Divorce?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is it ok to divorce?

• No

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Yes, for any reasonable cause

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Yes, only if sexual infidelity has occurred

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I don’t know

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Not enough choices. Its not that easy. Well we can read here just because we say Jesus is lord AMEN so what? Well some are still not going to follow what's written for its about self. Love always thinks of the other... hello Jesus. Were still human and we do so many things based on how we feel. God never wanted it. What else is there to say? If its done you don't look back get up dust off keep going.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Divorce was once tolerated, but it was never encouraged. It was never "ok".

Matthew 19:6
“Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.”

K

kaylagrl

Please vote and give brief explanation of your belief.
Just simply what the Bible says, except for fornication. I also believe abusive situations are implied, I don't believe God would want a person to suffer abuse in a marriage.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
Not enough choices. It’s not that easy. Well we can read here just because we say Jesus is lord AMEN so what? Well some are still not going to follow what's written for its about self. Love always thinks of the other... hello Jesus. Were still human and we do so many things based on how we feel. God never wanted it. What else is there to say? If it’s done you don't look back get up dust off keep going.
Whichever one best describes your understanding of scripture.
1. Under no circumstance
2. For any reasonable cause such as sexual immorality or physical abuse etc.
3. Sexual immorality only.
4. I don’t know

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Matthew 19:
5And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. 7They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? 8He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. 9And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

The exception clause does not imply that divorce is "ok". It just states that remarriage will not be counted as adultery. Forgiveness and reconciliation is always the right thing to do...

Mark 11:26
“But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.”

L

Locoponydirtman

Most divorces are initiated by women, and the main reason is financial. I wonder if modernity, toxic feminism, and materialism has let us down.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I believe divorce is not God's plan but he allows divorce because of the hardness of people's hearts.
Yes. It is not a good thing.

presidente

May 29, 2013
If someone gets gets divorced or separated because of abuse, why would it not be adulterous to remarry? Separation keeps them safe, but how does the safety issue do away with the adultery issue?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
If someone gets gets divorced or separated because of abuse, why would it not be adulterous to remarry? Separation keeps them safe, but how does the safety issue do away with the adultery issue?
It doesn't.
Matthew 19:9
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
Any reasonable cause, as laid out in Deuteronomy 24:1-4, specifically uncleanness/ervah used 50+ times in the OT. Usages are many disgraceful acts, including but not limited to sexual immorality.

Jesus never changed or voided this law he gave to Moses.

Most westerners are confused by a bad translation of the word apoluo in the NT and a lack of biblical hermeneutics.

If you’re truly seeking understanding on this doctrine I suggest looking to our Messianic Jewish brothers. They have a much better grasp on the topic linguistically, contextually, historically...