Do You Believe Christian Unbelief is a Sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Do You Believe Christian Unbelief is a Sin?

• No, I DO NOT believe it is a sin to not believe in Jesus Christ. I DO NOT believe in Jesus Christ.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I DO believe it is a sin to not believe in Jesus Christ. I DO NOT believe in Jesus Christ.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MerSee

Jan 13, 2024
What, in your opinion is "correctly"? I don't know a single Christian (a person who has accepted Jesus Christ as her/his Savior) who doesn't believe what they have professed.

"Correctly" has the ring of legalism.
Sound Doctrine. (y)

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Chris·tian
relating to or professing Christianity or its teachings

Un·be·lief
lack of religious belief; an absence of faith

What I am getting from the quotes above: many people believe there is no such thing as Christian Unbelief. If a person does not believe Jesus correctly, they are an unbeliever and not a Christian.
Is English your primary language?

tylerbones1313

May 1, 2022
What I am getting from the quotes above: many people believe there is no such thing as Christian Unbelief. If a person does not believe Jesus correctly, they are an unbeliever and not a Christian.
While it's crucial to have a correct understanding of who Jesus is—acknowledging Him as the Son of God, the Savior of the world, and the risen Lord—Scripture also shows that understanding and faith can grow and deepen over time.

The essence of being a Christian is rooted in faith in Jesus Christ and a personal relationship with Him, as stated in John 3:16 (NKJV): "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." This verse highlights belief in Jesus as the foundational criterion for salvation and eternal life. However, the New Testament also recognizes the diversity of individuals' understanding and the process of growth in faith. For instance, the disciples themselves, even after spending extensive time with Jesus, had moments of misunderstanding and lack of faith (e.g., Mark 4:40, Luke 24:25-27).

Moreover, the story of the man whose son was healed by Jesus in Mark 9:24, who exclaimed, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!" illustrates that faith can coexist with doubt and that sincerity of heart matters to God. This indicates that while correct belief about Jesus is essential, God is also patient and merciful with our process of coming to fuller understanding and deeper faith.

It's important to distinguish between willful rejection of core truths about Jesus and the honest journey of faith, which can involve wrestling with doubts and growing in understanding. The New Testament encourages believers to grow in their knowledge of Jesus (2 Peter 3:18) and to bear with one another in love, recognizing that we are at different stages in our spiritual journey (Ephesians 4:2).

In summary, while a correct understanding of Jesus is central to Christian faith, Scripture teaches that faith is also a journey. Believers are encouraged to seek a deeper knowledge of Christ, and the Christian community is called to foster an environment of grace and patience, helping one another grow in the knowledge and love of Jesus.

MerSee

Jan 13, 2024
What exactly are you trying to say?
Matthew 7:26-29
26 And every one that heareth these my words, and doth them not, shall be like a foolish man that built his house upon the sand, 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and they beat upon that house, and it fell, and great was the fall thereof. 28 And it came to pass when Jesus had fully ended these words, the people were in admiration at his doctrine. 29 For he was teaching them as one having power, and not as the scribes and Pharisees.

jamessb

Feb 10, 2024
Santa Fe NM
Matthew 7:26-29
26 And every one that heareth these my words, and doth them not, shall be like a foolish man that built his house upon the sand, 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and they beat upon that house, and it fell, and great was the fall thereof. 28 And it came to pass when Jesus had fully ended these words, the people were in admiration at his doctrine. 29 For he was teaching them as one having power, and not as the scribes and Pharisees.
Those are not your words. I asked you a question and I would like an answer from you, not a quote from the King James Bible.

MerSee

Jan 13, 2024
Those are not your words. I asked you a question and I would like an answer from you, not a quote from the King James Bible.
I am also saying the same thing.(y)

jamessb

Feb 10, 2024
Santa Fe NM
I am also saying the same thing.(y)
Exactly what are you saying?

I asked you a question and I would like an answer from you, not a quote from the King James Bible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again,

You wrote: The sound doctrine of Jesus Christ is correct Christianity. (This is not a question.)
I replied: What exactly are you trying to say? (This is a question.)

Can you answer the question or not?

MerSee

Jan 13, 2024
Exactly what are you saying?

I asked you a question and I would like an answer from you, not a quote from the King James Bible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again,

You wrote: The sound doctrine of Jesus Christ is correct Christianity. (This is not a question.)
I replied: What exactly are you trying to say? (This is a question.)

Can you answer the question or not?
I believe correct doctrine from Jesus Christ is true.