Does anyone ever feel... urges (best way I can describe it) to teach?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DABEARS85

I guess I could also call it an "itch" as well. I'm sure some of you understand what I'm about to say, but sometimes I DO have doubts about either my ability, my subject matter, or how I am received with what I say.

I've always had this weird thirst/itch/urge to LEARN about everything I could get my hands on about Christianity, God, His Word, and Christian spirituality. I have a good 100 some Christian books on every single subject you could think of, and I've read them all multiple times. I've read the Bible cover to cover multiple times as well, and have done in both with commentary, concordances, and without.

Anyway, this always happens in "seasons" as I like to call it. It isn't an on switch that's on all the time, but it is something I feel SOMETIMES, and I just cannot help it. I randomly (and I mean, completely random) get these urges to learn about some verse of scripture or a subject matter, and I just cannot stop myself from studying, studying, studying from learning everything I can about it. Usually, I feel that God is pushing me, and He wants to reveal something to me that I either did not know before, or something that others may not know themselves.

After I do all this homework (and I HATE homework and studying, so I know it has to be from the Lord!), I feel like I HAVE to write it down and post it somewhere, like on CC.com, or I have to teach SOMEONE about whatever I've learned. I have never been able to explain it, and many people in my life have found it weird and maybe unnatural. I really can't explain it, but I know it occurs quite a bit. Maybe I'm just receiving "seasons" of the Lord's presence. I just sometimes am not so sure about myself when it comes to that.

My overall big concern is that I never want to be a "wolf in sheep's clothing" as the Bible put it so well. I always worry about what I'm saying, if I'm misleading myself and others, and if this truly does come from the Lord. Usually, I do so much studying that I finally realize that it MUST have come from His urging, but I still can never truly explain it. It isn't like I've ever received a vision, seen a burning bush, heard a loud audible voice saying "DO THIS MY SON!" or anything of the nature. There is nothing about God speaking to me, but just an unnatural "push" in my mind that gives me this unnatural hunger to not only learn, but to teach whatever it is I've learned.

Can anyone relate to this? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that this happens to. I admittedly don't hang around church groups, extremely devout Christian friends, or anyone that really can relate to me in that area, even my own family, who are very devout themselves. I've always grown up in that atmosphere of Christianity, at least in my own family, but I don't know anyone else in my family who has this type of urge.

I guess my question really is: How do you know if you've been called to teach? I was in the military for quite a few years, and I was an electronics technician on a submarine in the US Navy. When I got out, I went to Purdue for a while for Electrical Engineering, as that was just a natural progression from the experience I already had. Despite knowing what I was doing, for whatever reason I had to change my major. Eventually, after quite a few 'changes', I became an English/Writing/Secondary Education major. I guess I'm going to be a teacher, although who knows with the way I change things up so much! I've always heard that if you don't know what you want to do in your life, you become a teacher. I just wonder if perhaps this is what the Lord wants me to do, or maybe it should be teaching a different subject than English/Writing? I don't know.

So... has anyone else have this type of experience in their lives, and can anyone else relate? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one I know who does this, and it bothers me I guess. I'm quite sure it isn't a bad thing, but I still am never completely sure about it. Sometimes I wish I would just get a post it note stuck to my head at night that says "DO THIS MY SON!" :)

If you can relate, please share your experiences, and perhaps... give any advice you may have! I just want to make sure I'm doing what I should be, rather than teaching something that "may" not be from the Lord. I'm very very very particular with that, because that would bother me more than anything else. I usually hold back with what I've learned unless I can almost completely confirm it through every source imaginable, the Bible the most important of course.

F

FireOnTheAltar

I know exactly how you feel bro. It's as if God has not only given you this intense desire to know Him but to also share everything you have learned with others.

When I first got saved unfortunately there wasn't anyone around willing to take me under their wing to mentor me. Fortunately, God opened the door and provided the necessary means for me to go to ministry school in order to learn the basics along with giving me the necessary knowledge and tools to engage in even deeper study. If you haven't don't so already, I recommend praying about attending ministry school. If it is His will, you can be rest assured that He will provide the means. Although, I would recommend finding one with a very good track record, for itself and it's graduates, of bearing good fruit for the Lord instead of one that pushes dead man made religious doctrine who rarely sees souls saved & lives forever transformed.

Anyways, since then I minister to young people every chance I get and I've already started laying down the ground work for a book, something I never really imagined would be possible not too long ago especially considering the conent that the Lord has given me to write about.

I have no doubt that as long as you follow continue to follow God and treasure Him above all else in this life, he will use you in miraculous ways and take you places you never even dreamed possible.

Take care & God bless!

F

FireOnTheAltar

If you haven't don't so already, I recommend praying about attending ministry school. If it is His will, you can be rest assured that He will provide the means.
That should read "If you haven't DONE so already, I recommend...". Me & my typos! lol

D

DABEARS85

That should read "If you haven't DONE so already, I recommend...". Me & my typos! lol
Thank you for the advice! I really do appreciate it. I'll look that up whenever I get the chance.

The part where you've said you are starting to write a book, well, that peaked my interest I guess. I've always felt that one day I would write a book, probably based on Christianity, as that seems to be the topic I study the most. I guess my big problem is the patience issue. I have no problems writing long, drawn-out theories or teachings about the Lord, but writing a novel or any other type of book seems to be a test in patience that I'm not sure I have.

Either way, it has always been a goal/dream of mine to be an author. I write enough in my spare time, even as most of it is merely for myself rather than for other eyes to see, so I always sort of figured I would naturally progress to that one day.

Let me know when you do finish your book. I'll gladly pick up a copy! :) A signed version would be nice too! lol

O

ONE_LORD

Everything you need to know is in the Bible. If one is truly filled with the Holy Ghost the Biblical way (ONLY WAY) they would not have to read several books over and over again. The Holy Ghost gives true understanding. Getting your beliefs from man will only confuse and cause you to be lost forever !
You do not get receive The Holy Spirit by saying a "sinners prayer" Our only guideline is in the Bible and they knew they had received the Gift because they spokke in tongues! Jesus ..The same yesterday, today, and forever! He did not change the way He gave out His Spirit. This man-made doctrine from satan himself would have one believe they are saved by this magic" sinners prayers". Nowhere in the Bible is a sinners prayer for salvation spoken of !!

D

dmdave17

Dear DABEARS85,

I believe that you are never wrong to want to share the Word of God with others. And I can also sympathize with your fears that you may be teaching the wrong message. I personally fall back on a verse from Psalm 19 often; "May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." (v. 14) I trust that if something I want to say is counter to God's will, He will somehow prevent me from saying it.

God bless you.

PS: How did someone so young become a "bears '85' fan? Could it be because that was their last Super Bowl title? (just kidding ;))

Last edited:
D

DABEARS85

PS: How did someone so young become a "bears '85' fan? Could it be because that was their last Super Bowl title? (just kidding ;))
lol! Well, perhaps that could be the reason :) I was also born in December of that year, so my baby pictures were full of me wearing a "bears" headband while in an incubator! To my dad at least, I was a gift that just added to the amazing season the bears had back then :)

Also, they were probably one of the best single season teams in NFL history, so I have to love that season, being a bears fan and all!

D

dmdave17

lol! Well, perhaps that could be the reason :) I was also born in December of that year, so my baby pictures were full of me wearing a "bears" headband while in an incubator! To my dad at least, I was a gift that just added to the amazing season the bears had back then :)

Also, they were probably one of the best single season teams in NFL history, so I have to love that season, being a bears fan and all!
Yes. Almost as good as the Steelers of the 70's. (Can you tell where I'm from? ;) ) It's hard to be humble when you have six Super Bowl titles. I was blessed to be at Three Rivers Stadium and witness the "immaculate reception" in person.

PS: I will not bore anyone else with any more talk on this subject.

Last edited:
D

DABEARS85

Yes. Almost as good as the Steelers of the 70's. (Can you tell where I'm from? ;) ) It's hard to be humble when you have six Super Bowl titles. I was blessed to be at Three Rivers Stadium and witness the "immaculate reception" in person.

PS: I will not bore anyone else with any more talk on this subject.
Hahaha! Well, I definitely never get bored about any sports talk, especially football! I have to say, that I'm HIGHLY disappointed in your Steelers LOSING THE SUPERBOWL to the absolutely most horrible and hated franchise in the history of football, Green Bay Packers! It was such a travesty! The QB of whom I shall not name, due to his terrible nature of wearing those horrible green and yellow colors, was tearing you guys up!

I am pretty sad that my bears didn't beat them as well, but... Cutler... ahh don't get me started! I can admit though, that that QB (of whom I shall not name) had a pretty terrible game vs us at least! He had zero thrown TDs and 2 INTs. If only the bears would have had the steelers offense, while we kept our defense, we would have won! :)

Since I'm a cubs fan as well, I know the term well: "there's always next year!" ha

P

Psalm2713

Hey.just so you know, I learned so much about following God these past few months, it wasn't hundreds of books( remember it is important to make sure it's the right books) so I will give you a summary of what I learned
-People including figures like Paul heard voices and saw visions only nt more than 5 avrge times per lifetime
-All through life god leads us through His peace, so the lack of it should be a no and it's presence should be a go sign

I would recommend the book "Being Led by the Spirit of God" by Kenneth E Hagin
You wouuld love it , it's amazing. I pray that God would lead you to an increase in your knowledge of Him Brother.

1still_waters

If you desire to teach, be ready to become a lightning rod.

N

NoahsMom

and a punchin bag..............

D

dmdave17

The way things are going in the USA, you could end up sharing a jail cell with a teamster. ;)

S

stoobee

I guess I could also call it an "itch" as well. I'm sure some of you understand what I'm about to say, but sometimes I DO have doubts about either my ability, my subject matter, or how I am received with what I say.

I've always had this weird thirst/itch/urge to LEARN about everything I could get my hands on about Christianity, God, His Word, and Christian spirituality. I have a good 100 some Christian books on every single subject you could think of, and I've read them all multiple times. I've read the Bible cover to cover multiple times as well, and have done in both with commentary, concordances, and without.

Anyway, this always happens in "seasons" as I like to call it. It isn't an on switch that's on all the time, but it is something I feel SOMETIMES, and I just cannot help it. I randomly (and I mean, completely random) get these urges to learn about some verse of scripture or a subject matter, and I just cannot stop myself from studying, studying, studying from learning everything I can about it. Usually, I feel that God is pushing me, and He wants to reveal something to me that I either did not know before, or something that others may not know themselves.

After I do all this homework (and I HATE homework and studying, so I know it has to be from the Lord!), I feel like I HAVE to write it down and post it somewhere, like on CC.com, or I have to teach SOMEONE about whatever I've learned. I have never been able to explain it, and many people in my life have found it weird and maybe unnatural. I really can't explain it, but I know it occurs quite a bit. Maybe I'm just receiving "seasons" of the Lord's presence. I just sometimes am not so sure about myself when it comes to that.

My overall big concern is that I never want to be a "wolf in sheep's clothing" as the Bible put it so well. I always worry about what I'm saying, if I'm misleading myself and others, and if this truly does come from the Lord. Usually, I do so much studying that I finally realize that it MUST have come from His urging, but I still can never truly explain it. It isn't like I've ever received a vision, seen a burning bush, heard a loud audible voice saying "DO THIS MY SON!" or anything of the nature. There is nothing about God speaking to me, but just an unnatural "push" in my mind that gives me this unnatural hunger to not only learn, but to teach whatever it is I've learned.

Can anyone relate to this? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that this happens to. I admittedly don't hang around church groups, extremely devout Christian friends, or anyone that really can relate to me in that area, even my own family, who are very devout themselves. I've always grown up in that atmosphere of Christianity, at least in my own family, but I don't know anyone else in my family who has this type of urge.

I guess my question really is: How do you know if you've been called to teach? I was in the military for quite a few years, and I was an electronics technician on a submarine in the US Navy. When I got out, I went to Purdue for a while for Electrical Engineering, as that was just a natural progression from the experience I already had. Despite knowing what I was doing, for whatever reason I had to change my major. Eventually, after quite a few 'changes', I became an English/Writing/Secondary Education major. I guess I'm going to be a teacher, although who knows with the way I change things up so much! I've always heard that if you don't know what you want to do in your life, you become a teacher. I just wonder if perhaps this is what the Lord wants me to do, or maybe it should be teaching a different subject than English/Writing? I don't know.

So... has anyone else have this type of experience in their lives, and can anyone else relate? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one I know who does this, and it bothers me I guess. I'm quite sure it isn't a bad thing, but I still am never completely sure about it. Sometimes I wish I would just get a post it note stuck to my head at night that says "DO THIS MY SON!" :)

If you can relate, please share your experiences, and perhaps... give any advice you may have! I just want to make sure I'm doing what I should be, rather than teaching something that "may" not be from the Lord. I'm very very very particular with that, because that would bother me more than anything else. I usually hold back with what I've learned unless I can almost completely confirm it through every source imaginable, the Bible the most important of course.
A very great physicist once suggested to me that to be great, you must become average. It is interesting to hear your story because I could not grasp how such a brilliant, Stanford physicist would not want his name to be plastered all over the world. He even declined the Nobel Prize for which i saw him nominated. His answer to me was that we must have some semblence of modesty. Does not Jesus also say that to be great, one must become a servant. What you are doing by asking your question was the same thing i was doing when I ask this physicist why I asked him the reason for my asking him questions. He looked at me straight in my eyes and said, "Because you need me as a backboard to confirm that what you believe is true." Aren't you doing the very same thing?

J

Jullianna

I completely disagree with people who say teachers are those who aren't capable of doing anything else. Teachers are amazing. So many impacted my life in ways I can't even begin to explain in a single post.

If you feel this is your gift, by all means, give it a shot! Your post reminds me of this:

Jeremiah 20:9 But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot."

Let it out, brother :)