, he isn't interested in school, talks about the military and does nothing to change for his career path. I am very discouraged and I don't know what to do. Any encouragement?
The best thing you both can be doing now is drawing near to God, and make sure you both are on the right path, that leads to eternal life, there are many horrible things we will have to deal with in this dead world, buy as long as you have breath you can repent, and seek the mercy of God, He will provide for His children, but requires obedience over perfection, and a humble, broken heart, seeking HIm with all your heart and soul!

Jas 4:7 Therefore submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Jas 4:8 Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, sinners; and purify your hearts, double-minded ones.
Jas 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to heaviness.
Jas 4:10 Be humbled before the Lord, and He will lift you up.

U

Ugly

Have you sat down with your son, and calmly, without pressuring and pushing, simply discussed why he stays and why he is not doing more? And asking without injecting your opinion, but actually listening and considering his answers. Then, when you get the answers instead of telling him what he needs to do, ask him what you can do to help him move forward.
If this doesn't work and he's content to stay, well, he's (i'm assuming) an adult and sometimes a parent has to step back and let kids learn things for themselves and not always be the hovering parent trying to protect their child from everything, or always trying to direct their adult childrens lives.

A

Ariel82

why not encourage him to do more than just talk about joining the military?

find out what branch interest him.

Have him take the ASVAP to see what innate skills he has and what jobs inside and outside the military he has an aptitude for and encourage him to look into those career paths.

perhaps he need encouragement that he is smart enough and good enough to pursue those other paths. some people don't try because they are afraid of failure but they need to be reminded if they don't try, then they are assured of failure.

he is probably at the job because he thinks he needs the money and is afraid he won't be able to find another job or he might actually really like the job itself, maybe not just the boss..

how do you know this about his job? does he tell you or by another method?

what do you mean hurt physically? what is their employee health care plan?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AgeofKnowledge

I knew a guy once that roamed around for about twelve years working odd jobs here and there and sometimes taking college classes while talking about being a jet fighter pilot in the Air Force (something there was no way that was ever going to happen) barely making enough to survive.

I was his friend for a couple of years and genuinely liked him as a person. But he couldn't get find roots and moved away.

I heard he eventually joined the Air Force reserve and was trained on ground crew and worked part time at a local airport in that vocation. Unfortunately, he apparently made little money and didn't attend to his diet properly and developed diabetes as a result. He refused to take insulin; however, because that would notify the Air Force and they would discharge him on a medical so hid his condition and eventually died on base from diabetes.

I got an email from his mother inviting me to his military funeral at a local air force base. I went. His mother was distraught.

Not saying this has anything to do with your son but one should develop focus and a hearty work ethic in life or well...

Richard Francis Cerone, Jr (1969 - 1997) - Find A Grave Memorial

M

Midge

Lots of good advice. He talks about his boss and injuries at home. He see's a chiropractor now and has reported a work related injury to his employer. Just recently he has made a meeting with a military recruiter - so there is definetly an interest. Is the ASVAP a test they do when they meet with the recruiter? I did talk to him the other day and mentioned to him that sometimes trying new things can be a little scarey and if he needed to talk little steps that ok too. So, I've been trying to be encouraging and at the same time stepping back.

Thank you all for your advice - I will keep you posted what transpires.

A

AgeofKnowledge

The ASVAB is a multiple-aptitude battery that measures developed abilities and helps predict future academic and occupational success in the military. It is administered annually to more than one million military applicants, high school, and post-secondary students.

Ideally, one would want to learn about the test and prepare for it before taking it. What you'll be offered will be in a large part determined by your ASVAB test results so it's the most important test for those entering the military.

Official Site of the ASVAB Testing Program

I just walked in off the street three days from my high school graduation and they bussed me down to a center where I took the ASVAB with no preparation. I got a decent score. They bussed me to a MEPS (MEPS stands for Military Entrance Processing Station) center in downtown Los Angeles the next day where I took the physical. MEPS is also where you are sworn in and final sign off on career choice confirmed. They pressed me hard to go into a nuclear career path and I could just imagine myself in a silver suit picking up radioactive junk all day so I disqualified myself from that by making up a story I won't go into and then they were all pissed but put me in what I wanted to do... lol before busing me to boot camp.

Also, in my day, the military was a great way to duck the Sheriff if it wasn't a serious case as they only checked for existing convictions and to see who was wanted by the Feds back then. By the time you got back with your honorable discharge (assuming you got an honorable which I did) the statue of limitations had run out and you were unarrestable on the case you ducked out on ;)

But note that if he has medical problems, he should work through them before joining and really think about avoiding the Marines or the Army.

Lots of good advice. He talks about his boss and injuries at home. He see's a chiropractor now and has reported a work related injury to his employer. Just recently he has made a meeting with a military recruiter - so there is definetly an interest. Is the ASVAP a test they do when they meet with the recruiter? I did talk to him the other day and mentioned to him that sometimes trying new things can be a little scarey and if he needed to talk little steps that ok too. So, I've been trying to be encouraging and at the same time stepping back.

Thank you all for your advice - I will keep you posted what transpires.

B

BishopSEH

The US Armed Forces provide excellent opportunities for those willing to take them. Something to talk about with your son. First, he needs to score High if he wants the Air Force. They only take the best and brightest. If he wants to be deployed a lot and see a lot of the world as well and play with some of the best of our military combat rifles then the Marines is the way to go. If he has weight issues but loves the sea go Navy. If he is trim and fit and loves the sea and wants to make a difference closer to home the Coast guard is the way to go. Last, but certainly not least, if he wants to have to most opportunities to shift fields of interest they the Army is the place for him.

Personally, I went Marine Corps. Its harder than every branch of service. You are or can be deployed every 6 months but you are also home every 6 months as well. All other services are 1 year. Basic is longest in the Marines and shortest in the Air Force. the others are all the same time.

Here are some tips for him. First run every day for no less than two miles. If he can get some recorded cadences this will make it easier. Do no less than 50 correct sit ups. Yes there are incorrect sit ups. Do no less than 10 hanging pull ups every day. He can do anything to help himself do it except kip up. The kip up and a swing and jerk done with the legs and stomach muscles and makes pull ups easier but the recruiter will want dead hand pull ups.

As far as food goes, lower salt intake and wipe out most sugar. Lots of water at least 2 quarts a day. Eat a single portion and make it balanced. In basic there is not second helping. If he is a smoker he won't be when he is done. No smokes in Basic and for good reason.

Last but not least, read the entire book his recruiter will provide. It is the UCMJ or Uniform Code of Military Justice aka, the Code of Conduct. Better to know what is required up front.

Hope this helps,

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

I

intercessorginger

Dear Midge,
Nothing hurts more then to see our children hurt as mothers. I encourage you to come on chat and get into prayer about the situation. If that is not possible, take the offensive and pray every day. Pray the word of God about the situation such as, "greater is he that is in my son____ then he that is in the world!, and God has made my son ______the head and not the tail, above only and not underneath and everything he puts his hand to prospers!.
The effective fervent prayer of the righteous..availeth much! There's a great book on prayer if you need direction called "Prayers that Availeth Much" by Germaine Copland, I highly recommend it.

M

Midge

Hi Intercessorginger, I have that Prayer Book !! I've been using it for years off and on. Thanks for your advice.

Dear Midge,
Nothing hurts more then to see our children hurt as mothers. I encourage you to come on chat and get into prayer about the situation. If that is not possible, take the offensive and pray every day. Pray the word of God about the situation such as, "greater is he that is in my son____ then he that is in the world!, and God has made my son ______the head and not the tail, above only and not underneath and everything he puts his hand to prospers!.
The effective fervent prayer of the righteous..availeth much! There's a great book on prayer if you need direction called "Prayers that Availeth Much" by Germaine Copland, I highly recommend it.

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
I would suggest that your son see a physiotherapist rather than a chiropractor as there are less associated risks with physio.