Do you think it's right for parents to smoke/drink around their children?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Tsalagi

Banned [Reason: ongoing "gay Christian" agenda --
May 19, 2012
Since second hand smoke causes health problems and alcohol impairs your judgement, do you think that it's responsible for parents to smoke/drink in the home?

Personally, as a teen, I think it's unfair and dangerous. If someone breaks into our apartment, no one needs to be drunk (or even a "little bit" drunk). Smoking cigarettes is also unfair to nonsmokers because we have breathe it in and get all of the side effects of it. Not to mention, dropping a cigarette can do a lot of damage (burn the carpet/file, destroy clothes, start a fire).

Aug 8, 2010
I have nothing against parents who drink around their children, it's a matter of showing them what responsible drinking is, if you are hammered around them all the time then yes we have a problem.

I do not like parents who smoke inside with their kids. Second hand smoke is dangerous at least make an effort to avoid doing it around them.

N

needmesomejesus

Nothing wrong with drinking around the kids unless their passed out drunk..... smoking on the other hand should be done outside to prevent second hand smoke.

N

NinJaGGS

I don't think there is any need to shield children from the reality of smoking and drinking, a very prevalent thing in our society, part of me thinks that it could give them a compassionate eye into the lives of people who choose to smoke and drink, in which case it would be a gift from God that the child experienced life with a smoker or drinker.

whether or not someone is passed out when someone else breaks into the home seems a very convoluted idea, first of all true Christians don't have the right to defend their lives in a case where someone would take it, perhaps another's life... but not our own (turning the other cheek)
I am a firm believer that God has the control in any situation, if the house were robbed, then that is God's will, if my father is an alcoholic then that is God's will and if not God's will then all can be made good by God, if my child is resentful of my alcoholism then I trust that God will guide them to the paths of repentance.

drinking and smoking are not the underlying issue, the division of God and man and the disunity of the heart and the mind cause all of these surface disturbances like sexual deviancy, alcoholism, substance abuse, anger, sadness and the like, A drunken man cannot be expected to unify his heart and mind because really he is not in control of his life, the alcohol is.

People who recover from alcoholism tend to be much more humble in my experiences with them, they know they are weak and have to ask for help, where as a much more disguised problem like massive narcissism may go unnoticed until one advances many years ( problems like narcissim are encouraged by american culture television the internet ect.. but alcoholism is seen in our culture with disdain, which i am assuming would make it easier to become a recovering alcoholic than a recovering narcissist)

N

needmesomejesus

I don't think there is any need to shield children from the reality of smoking and drinking, a very prevalent thing in our society, part of me thinks that it could give them a compassionate eye into the lives of people who choose to smoke and drink, in which case it would be a gift from God that the child experienced life with a smoker or drinker.

whether or not someone is passed out when someone else breaks into the home seems a very convoluted idea, first of all true Christians don't have the right to defend their lives in a case where someone would take it, perhaps another's life... but not our own (turning the other cheek)
I am a firm believer that God has the control in any situation, if the house were robbed, then that is God's will, if my father is an alcoholic then that is God's will and if not God's will then all can be made good by God, if my child is resentful of my alcoholism then I trust that God will guide them to the paths of repentance.

drinking and smoking are not the underlying issue, the division of God and man and the disunity of the heart and the mind cause all of these surface disturbances like sexual deviancy, alcoholism, substance abuse, anger, sadness and the like, A drunken man cannot be expected to unify his heart and mind because really he is not in control of his life, the alcohol is.

People who recover from alcoholism tend to be much more humble in my experiences with them, they know they are weak and have to ask for help, where as a much more disguised problem like massive narcissism may go unnoticed until one advances many years ( problems like narcissim are encouraged by american culture television the internet ect.. but alcoholism is seen in our culture with disdain, which i am assuming would make it easier to become a recovering alcoholic than a recovering narcissist)
I think the idea that Christians can't defend themselves is dumb and not biblical.

N

NinJaGGS

Maybe not according to the Old Testament.
We are called to repay good for evil.
If somebody tries to hurt you, do not resist.
It is in the bible. Its right there even though it tends to be skimmed over
TURN THE OTHER CHEEK
do not fight back, do not resist evil, that is as truly Christian as Christ dying on the cross for our sins.
Christ did not fight back when they took him to be crucified, likewise it is unchristian to submit to violence to preserve ones own life.
Maybe you can fight, but for other people's lives, not your own.

N

NinJaGGS

all of the violence of alcohol occurs when the drinker isn't passed out. I've never been hit by a passed out person, but I have been punched in the face by quite a few drunk people.

Tsalagi

Banned [Reason: ongoing "gay Christian" agenda --
May 19, 2012
I'm all for nonviolence but I also don't believe in letting people kill me or my family if I can help it. And I have no idea how it is a "gift" to have a smoker or a drinker for a parent.

shawntc

May 7, 2010
Since second hand smoke causes health problems and alcohol impairs your judgement, do you think that it's responsible for parents to smoke/drink in the home?

Personally, as a teen, I think it's unfair and dangerous. If someone breaks into our apartment, no one needs to be drunk (or even a "little bit" drunk). Smoking cigarettes is also unfair to nonsmokers because we have breathe it in and get all of the side effects of it. Not to mention, dropping a cigarette can do a lot of damage (burn the carpet/file, destroy clothes, start a fire).
Should they do these? Let's consider this.

Drinking? I'm of the opinion that drinking is not a sin. Being drunk, however, is. And you shouldn't be drunk around your children. When your judgment is impaired and inhibitions are out the window (and I don't give a darn how "well controlled" you are when drunk, it's still possible) who knows what you are going to do?

Smoking? I don't think you should do that around kids. However, you might have to face the problem I have: namely, my parents refuse to believe that smoking and secondhand smoke are bad for you, and they don't like it when I fuss about the smoke.

N

needmesomejesus

Maybe not according to the Old Testament.
We are called to repay good for evil.
If somebody tries to hurt you, do not resist.
It is in the bible. Its right there even though it tends to be skimmed over
TURN THE OTHER CHEEK
do not fight back, do not resist evil, that is as truly Christian as Christ dying on the cross for our sins.
Christ did not fight back when they took him to be crucified, likewise it is unchristian to submit to violence to preserve ones own life.
Maybe you can fight, but for other people's lives, not your own.
I think that's taking the word out of context. When Christ says not to repay evil for evil he was talking about revenge not self-defense. And you can't compare Christ's death because he was giving his life up for us as a ransom. I'm sure Christ doesn't want us to just sit around and let people beat us up or kill us. The disciples of Christ had swords with them. Also I don't think the old testament versions of self defense are out of date.

F

frankleespeaking

personally I think it should be viewed as child endangerment, nothing burns me up more than seeing adults smoking in their car in the colder months with their windows up and kids in child seats in the back

sure 20 somthing years ago people were ignorant to its effects......today people are just plain ignorant

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
I think parents should be examples

N

NinJaGGS

I'm all for nonviolence but I also don't believe in letting people kill me or my family if I can help it. And I have no idea how it is a "gift" to have a smoker or a drinker for a parent.
God blesses us with misfortunes so that we may be purified of sins. Maybe an alcoholic parent may push a person to truly repenting of the sins we are all guilty of. If you stop seeing things as bad, evil and against the will of God, then you can see how God is working salvation, even though evil exists, his love is accomplishing good despite evil.

N

NinJaGGS

I think that's taking the word out of context. When Christ says not to repay evil for evil he was talking about revenge not self-defense. And you can't compare Christ's death because he was giving his life up for us as a ransom. I'm sure Christ doesn't want us to just sit around and let people beat us up or kill us. The disciples of Christ had swords with them. Also I don't think the old testament versions of self defense are out of date.
you can believe what you will. I find it remarkably powerful when someone takes a punch in the face and doesn't even bat an eye. Christ would want us to do as he said to do and love our enemies, even to our own deaths!!

A

AnandaHya

you can believe what you will. I find it remarkably powerful when someone takes a punch in the face and doesn't even bat an eye. Christ would want us to do as he said to do and love our enemies, even to our own deaths!!
i'm glad you do not counsel battered and abused women and children. ...

those verses are about vengeance not self defense.

N

needmesomejesus

You can love someone and still defend yourself. And Christ taught against vengeance not against self defense. I hope you aren't the one watching someone take a punch to the face....

N

NinJaGGS

I make myself a hypocrite to what i was saying by trying to defend myself. Have it your way.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
I think what was meant by watching someone not respond to the "punch in the face" by the power of forgiveness is what speaks volumes.

Where I come from if we moved out the way for another giving them ground we were letting "ourselves down" losing respect of friends.....

The mentality was they move for you, now I see that it is better to give way to another....

So, before where hitting the person back was the only credible thing to do in front of others, now I see how it is better to take the hit and not repay it with a hit.

I was raised if someone hits you, hit them back harder......

I teach my boys to forgive the person....