Disagreeable or standing on convictions. I can't find a church!?!?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

I just heard a conversation in chat about how some people can't find a church so they just worship at home. This got me thinking.

If someone lives in an area with tons of churches, but still can't find even ONE to attend, is that a sign they are just sticking to their convictions or is it a sign they're a disagreeable person with no ability for give and take whatsoever?

Before I get too far.........LET ME SAY WHAT THIS DISCUSSION ISN'T ABOUT.....
It's not about people who can't go for some situation beyond their control..ie health..family drama.whatever
It's not about people who live in areas with no or few churches available.
Please don't get bogged down in the semantics of 'what is church'? I think you know what I'm getting at here. Yes we know it's not a building.

I understand the need to do things 'biblically'. I know we all find 'problems' in the church of today. But when is that mentality excessive? When is that mentality possibly a sign you have no room for give and take on things? When is it a sign the issue may be with YOU because you're just disagreeable and it's not about THE church at all?

Personally, I believe there is no perfect 'church'. I also believe that to a certain extent there will have to be things you'll just have to stomach if you attend a church, because they will NEVER be 100% perfect.

So what do you think? Are people simply holding to their convictions? Are people simply being excessively disagreeable?

N

NukePooch

Are people simply being excessively disagreeable?
Simply put, yes.

Everyone is flawed, and most everyone has been hurt or slighted by someone at church. It happens. I'm not going to use it as an excuse to not bother. We are supposed to come together (among other reasons) to support and be supported, to learn and to teach, to worship and to pray with others.

Expecting to not be hurt and treated exactly how I want to be treated when I grace the house of God with my presence? Sounds like MeChurch.

YouTube - meChurch

A

AnandaHya

I think people need to listen to what Jesus says about dealing with people you think of as your enemies: love them, clothe them, feed them.

Now if we are suppose to do that to people who hate us, who would like to see all christians dead, who scorn the name of Jesus and believers who have faith in Him, then why should we show less love to those who are trying to love us? who are trying to be a body of Christ in the world?

No church is perfect because they are made of imperfect people. Most people don't know why we have church at all. a lot of the people who you refer to who are looking for the "perfect church" just are not realistic or honest. To expect to find a perfect church then they must see themselves as perfect. which seems like a really long stretch for me.

People need to be more forgiving of themselves and the church. There will be problems but we should behave as Christians and not just turn tail and run away or hop to another church. If we see evil we rebuke it, if we don't agree we allow the church be guided by the majority of the body of believers on issues that are not directly related to salvation and whether or not someone goes to hell.

For example, dress code does it really matter? to some people yes and to others they are just happy people come to church and worship God. Personally I don't care but dress up for church because that is what is expected, but I know my church family would let me in the door even if I came in dirty jeans and a torn t-shirt. they might look at me weird and ask if everything is alright but they would let me sit through service and have fellowship with them.

church isn't about clothes or rules or doctrines or creeds. Its about Christ's earthly body. we are His hands and feet. we are all given spiritual gifts to be used jointly with other believers for the glory of God. we can do nothing alone only working together with one mind and heart focused on Jesus and guided by the Holy Spirit through the Word which is the Holy Bible.

if you don't find a church how can you truly fulfill what God wants you to do? Our local churches band together to do things such as christmas presents for the orphans, Matthew's ministries which collects food for the children in the public elementary schools that get none at home and only eat when at school (yeah social services have be contacted via the guidance counselors but it still takes months and the kids will still need to eat dinner and on the weekends)

people need to find churches that are active in Missions and good works not just talking the talk but walking the walk as Jesus told us to do.

N

NukePooch

There will be problems but we should behave as Christians and not just turn tail and run away or hop to another church.
First off, yeah. What she said.

Second, are we getting excited to see the Easter Bunny? (poke)

Aug 2, 2009
19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”

21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

John 4:19-24 NIV

1still_waters

19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.

21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

John 4:19-24 NIV
Yeah this falls under my....let's not get in to the semantics of what church is..cuz you can all see what I'm gettin at... category..

Yeah the church isn't a building...yada yada..........that's not what I'm talkin about here. :p

N

NukePooch

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

1 Timothy 4:11 Command and teach these things. 12 Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. 13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.

Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Acts 6:42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

N

NukePooch

Yeah this falls under my....let's not get in to the semantics of what church is..cuz you can all see what I'm gettin at... category..

Yeah the church isn't a building...yada yada..........that's not what I'm talkin about here. :p
Exactly...the question is more do we go it solo or with others? The Bible never says to go it alone, but it does repeatedly say to learn from and teach others.

J

Jullianna

Very wise saying, "If you ever find a perfect church, don't go there. You'll mess it up."

I can't imagine ever finding a church where I'm going to agree with every single thing, but that's the beauty of it. We're all imperfect people yielding ourselves to be more like Christ. We're supposed to be edifying one another..encouraging one another...loving one another. That's how Jesus said we would be known.

Besides, there's always the possibility that I could be wrong. ;) When we stop learning, we stop growing.

1still_waters

On the other hand, like I often do, I'm about to totally contradict myself. I kinda like the house church idea............

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
I think the community is the most important part of Church. Whether its a house church or a Mega-church, it is still a church.

I frequent an Eastern Orthodox, Nazarene, Foursquare and Calvary Chapel, because I love the people that go to these different places of Worship. We are all Christians, one body of believers. I know they each have doctrinal disagreements but, I do not worry about about opinions, only fruit. I love Christians and I love being apart of a faith that has so much light and love. It is a blessing to know each and every one of you. :)

In the grand scheme of things my opinions about the mysteries of God that we may disagree on and separate ourselves about do nothing to promote Knowledge Wisdom or Faith by me expressing them. My reservations are my own.

However, I cannot get my father to go to any church, he finds fault in all of them. He has a quarrel with someone or a disagreement some belief in every church I know of. I pray and worry about him.

L

lightbliss

I agree with the previous posts but sometimes it's not that we can't find a "good" church, sometimes we shun churches based on denomination.

If I'm used to singing two hymns written on a church program followed by a fifteen minute sermon,and if I want to find a different church to attend, then a Pentecostal church wouldn't even be on the list.

So, I think how we prefer a church to be factors into our decision whether to attend it or not

Aug 2, 2009
True story: Someone once was very troubled by the problems and scandals that rocked her church and she considered leaving it but she prayed and prayed that God guide her to a decision and one day while she was sitting in church she heard a voice say, "my ministers are not perfect, but I AM." She knew immediately that despite the shortcomings of her church, the one who she worships there is the only thing that is really important. And that churches will never be perfect because they are built and run by human hands.

1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. ..4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

Romans 14:1,4 NIV

T

thimsrebma

I think for many people its an excuse to not be consistent in their worship and fellowship. I am not saying you cannot worship alone becuase I do that more often than I go to church. (I dont only worship on sunday) But I am saying that it takes discipline to get up every sunday or whenever you go, listen and sit still for few hours, talk to folks you probably think you have nothing in common with, hug little old lady's, etc.

That takes work and can also be hard if you are striking out alone as an adult single. I think people say thay can't find a church but there is no way they have been to all of them in their city so how would they know.

L

Liz01

It happened to me.
I had to change of church years ago and wanted to find another one. There are a lot of churches here were you can go but when i tried to find one then all kind of denominations came out and i didnt have any idea of which one choose, besides that i was going to go alone so it was hard to just pick up one of them.
So i started to pray and pray and asking to God to give me the church that he wanted to me and then someone from work invited me to her church and it was perfect for me, in schedules, place, and everything.
So i really think that if someone need to find a church to go they should ask to God and he will give you one.

F

francina

Well, stick with the bible.
English Standard Version
But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.
1 You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that! 6 They are the kind who work their way into people’s homes and win the confidence of vulnerable women who are burdened with the guilt of sin and controlled by various desires. 7 (Such women are forever following new teachings, but they are never able to understand the truth.) 8 These teachers oppose the truth just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses. They have depraved minds and a counterfeit faith.
39 Then Jesus gave the following illustration: “Can one blind person lead another? Won’t they both fall into a ditch? 40 Students are not greater than their teacher. But the student who is fully trained will become like the teacher.

Now the good
17 Dear brothers and sisters, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow our example. 18 For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ.
3 John 1:11
New Living Translation
Dear friend, don’t let this bad example influence you. Follow only what is good. Remember that those who do good prove that they are God’s children, and those who do evil prove that they do not know God.
2Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

It is much easier to be tolerant but these are the last days & there are many false churches to be more accurate. If Jesus, Paul, Peter, Jude,( is there anyone who did not warn of false teachings??) - it is foolish to be flippant about it.