Divorce is unbiblical

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jimmydiggs

Homosexuality is natural, as TheGrungeDiva pointed out, given the thousands of species that practice it.
Sure, it's natural in the same since that killing each other is natural, as they both occur in nature. The question is one of purpose, and thus there has occurred what would appear to be an equivocation of terms.

Is the Bible really a credible source of rules of conduct, as luciddream believes?
Yup.

If you think it is then to be consistent you also have to apply Leviticus 19:19 (NIV):

“‘Do not mate different kinds of animals. Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material."
Theology fail.

S

SantoSubito

Sure, it's natural in the same since that killing each other is natural, as they both occur in nature. The question is one of purpose, and thus there has occurred what would appear to be an equivocation of terms.
I would also add some more things to this list. Incest, rape, and cannibalism should also be dubbed "natural" by their definition since all three of those are well documented in nature.

L

Lifelike

God hates divorce, but He also hates abuse. There are valid reasons for divorce other than infidelity. Another point worth mentioning is that not all marriage is of God. Men and woman do many things for many reasons, and many of those things and reasons are not OK with God, including many marriages. As a Christian, we have a higher responsibility and standard when it comes to marriage, and many don't know how powerful, special, important, and meaningful marriage is in and to God. Just like anything in the kingdom, this kind of knowledge needs to come by revelation, from the Father.

T

TheGrungeDiva

Easy to say. I notice you have no intelligent rebuttal, however. Simply stating that someone's argument "fails" is not a valid counter. If you have something of substance which actually provides evidence against the thesis, I would be happy to respond and/or concede.

(By the way, that is the educated, effective, honest, and polite way to say, "Fail.")

T

TheGrungeDiva

I would also add some more things to this list. Incest, rape, and cannibalism should also be dubbed "natural" by their definition since all three of those are well documented in nature.
I have to agree. Saying that something is okay just because it is "natural" is not necessarily true. Just because something occurs in nature does not automatically make it non-sinful. It just means that it is natural.

I think the point is, that the Bible has been proven wrong. The Bible says that homosexuality is unnatural, and we have proven that to be false. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that homosexuality is okay, or that divorce is okay, or that killing is okay, or that picking your nose is okay. It just means that when the Bible says "homosexuality is not natural" the Bible is incorrect, for whatever reason, because we know without a doubt that homosexuality DOES occur in nature, and by definition that means that it is natural.

So, we are left with two choices: either the Bible is wrong (a choice which I reject) or the Bible has been misinterpreted (a far better choice). If you look at the text, you find that Paul never really says HOMOSEXUALITY is unnatural. Paul says that a certain group of people, who HAD been naturally straight, gave up their natural attraction for the opposite gender, and became unnaturally interested in the same gender. Paul was referring to a specific group of people at a specific time in a specific place. He was not describing all gays for all time in all places. An honest reading of the passage in question shows that the homosexuality was actually a punishment sent upon a group of people because of their sin, that the sin was not the homosexuality itself, but that the sin was something else, and that because of that sin, God gave them up to unnatural lusts.

My interpretation above is somewhat radical. I will admit that. But the only other option is that Paul was just plain wrong. I'm not sure I'm willing to say that. If Paul is WRONG, that means you can't really trust him in ANYTHING he says, and you have to throw out all the letters in Scripture as being potentially wrong. I'm just not ready to make that move. Now, if y'all are so convinced that Paul is wrong, you can throw out Scripture. That's fine with me. I will support your right to worship as you see fit.

As a Biblical apologist, I just can't do that. I need to find a way to uphold Scripture, to make it fit with what I know to be true, rather than throw Scripture away just because I don't like what it says.

The choice is yours. Keep Scripture or toss it. Either way. Just be consistent about it, and don't claim to be "bible-based" if you toss it one on thing and then cling to it on something else. That's just hypocritical.

L

luciddream1982

I think the point is, that the Bible has been proven wrong. The Bible says that homosexuality is unnatural, and we have proven that to be false..
We have a sin nature....do you know what that means? It means sin comes naturally, but sin still goes against Gods original natural order.

M

mori

An honest reading of the passage in question shows that the homosexuality was actually a punishment sent upon a group of people because of their sin, that the sin was not the homosexuality itself, but that the sin was something else, and that because of that sin, God gave them up to unnatural lusts.
It's curious to me that folks see the homosexuality as being the primary consequence in that passage. They burned with lust, for instance. It's not just that they were attracted to the same sex. Moreover:

They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy.
I wonder how many people who disobeyed their parents thought this passage was as clear a condemnation of them. Or even gossips! But no, the passage is somehow about the gays.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
...An honest reading of the passage in question shows that the homosexuality was actually a punishment sent upon a group of people because of their sin, that the sin was not the homosexuality itself, but that the sin was something else, and that because of that sin, God gave them up to unnatural lusts...
Which is often overlooked. While there should be no denial that practised homosexuality is sin, one also need to look at the wider picture of the scriptures that could refer to Rom.1:18-32.
Gen.13

[13] But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly.
Ezek.16

[49] Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
As seen one major issue with the sodomites was their refusal to help their poor and needy, even when they did have the means and possibility to do so.

Paul and John on the ways of the gentiles, or "the world":

Eph.4

[17] This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
[18] Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:
[19] Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.
1John.2

[15] Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
[16] For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
Yet the very fact that homosexuality is mentioned as a sign of reprobation doesn't precisely speak in favor of a possible "positive" view on it.
Rom.1

[28] And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

T

TheGrungeDiva

Yet the very fact that homosexuality is mentioned as a sign of reprobation doesn't precisely speak in favor of a possible "positive" view on it.
Very few gays and lesbians I have met see it as a "positive" thing. Even those who say it is not a sin acknowledge that it is a cross to bear. Most say if they could choose it, they would rather be straight.

So you won't get any argument on that point from me.

C

Consumed

All creation cries out for His return, all are under the curse, whats natural then? Do we look to a fallen world for our morals, to the animals for our morals or do we look and believe the Word of God when He says something is not natural -

For it pertains to His original design when God speaks of whats natural.

Serpent seed sowers cast seeds to cast doubt to justify lifestyles that are against His Word.

S

sunshine_debbie

What I find the most curious is how many people think they have the right to pass judgement on someone with a different sexual preference. Do I think that homosexuality is wrong and against God's word, yes I do. However, God also gave us free will. He gave his only son to die for our sins. Time and time again in his word he has spoken against gossip and deceit and backbiting. Is it not possible that through God's amazing grace we can love the sinner and not the sin? God tells us that one day we will all account for the things we have done in our life. HE is the judge, and I would prefer that he remain the judge. He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone. But just remember, to God a sin is a sin is a sin. So hate is no less a sin then homosexuality. Taking the Lord's name in vain is the same as homosexuality. Are you starting to get the picture? Trust in God, he will handle the sinners without our help.

T

TheGrungeDiva

What I find the most curious is how many people think they have the right to pass judgement on someone with a different sexual preference. Do I think that homosexuality is wrong and against God's word, yes I do. However, God also gave us free will. He gave his only son to die for our sins. Time and time again in his word he has spoken against gossip and deceit and backbiting. Is it not possible that through God's amazing grace we can love the sinner and not the sin? God tells us that one day we will all account for the things we have done in our life. HE is the judge, and I would prefer that he remain the judge. He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone. But just remember, to God a sin is a sin is a sin. So hate is no less a sin then homosexuality. Taking the Lord's name in vain is the same as homosexuality. Are you starting to get the picture? Trust in God, he will handle the sinners without our help.
Thank you for saying what I've been trying to say so much more eloquently. :)

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I wasnt able to read all of this thread, so if I have repeated another, Im sorry.
I saw, even though many dissagree about how to speak to divorce or homosexuality, most have agreed that these things go against God, are sin.
I m not looking to debate these issues, as sin is sin, and we all have sinned.
But the one issue that I see often overlooked is that some want to find a way to justify divorce, homosexuality or other sins that the world gives approval too.
I know there were times in my life I wanted Jesus to give me some kind of understanding and a pass on some sins that were not really wrong, and I wanted to find some way to approve because the world did.
I know I would not want another to judge me in these things, simply because they didnt know my heart or reason.
But useing an excuse or reason is not what we can look to.
You see, every person has to see that if they are in Jesus, you cannot look to any reason, excuse or approval from another or the world, because the sin debated is not with man, but God .
My heart hurts for those that struggle with divorce or homosexuality, but if one approves them in their act, one condemns them as much, as to judge them wrong and condemn them.
I guess what Im trying to say, is the debate is not with man, but God, for He has put before us what is sin, or not sin, so we may have a standard to live by.
One is called not to condemn or judge the person, but to witness to what is sin, judgeing the act, so to spare another from sinning, or falling away.
But we also have Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh, who's grace given, is our salvation through faith.
We can never aprove sin, we must witess to what we are called to in Jesus, and sin, we are called to set aside, to repent.
But, we are also called to love and serve all in Jesus , even those who sin, because this is what Jesus has done for us.

in Jesus, God bless
pickles

E

eagle4031

Isa 50:1 Thus saith the LORD, Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement, whom I have put away? or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away.

Jer 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

God divorced Israel

You think if a man gets drunk and beats his wife everyday that she shouldn't be able to divorce him?
by beating his wife he has been unfaithful to the marraige and the covenant. to love her is a requirement

E

eagle4031

Brilliant post