Do Actions Define The Person?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Do Actions Define The Person?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can't handle decisions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
N

nobadee

Simple question: Do the actions of an individual define who they are? In the bible we are asked to hate the sin; but, love the person. I have trouble with this concept; because, I see what a person does as being part of who they are. Even if we choose to "hate the sin", we would inevitably be hating the person to my understand. You can't convince yourself that you love someone who murders people for sport. It's just unreal; because, you've already rationalized in your mind that this person is evil based on their actions.

S

ShelleBelle76

There are a lot of reasons why people do the things they do. Mental illness, oppression, possesion, hurt, and anger and confusion are just a few.

Ultimately we are all responsible for our own actions, but our actions do not neccesarily define us. This is an interesting topic for me, because I am still trying to come to terms with my own life. If I was defined by poor choices I made, you would know me as a drug dealer. I would be defined as a thief, a whore and a drug addict.

I know now there were many reasons for the choices I made. I was molested as a child, hated by my father, raped as a teenager, and beaten as a wife. I was betrayed by everyone I ever loved, and survived my life instead of living it. I found ways to self medicated, ways to feel good about myself, and ways that I thought would make living a bit easier, until I could die, often wishing that just one of those bad choices would end my life. I don't even think they were concious choices... just an inevidable thing I did in my fog of existance. I was not living in reality and did everything I could to avoid it.

One could have argued that I was a horrible person. But I always had a good heart. Inside of me, deep where no one could ever see, I was vulnerable, I hated the way I was destroying myself, and I knew what I was doing was wrong. Even when I questioned God's existance, studied witchcraft, and played very dangerous games, that was not who I was at my core.

I know it is hard to see someone for who they are in spite of the things that they do, especially when they do horrible things to others. But no one is beyond the grace of God, and even though we do things because we believe it is right for whatever reason, we are never truly defined until we make a choice about our salvation.

Think of all the people that Saul had persecuted unto death before his journey on the road to Damascus. He was a cold hearted killer! And God transformed him, and GOD defined him - he was to be the Apostal Paul, a man of God and would lead many to salvation. He was not defined by his actions, but he was defined by God. :)

That gives me hope...

D

Dmurray

Jesus said you will know them by their fruit.