Does meditation, specifically Christian based meditation fit into Christ's way?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 10, 2024
I have been practicing meditation for sometime to keep myself grounded and steer away from negativity from within. It has always helped me collect myself.

Does anyone know of safe, faith based meditations? Is there such a thing? I see them on YouTube but fear what I'll be listening to could be false messages.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
"...but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." -Romans 12:2
"But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, He saved us, not by the righteous deeds we had done, but according to His mercy, through the washing of new birth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" -Titus 3:4-5

Whatever we listen to, He helps us keep what is helpful and cast down vain imaginations.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is venerable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if any excellence and if any praise--think on these things." Philippians 4:8

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Does anyone know of safe, faith based meditations?
Meditation is not a Christian practice as seen in the Bible. Meditating on a specific verse or passage is simply focusing on a portion of God's Word.

That is not the same as the meditation practiced by Hindus and Buddhists, or even Catholic mystics. There have been cases where such meditation has allowed demonic forces to work on that person. Mysticism is not Christian either. Also Hindus, Buddhists and Catholics all use some kinds of "rosary" beads for their meditation. and the Catholic Rosary is not from Scripture.

So be very careful about this. The Lord tells His people to pray always. That is not meditation but communication with Almighty God. So stick with praying.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hello again, Derek! I found this video for you. Hopefully you will find it helpful .:D

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Greek word fro Meditation

Strong's Concordance
meletaó:
Definition: to care for, practice, study
Usage: I devise, plan; practice, exercise myself in, study, ponder.

Interesting Read on Bible Meditation ---read all yourselves ---just posted this much

What are some biblical examples of meditation?
https://www.gotquestions.org/biblical-meditation.html

Meditation is the act of focusing one’s mental energies on a specific topic in an effort to achieve resolution or peace of mind.

Biblical meditation narrows that definition to a spiritual exercise focused on Scripture. In biblical meditation, a person deliberately quiets the heart and contemplates certain verses, asking, “What is this saying to me about my life and situation?” or “What is this saying about God?”

Biblical meditation can include prayer, Bible memory, and reading. Meditation was common in Bible times, and Joshua 1:8 commands it, promising reward for meditating on and obeying Scripture: “Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.”

The Psalms are filled with exhortations to meditate on all the qualities of God. Bible verses about meditation showcase the differences between it and yoga or other forms of non-biblical meditation.

Meditating correctly lifts our hearts up in communion with God. Our focus is on Him, not ourselves.

We are personalizing truths found in His Word, not seeking to find truth within ourselves.

Psalm 119:15–16 notes the object of our meditation: “I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.” Psalm 77:12 says, “I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.” This verse well summarizes godly meditation and should be the daily prayer of every Christian: “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer” (Psalm 19:14, NLT).

The first biblical example of meditation is found in Genesis 24:63, when Isaac went into the fields in the evening to meditate.

King David gives us another example of meditation. In 2 Samuel 7, Nathan the prophet relays the message that the Lord did not want David to build a house for Him. Instead, God would raise up David’s son (Solomon) who would have that honor. In response to this news, “David went in and sat before the Lord” (verse 18).
The rest of the chapter records David’s prayer to God as part of his meditation.

Psalm 1:1–2 promotes meditation: “Blessed is the one . . . whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.” To be blessed is to be spiritually prosperous and favored by God.

That happens when meditation becomes habitual, part of one’s lifestyle.
A person who is filled with the Spirit (Galatians 5:16, 25) lives in a state of ongoing meditation, even while going about a daily routine.

Bruce_Leiter

Feb 17, 2023
I have been practicing meditation for sometime to keep myself grounded and steer away from negativity from within. It has always helped me collect myself.

Does anyone know of safe, faith based meditations? Is there such a thing? I see them on YouTube but fear what I'll be listening to could be false messages.
All I know is what God says through the Apostle Paul, "Pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17). I don't think that a person can meditate the way you're talking about AND pray all the time, the way God's Word says. I prefer to have content in my prayers (praise, thanks, confession, prayers for others, lamenting, and prayers for myself--all to honor God and follow the Bible).

Bruce_Leiter

Feb 17, 2023
Greek word fro Meditation

Strong's Concordance
meletaó:
Definition: to care for, practice, study
Usage: I devise, plan; practice, exercise myself in, study, ponder.

Interesting Read on Bible Meditation ---read all yourselves ---just posted this much

What are some biblical examples of meditation?
https://www.gotquestions.org/biblical-meditation.html

Meditation is the act of focusing one’s mental energies on a specific topic in an effort to achieve resolution or peace of mind.

Biblical meditation narrows that definition to a spiritual exercise focused on Scripture. In biblical meditation, a person deliberately quiets the heart and contemplates certain verses, asking, “What is this saying to me about my life and situation?” or “What is this saying about God?”

Biblical meditation can include prayer, Bible memory, and reading. Meditation was common in Bible times, and Joshua 1:8 commands it, promising reward for meditating on and obeying Scripture: “Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.”

The Psalms are filled with exhortations to meditate on all the qualities of God. Bible verses about meditation showcase the differences between it and yoga or other forms of non-biblical meditation.

Meditating correctly lifts our hearts up in communion with God. Our focus is on Him, not ourselves.

We are personalizing truths found in His Word, not seeking to find truth within ourselves.

Psalm 119:15–16 notes the object of our meditation: “I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.” Psalm 77:12 says, “I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.” This verse well summarizes godly meditation and should be the daily prayer of every Christian: “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer” (Psalm 19:14, NLT).

The first biblical example of meditation is found in Genesis 24:63, when Isaac went into the fields in the evening to meditate.

King David gives us another example of meditation. In 2 Samuel 7, Nathan the prophet relays the message that the Lord did not want David to build a house for Him. Instead, God would raise up David’s son (Solomon) who would have that honor. In response to this news, “David went in and sat before the Lord” (verse 18).
The rest of the chapter records David’s prayer to God as part of his meditation.

Psalm 1:1–2 promotes meditation: “Blessed is the one . . . whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.” To be blessed is to be spiritually prosperous and favored by God.

That happens when meditation becomes habitual, part of one’s lifestyle.
A person who is filled with the Spirit (Galatians 5:16, 25) lives in a state of ongoing meditation, even while going about a daily routine.
However, I think that the kind of meditation our friend is describing has no content like the Buddhist or Hindu kind..

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
However, I think that the kind of meditation our friend is describing has no content like the Buddhist or Hindu kind..
What's this then: "I have been practicing meditation for sometime to keep myself grounded and steer away from negativity from within. It has always helped me collect myself."

This is exactly what a Hindu would say. "Keep myself grounded", "steer away from negativity from within", "collect myself". This is not how Christians deal with negativity.

"Repetition of the mantra helps you disconnect from the thoughts filling your mind so that perhaps you may slip into the gap between thoughts ..."
https://www.thewayofmeditation.com.au/hindu-meditation

While he may not be using mantras, he wants to disconnect from the negative thoughts filling his mind. And pretty soon the idea of a mantra might appeal to him. Hindu yogis were the ones doing this kind of meditation and "collecting themselves", but now they are coming to the West to influence Westerners who know little or nothing about Hinduism. Yoga has now become commonplace in North America. All Eastern religions are into meditation, and all worship false gods (demons as Paul says). Meditation opens the door to demonic forces.

Focusing on the Word of God and focusing on God and Christ is totally different. It is always associated with prayer and praise.

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
Beware the difference between focusing in on something real - prayer, God, a verse, the spirit, your spirit, a daydream, etc.; and things like emptying yourself or otherwise tamping down your soul (as with meaningless repetitions). The former are utilizing and engaging the you God has made. The later are silencing the amazing miracle God has created of you. This later is both a type of mini suicide, and makes you vulnerable to possession by fallen spirits. It's like leaving your house abandoned and unlocked so squatters are more likely to find their way in and take over.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018

Let's define this idea of negativity within in biblical terms. Sin. Negativity is not a sin. But the negativity within would best be described as sin. And as the bible states, you can't will yourself away from sin or block it out to not effect you.
Among those that practice meditation in the traditional sense, negativity has a different meaning. And is something that can be meditated away. Or by using crystals or incense to cleanse a place or room of negativity.
These ideas don't match the bible.

Also meditation has its spiritual roots in Eastern philosophies and religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism. These teachings also claim things like karma, reincarnation, the universe is God (a non-personal entity), works are important, that we are God, subjective morality, etc...

Meditation in it's most basic form is turning off your brain. It empties you, but nothing fills you (at least hopefully not). Perhaps try replacing this with focusing on God and/or the bible. Instead of emptying yourself, fill yourself with God's word and put your focus somewhere that works to your mental And spiritual benefit.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Meditation in it's most basic form is turning off your brain. It empties you, but nothing fills you (at least hopefully not).
Meditation in the Eastern sense opens the door to demonic possession and/or influence. Chanting mantras is a part of this meditation and those mantras open the door. "One of the most effective tools for connecting with a demonic entity are corresponding sound frequencies, also known as enns. Whether you’re trying to evoke a demon or simply invoke its energy in the moment, using a demon’s enn as a chant or a mantra can be powerful." I will not post the website for this for obvious reasons.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia

Hello LostMan in FL.

It takes a humble man to ask these questions of strangers in a Christian forum. God wants you to have the answer and you will doubtless get it if you ask the Lord right now for understanding and illumination. He will shed light on this subject for your benefit. Just stop what you are doing for a minute and call out loud to God Almighty. Let Him know that you are asking Him for answers to this and willing to receive His truth in The Savior's Name, Jesus Christ..

This issue has come up hundreds of times throughout my life. You already were given scriptures on this, so I'll try not to repeat those, but be brief as possible. I will answer your questions the best I can.

My background in meditation....
Early as a boy, I was trained in America's most popular form of meditation and since then learned that the other forms of eastern meditation are similar in their fundamentals. My teachers were disciples of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi who brought TM, Transcendental Meditation, to America. It was sold to the youth, young adults and Medical industry as a scientific group of techniques for self help and various benefits. The Indian yogi struck out his first trip to America. He returned to India for guidance on how to convince the Christian influenced westerners. The hippie culture wasnstarted by the C🪬A and was gaining popularity through their promotion of pop culture influencers, psychedelic drugs, promiscuity and rejection of Christian norms and institutions. Even then, full blown Hinduism like TM meditation was too much too soon for the gullible young.

Then upon going back to India, his master heard from a demon who gave him the answer. He was told that westerners are enamored by "science" and resist Hinduism. He returned to America to make lots of money from the foolish young C👁️A led counter culture. Instead of teaching it as a religion, he trained his disciples to teach the same but use scientific terminology and illustrations instead. The AMA and modern medi-sin has swallowed the lies hook line and sinker. For a century they have always promoted sorcery mixed with science falsely so called and relabeled it "healthcare." Like Maharishi Mahesh, the devils directed them in very lucrative methods of deception to make money and power.
There were celebrities like the Beatles of England who became devotees of the Yogi and promoted his form of Hinduism.

I was also trained in Taoism in my teens. We practiced occultic Taoist meditation too.

I corrected a number naturalpaths NDs, and integrative physicians on this issue. It has cost me in some cases because meditation, yoga, etc are powerful religious traditions they hold dear, in spite of their self deception that makes them think these are harmless ways to relax and lower BP.
The health and nutritional information was sound, but I reject the practices of meditation and new age/ Hindu spiritual rituals like Reiki, etc.
The Natural paths and my fellow nutritionists really should know the truth instead of seeking knowledge from heathen doctors of heathen practices.

Jeremiah 10:1-2
1Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: 2Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen

That applies to us today.
The word of the Lord speaks to me through preaching/ teaching that I listen to regularly from a Biblical Holy Spirit empowered servant of His.
I think about what was taught and take it to heart and application. This is a way of meditating upon His word. Likewise, the Word of the Lord speaks to me in the morning and night as I have my personal reading devotions straight from my ancient Holy Scriptures inspired and preserved from God in my KJV Bible. This is worthy of much reflection and thought, connected with the One Who gave it.
This is meditating in His Word day and night . Psalm 1

Yet God is Holy and a separate Person. He is not the universe. He is the master and creator of the universe, of all energy and all matter. Note that Almighty God is also personal and wants us to get to know Him personally through seeking to know Him as described exclusively in His written Word.

ALL other religions and practices are contrary to God's Word. They are of Christ rejectors and demons.
The popular practice of Meditation, whether TM or another, has the following in common.

A. Rather than fill the mind with the truth of God's Word, they empty the mind and get into an altered state of suggestion.

B. There is a Sanskrit name repeated over and over again. It is called a Mantra. There's a reason that it comes from Sanskrit. There's also a reason that the Bible forbids using this practice of vain repetition as the heathens do.

C. The Mantras are the Names of Hindu false gods and demons.

D. What you are doing when you meditate, is to get into a suggestible altered state of consciousness. Then you are calling for, actually summoning a demon . It is a method of receiving influence from and sometimes even possession of a demon. Rather than continuing in a core religious practice of Hinduism, this is what I would do. Unlike TM where you take a course of a dozen+/- classes before you are initiated to a strange statue with incense burning in their evil shrine. That's how that meditation is finally revealed after the money is given and brain washing has deceived the initiate. It is simple and easy to do the following.
Since you are a truth seeker by your admission of wanting to know, I believe that you have something far better to look forward to than anything offered by Hinduism.

I am providing a short video that explains the need of salvation and the gift that God provides free of charge. It is absolute truth and Jesus Christ is the Truth. He is personally God as is His Father and the Holy Spirit.
There's a prayer at the end that confirms your gift.
Contact me here friend if you have any questions.

The Free Gift
To your happiness.
🍵🙂👍📖

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I watched a movie called "War Room". I won't go into details, but I suggest that you watch it. There is much more power in a War Room, than you will ever realize in any type of meditation.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
There are anti-anxiety, breathing, and mindfulness exercises that are not religious. But, these alone are incomplete without prayer.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Depends on what is meant by meditation. For the Christian, it means to consider deeply and without distraction God's word and God Himself.

Worldly meditation can open people up to the occult by blanking the mind and becoming passive. This is dangerous and must be avoided. It's also unbiblical. For example, Philippians 4:8 tells us how we should be meditating. It's not passive, the mind is engaged in a positive way.

Apr 21, 2021

I used to practice various new age meditation techniques but I found them fairly worthless at overcoming the flesh. It can take you so far but no further. Prayer and humility before God is what has helped me. The only kind of meditation I practice these days is meditation on His word.