Does anyone here roast their own coffee beans?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
If you do, I'm sure we would all like to hear your experiences and hints.

P

Powemm

No but you can bet I'll be keeping my eye on this thread lol

Oct 31, 2011
No but you can bet I'll be keeping my eye on this thread lol
Evidently no one here has done it. I do sometimes, I use a popcorn popper because the regular roasters are so expensive. There is a lot you can learn about choosing coffee, why and how. I enjoyed that as much as having more flavorful coffee. It is amazingly simple to do, but easy to ruin a batch.

U

ukkez

no, i like to go into a coffee shop that do it all for me, im like a kid in a sweet shop, no... coz as an adult im as excited to go into a sweet shop and coffee shop.
they do chocolate coverd coffee beans, there amazing, but to many, youl be buzzing around.
mmmm coffee.
with roasting the coffee beans i just assumed u could roast them, like in your oven, is this not the case??

TeaCup

Apr 19, 2013
Add a couple cinnamon sticks when you roast coffee beans for a natural taste.
Roast over dim flame.

Oct 14, 2012
I roast my coffee at home outside. I then let the beans sit for a day before brewing. It tastes better.

Oct 31, 2011
There ARE people who roast their own coffee beans! How exciting. But I am bewildered. Outside? So do I, it cuts down on the mess and smoke. I have special foil lined bags I keep the roasted coffee in until next day. I certainly am going to try putting a cinnamon stick in the roaster. But I am bewildered about roasting in the oven. Doesn't stirring cause a problem, or if you don't stir isn't the roast uneven? And what about the flying chaff and the smoke? I extend the sides of the popcorn popper with aluminum foil to contain the flying beans and chaff.

I'm pretty new to this, it is wonderful to hear of others doing it.

L

LindaT456

I don't roast or have fresh beans, BUT I used to use an Aeropress. Made perfect coffees.

CatHerder

Mar 20, 2013
I don't roast or have fresh beans, BUT I used to use an Aeropress. Made perfect coffees.
Is that like a french press? I use one of those. I kind of miss the filter system where I could set up the coffee the night before and have it waiting for me, as heating up the water on the stove is waaaaay too difficult for me to do in the morning, but when I do, the taste can't be beat.

CatHerder

Mar 20, 2013
oops! nevermind! I just looked it up. Aeropresses and french presses are two completely different animals!

Oct 31, 2011
I just roasted a batch of green beans in the popcorn popper. I used wire from a clothes hanger to fashion a stand for the popper because it was getting too hot when it stood on the counter. The stand keeps the popper elevated a bit so there is air under it. It is cold outside, so I sat the popper in my deepest kitchen sink so the flying chaff is caught. I opened the window over the sink so the odor and smoke could go out.

I made a sort of funnel out of aluminum foil so the sides of the popper is higher to catch some of the flying chaff and so the beans wouldn’t fly out. I put a clock with a second hand on the counter along with two sieves large enough to put the coffee beans in to cool. Also a flashlight.

Next I turned the popper on and let it run just a little while to heat. Then I poured in a little over ½ cup of coffee beans and noted the time. It took 3 minutes for the first sound of cracking to happen. Then I started watching the color of the beans with the flashlight, and was alert to the odor of the beans. I wanted these beans to be a little dark, but not with that sort of burnt look of a French roast. It took 6 minutes 30 seconds from the time I started for the color to be just right. At 6 ½ minutes, I emptied the beans in a sieve, and shifted them from one sieve to the other to cool quickly and stop the roast. I have read that some people put them in a dish from the freezer, but this seems easier.

I know I should wait until tomorrow to taste the coffee, but I couldn't wait. It is not only cheaper, but this coffee is WOW.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I didn't realize you could buy green coffee beans in small amounts... rather than giant sacks from Guatemala.

May 26, 2013
I used to do every morning. I have a machine for it with various features and settings. Depending which coffee I am going to make. Machine coffe, expresso, french coffee, cappucino, sombre, press coffee, etc. blah,blah...
The coffee taste more refreshing and the flavour really comes out. Atm I am too depressed to deal with it.

I

isaria

How wonderful.
Love coffee and the smell of fresh brewed coffee.
Heard one can do it in a normal oven swell but theres a procedure with several steps to follow.

I was living in a rustic schack once with coffee bushes and so many beans one could be self sufficient and more so with the beans from the bush.

I never picked beans un4tunately.
Was not feeling so well and low on energy.

I think cardamum would be beautiful roast coffee with, as you suggested cinnamon.

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
Being originally from South America (Brazil to be more specific) our family would pick and dry and roast their own coffee beans. I know they typically allow it to dry outside and leave it out in the sun. After a period of 2-4 days (I guess it depends) they roast it either on a pot with stirring as you suggested or in an old school brick oven. Either way whenever we visit we always bring back 10-20 lb bags of it in our luggage I love the smell of coffee from the homeland, its strong and earthy and rustic. A delicious strong cup of coffee