Does God support wars today?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

wordhelpsme

I once believed God did. If he supported the wars in pre-Christian times, why not now? I visited other countries and found believers of Christ there. If the US went to war we would kill them or they us. I carefully examining the scriptures I now believe quite the opposite. Because of the things Jesus has commanded and because of his example.

John 13:34, 35 – King James Version
A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Pre-Christianity – Ancient Israel had geographical borders given by God. These borders were surrounded by neighbors who were often hostile. God commanded his people to protect their land and gave them victories. Judges 11:32, 33

Christianity – Christians have no borders. They are worldwide. If Christ’s followers in one country were to join in warfare against another country, they would be fighting against fellow believers who they are commandment to love and die for. (Matthew 5:44; John 15:12, 13) Is it not important for Christians to obey God as ruler in this case?

Pre-Christianity – Ancient Israel had a human king whose throne was in Jerusalem

Christianity – Christians are ruled by Jesus Christ whose throne is in the heaven. Jesus said at John 18:36 “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.” Thus, no political government can claim to belong to Christ. Also see John 17:14-16; John 8:23; John 15:19

Pre-Christian – Ancient Israel, like other nations, often sent out messengers, or ambassadors.

Christianity – Christ has done the same, but with 2 key differences. First, all his followers serve as ambassadors. 2 Corinthians 5:20 says: “We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God we making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. (NIV) As peaceful ambassadors, they did not take up arms. Second, Jesus’ followers speak to all who will listen to their message. Jesus said: “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” See Matthew 28:19, 20 – “The Great Commission”.

Nov 26, 2011
For God and Country

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6NPJY2DgC0[/video]

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
The way I see it has much to do with the reason for the "war". If by war we mean killing or doing violence to each other, the answer is simple.

Luk 3:14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

When we do violence to each other, and kill the flesh of each other, we are making the judgement that certain are worth of violent treatment and being killed, and those giving that treatment and doing the killing are not worthy of such treatment. Some refer to killing someone for a crime committed as capital punishment (I hope I spelled that right).

Most wars (violence and killing) are based on the belief that others need to die or be hurt for various reasons. This is something God does not support us doing. God alone is worthy to make such judgements, and He decided to die for us instead of do violence to us and kill us. It's better just to let someone kill you (always be ready to die for another).

Oct 31, 2011
Old Testament "holy war" is a particular kind of warfare in a particular time in Israel's history where God fights for Israel to secure his land for his people, so that his redemptive plan might come to pass.

There are certain characteristics of God that are eternal and God has never authorized anything that is contrary to those characteristics. One of the characteristics of God is love, patience and long suffering. When God authorized war it was after hundreds of years of long suffering over a people determined to practice sin and the worship of other Gods.

As an example, God authorizes capital punishment for those who are so definitely proven to be killers that someone has seen them do it, but the purpose is not to kill the murderer but to protect others from this person who will kill. God says that if someone falsely accuses someone so it results in a wrongful death of that person, the accuser is a murdered.

God’s purpose for us is to live in what the bible calls milk and honey, and to live with Him forever. That was for everybody, for God often told the Hebrews to care for the foreigner among them. God ordered the annihilation of the Amorites, for they were an obstruction to all that was of God. The purpose was not for killing, but for preserving life.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Prov 21:1 The king's heart [is] in the hand of the Lord, [as] the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will.

also consider ''sweet Jesus"....
Rev 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him [was] called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

M

MaggieMye

God tells us in scripture that in the End Times there WILL BE wars and rumors of wars.
Wars are one of the enemy's tactics in taking out people before they can come to Christ. ALL wars are because of one of these reasons: greed, power, religion...mostly religion. Consider the wars of the Bible....those that did not follow God warred against the Israelites...they warred to gain power and land (greed).

So...yes, God Does support/condone war. But the real question is....are those involved in war consulting Him as to strategy, like the patriarchs of old did?

Some do and gain victory in battle. Some don't ....and so don't.
Maggie

T

Trax

I once believed God did. If he supported the wars in pre-Christian times, why not now?
Pre-Christian = Pre-Christ The Christ had not come yet, in those times. What would happen
if Israel had been destroyed or converted to paganism completely? The answer is: No Christ
No Messiah. No one to die on the cross to pay for your sins. You would still be a sinner, with no hope
on your way to hell. So, what was God doing with these wars and wiping out groups of people?
Bringing hope to mankind, that is Jesus. The devil has tried to stop it. The devil even tried to tempt
Jesus to sin. God kept things on track.

99caravan

There are times when wars are a necessity. For protection of families, neighbourhoods, cities, and nations. A reality of the dark side of Love. We love well, as Christians.

N

nathan3

War is needed some times. Take the Syrians , they kept attacking Israel in Biblical times. You can defend yourself , or be stepped on. It's the way people are sadly.