Do you say "bless you" to sin sick unbelievers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hhhlga89

Apr 23, 2012
I always feel uncomfortable when someone sneezes, not that I’m a germaphobe, I just don’t know what to say. I usually just say “oh, you’re sick?”. I don’t feel that as a Christian I should give an unbeliever the slightest idea that God’s blessing could ever be directly bestowed upon them. I know believers can be recipients of God’s goodness by His “common grace” and even unbelievers being blessed by being associated with unbelievers (like Joseph and Potiphar), but these seem to be indirect or just a general thing that isn’t individual or direct. You might think I am taking this too seriously, but why? Why should I continue to make the blessing of God a flippant idea like others (mostly non-believers)? Why would I (or you) make an unbeliever think they are somehow in right standing with God, that somehow he would be willing to heal them? I am slightly aware of the history of this phrase..something about the Middle Ages and people being superstitious, I think.. But that doesn’t take away anything from what I am saying. I think Christians should stop saying this..I’m not going to protest, I’m not even going to correct Christians who say it to others, it’s just my personal light conviction that I hope others will adopt if they take time to ponder what they are saying.

Proverbs 17:27 - A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
Well, this is how I look at it: the greatest blessing of all would be if they came to know Jesus. So, I can say "God bless you" to pretty much anyone, and mean it.

N

nw2u

I never mean it as an insult. I don't remember anyone ever taking it that way. Mom and dad said it and I do too. If God blesses them, maybe they will find Jesus. Who knows? It can't hurt them.

Aug 29, 2012
I always say, "God bless you" and have on numerous occasions had quite a little tiff result from this. But, I always counter with, "well Go would love to bless you, if you would let him...". Only one guy did bite on that lure and he did become a Christian a short time later, I planted a seed! uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh!

W

wwjd_kilden

We don't have that expression. However people here tend to use the term "Hallelujah" to express that they enjoy something a lot.

Sometimes I cannot resist the urge to reply "Yes indeed! Praise the Lord" :D

S

ShellyLoreate

I say it as a prayer, and only to those who know that I mean it, never to strangers unless they seem receptive. For those I say it to myself. I always take the opportunity to pray for them (believers and non-believers). I have never had anyone take it as an insult, nor do I say it in a non-meaningful way. I hear what you are saying, if you don't mean it you shouldn't say it, I guess. But I agree with some of the others here, God wants to bless everyone, he loves them all.

O

OFM

i know the history but i say it to bless them in Gods Love for them,and hopefully they will durning the day see a Blessing from God Our Heavenly Father,amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........!!!!!!!!!!!