Do you understand Biblical repentance?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

virteous_man

I have come to the conclusion that theology is just another way of mankind trying to rationalize God. GOD IS NOT A THEORY! He is very real and with me right now. He is with us today. The victory is hear and now in reality right where you are. I PRAISE YOU JESUS! This was considered baby steps to the early christians but us today think it is meat.
Heb:6:1: Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb:6:2: Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
Heb:6:3: And this will we do, if God permit.
The very beginning of doctrine. Principal doctrine.

Last edited:
M

maesha

Repentance is no more a meritorious work than its counterpart, faith. It is an inward response. Genuine repentance pleads with the Lord to forgive and deliver from the burden of sin and the fear of judgment and hell. It is the attitude of the publican who, fearful of even looking toward heaven, smote his breast and cried, "God, be merciful to me, the sinner!" (Luke 18:13).

Feb 9, 2010
A lot of people either do not understand repentance,or they think it is for the removal of past sins and do not try very hard to beat sins,but do sins and ask for forgiveness.

Because I have seen people say,the sinners prayer,or say they repented,but their lifestyle did not change all that much,except saying Jesus is the savior,but still kept on going to the bar,doing drugs,cheating on their spouses,which then they truly did not repent.

Which means there are millions of people who did not truly repent to begin with to be saved.

Repentance means being sorry for the sins you did,and vowing to never sin again after that.

If a person says they repented,and then go back to sinning,they did not repent,and if they have lived for God and gave up sin for a short time,and then live in sin,like cheating on their spouse they will not give up,and repent each time they cheat,they did not repent,for they are not truly sorry for cheating and not turning away from cheating,because they keep doing it.

Living in sin,but repenting of it every time you do it,but do not give it up,is not repenting of that sin.

Jun 24, 2010
A lot of people either do not understand repentance,or they think it is for the removal of past sins and do not try very hard to beat sins,but do sins and ask for forgiveness.

Because I have seen people say,the sinners prayer,or say they repented,but their lifestyle did not change all that much,except saying Jesus is the savior,but still kept on going to the bar,doing drugs,cheating on their spouses,which then they truly did not repent.

Which means there are millions of people who did not truly repent to begin with to be saved.

Repentance means being sorry for the sins you did,and vowing to never sin again after that.

If a person says they repented,and then go back to sinning,they did not repent,and if they have lived for God and gave up sin for a short time,and then live in sin,like cheating on their spouse they will not give up,and repent each time they cheat,they did not repent,for they are not truly sorry for cheating and not turning away from cheating,because they keep doing it.

Living in sin,but repenting of it every time you do it,but do not give it up,is not repenting of that sin.
Believers that are having a problem with weaknesses that leads to sin need to be in a local church under a steady teaching of the word and grace of God that has godly conviction. They need to be empowered and quickened by the word and fill and furnish in the rooms of their soul with doctrine. They need to be built up together with other believers as a habitation for God through the Spirit. They need to taste that the Lord is good and be constantly built up in the finished work of Christ. They need to learn how to function in the body of Christ as a corporate body believer and not live as an independent Christian with no supply from the body.

The body of Christ is not some mythical body but one of body, flesh and bones. How are we going to be able to even practice what the NT scriptures teach if we do not rub shoulders and elbows with other believers that gather themselves together on a regular basis and are involved in a joint participation with one another in the work of the ministry? When believers are being edified together in the body of Christ, sin has no room grow because death through the the cross is being worked into the life of the believer. When there is so much light, day in and day out, being communicated through the word, sin get exposed immediately and is confessed in the heart just as fast so that nobody even knows it happened. God is dealing with the root of sin and iniquity and it takes the cross, the word, the Spirit, a humble and contrite heart and a body of believers that love God.

I

IMINJC

TOMY4CHRIST

YOU SAID

And if you think you get saved, receive the holy spirit, then work at repenting from your vile sins,(1 Corin 6-9- then you are still defiled, double minded, and need to go back to your first work. Rev 2-5

I totally agree with your post. I too on another thread have tried to point out the importance of following the Apostles doctrine and the danger of living with unreported sin and the urgency of addressing the sin that remains habitual in the life of the believer. I think I understand what u are saying in the above statement but the way it is written seems to negate the progressive Christian walk from infancy to maturity. Very few people can actually stop completely sinning the day of conversion. There is so much they don't know yet. If They have heard good preaching, they have obviously recognized that there are things in their lives that they have to get rid of, but being infants they know nothing of crucifying the flesh daily, they know nothing of putting on the full armor of God, they don't even quite believe yet that they have been transformed into a New Creature and made righteous, because of the pull of the flesh to continue to live out the lifestyle of the Old Creature, they still think righteousness is something they must still obtain. So if you could please explain what you mean by the above statement I would very much appreciate it.