Discussion, debate, sport ... a downward spiral too common?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 15, 2011
When discussion of faith and thoughts on christianity becomes a debate your going towards a dead end...when the debate of faith and christianity becomes a sport then it is of no value to those involved, just a game to 'win it out' . I find this a lot in the christian forums lately...it is distractive and not helpful.It surpasses the meaning to further understanding and is replaced with ramblings just to 'win'.
Also sometimes we can be caught up too much on the 'measures of the ark'(so to speak) and get distracted from what we are really supposed to be focused on...relationship with Christ and spreading the Truth.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
When discussion of faith and thoughts on christianity becomes a debate your going towards a dead end...when the debate of faith and christianity becomes a sport then it is of no value to those involved, just a game to 'win it out' . I find this a lot in the christian forums lately...it is distractive and not helpful.It surpasses the meaning to further understanding and is replaced with ramblings just to 'win'.
Also sometimes we can be caught up too much on the 'measures of the ark'(so to speak) and get distracted from what we are really supposed to be focused on...relationship with Christ and spreading the Truth.
Amen and God bless. :)
pickles

R

Ramon

AMEN!!!! May Jesus bless you!

Jan 15, 2011
Now in my premier christian community forum the choice of the word debate has caused a bit of misunderstanding.A difference between an openminded debate, used to further understanding of something, and a closeminded debate which is much lik...e a lawyer case you read in a book lol.They may know that they are wrong but they testify everything that supports them and try hard to not mention or avoid something that will disprove them...it is the job, the work, the sport, the game.The way it is done...I have been to a few christian debates like this.No one goes into the debate to learn which perspective is conclusive...just to win....haha don't know if anyone here had that misunderstanding just makin sure I am understood that I am NOT against a good open minded debate to learn and firther understand.

A

AnandaHya

yes and the key things to notice the transition between discussion and debate is:

1. you or they repeat a point already made
2. someone gets mad and starts making personal attacks
3. one or more involved is convinced they are right and forget that it is more important for GOD to be right
4. when Jesus is mentioned the people tell you, that that is not the topic of that thread

as someone said. "stop, make sharp turn, avoid" or

2 Timothy 2:23
But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife

G

Gimzani

I prefer the term "Midrash". The Hebrews have always done this in regard to scripture.

The western mind uses the term debate - and you're right - to support an argument, any argument, even if you do not necessarily believe it. This has done a great disservice to humanity.

Let us instead midrash over scripture to discern greater meaning and learn from each other.

Jan 15, 2011
Gimzani, Nice I do like that.Some people get the whole discussion and debate thing mixed up as if they are one and the same.lol.... 'midrash' ...huh neat, lol.Everything about your comment is correct I do believe.