Does Satan put thoughts into our minds?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
I've heard this over the years, but I want to know the basis for this belief: Where is it in Scripture? Because I can't find a single reference to Satan putting thoughts inside of someone's head. Yes, Satan influences the world, but we are sinful people, and often times I think unclean thoughts are a product of our flesh.

Feb 16, 2011
I believe that is a myth. No verses say that Satan can put thoughts in your head. You would have to be possessed or Satan would have to be talking to you but that's not the same thing as putting thoughts in your head.

J

jimmydiggs

Matthew 16

The Demand for a Sign

1 The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.

2 He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’ 3 and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.[a] 4 A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away. The Yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees

5 When they went across the lake, the disciples forgot to take bread. 6 “Be careful,” Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”

7 They discussed this among themselves and said, “It is because we didn’t bring any bread.”
8 Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, “You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? 9 Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 10 Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 11 How is it you don’t understand that I was not talking to you about bread? But be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that he was not telling them to guard against the yeast used in bread, but against the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees. Peter Declares That Jesus Is the Messiah

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”

14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter,[b] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[c] will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[e] loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah. Jesus Predicts His Death

21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”
23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[f] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done. 28 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Something is revealed, and then Peter says "no don't go!" Jesus: "Get behind me satan!"

Looks like our thoughts come from three places. Us, God, Satan/demonic

B

Bloodwashed

You might read Ephesians 6. Start at verse 10. verse 12 says we wrestle against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness. I've heard it said that satan is a thought caster. He is the accuser. Where else do these things go on if not in the mind. Perhaps that is what is refered to in verse 16, the fiery darts of the wicked one. That being said, I do agree, Satan does get blamed for alot that is just flesh! God Bless you!--Mark--

cronjecj

Banned [Reason: ongoing "extreme error/heresy" Den
Sep 25, 2011
1 Peter 5:8 (KJV)
Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.

Satan uses the ungodly to try and destroy the godly that is why those with weak faith will fall away after their first struggle in their mind because some of the Satan's instruments (ungodly people) scorched them and made fun of their faith...............................just an example.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ephesians 6:12 (KJV)
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Satan tries to break down your truth, your faith and your salvation by using his children (the ungodly and wicked people)

It's like a continual struggle in your mind, truth vs lies and that is why it's very important to know the word of God (Sword of the Spirit) and to stand for righteousness (breastplate)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now we put on the armor of God as stated in Ephesians,

Ephesians 6:16-17 (KJV)
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

The fiery darts in Ephesians 6:16 is not the fiery darts from the devil but from wicked people, the devil use people (the ungodly) as instruments to try and break you down spiritually.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
Absolutely, he does put thoughts into our minds. I have heard him on many occations. He usually tries to act as a angel of light to project some thought which incites us either to vanity, pride, greed or lust, or any of the 7 deadly sins. He is called the "Evil Painter" by the ancient Christians because he also paints pictures on our imagination; for instance, if you watch evil movies (like immoral movies), the devil / demons will paint delusive and seductive images in your mind when you are trying to fall asleep, i have experienced this for myself. These images will just appear out of nowhere when i am in my bed at night, he is indeed an "Evil Painter".

The earliest Christians told us in their writings that we must STOP using our imagination and stop giving in to all thoughts that we have, because many a time they will be wolves in sheep's clothing. If we are led by the Spirit of God we will not use our thoughts or our imagination but our inner spirits and hearts.

cronjecj

Sep 25, 2011
Satan cannot read your thoughts, God is the only one who can.

However to further the answer to your question is that i believe that Satan puts thoughts in people's minds and if you resist (ignore) him he will flee from you.

James 4:7 (KJV)
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Although i need more clarification on the thoughts part because it does not seem to have solid scripture to backup this statement.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
Satan cannot read your thoughts, God is the only one who can.

However to further the answer to your question is that i believe that Satan do whisper in people's ears and if you resist (ignore) him he will flee from you.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Although i need more clarification on the whisper part because it does not seem to have solid scripture to backup this statement.
The demons / satan can only read thoughts by giving us bait and then seeing how we react to it. For instance, the demons /satan will project an evil thought into us but then will be able to see our inner rejection / acceptance of the thought based on our outer reaction to it. That is how they can "read our thoughts", they can't know what we are thinking but only guess what we think based on our outer reactions to his suggestions.

cronjecj

Sep 25, 2011

Or it could be that resist evil people and the devil will stop irritating you because he is in the people, the unbelievers.....he uses them as instruments.

So resist the wicked people and never let them get you down.

A

AnandaHya

Just as the WORD of God is a Seed that is planted in your heart and mind and can grow and bear fruit, so is the words of demons that speak and whisper to your mind. It is your choice to believe and accept what others say, but it is always wiser to pray and ask God for His truth and His wisdom.

Jesus tells us to cast out body parts that tempt us to sin and cast down thoughts and strongholds that war against the knowledge of God.

You can read the parables about the sower of the seed and the Enemy who plants tares. In one parable the Seed is the Word of God and there are four types of people who are given the WORD and Jesus tells us the four type of responses.

1. Satan steals the seed, they do not repent or turn to Jesus at all.

2. they start and seem to follow Jesus but have not roots because their hearts have been harden with pride, anger, unforgiveness, lack of knowledge and perservance. so that when trouble and trials come they deny Jesus and submit to the pressures of the world.

3. People who allow God's word to grow but it gets choked out because they have other desires that war against what God wants them to be and do and they make compromises and chase after power, fame, money, worldly things and allow the temptations of this world to make them unfruitful, having faith that lacks good works like James talks about. they have a dead faith.

4. the fourth kind is the one who has a humble and contrite heart. that seeks daily their bread from the WORD of God and allows His living waters to flow from their heart and nourish them and all around them and displays the fruits of the Spirit which are Love, Joy, peace, long suffering, Faith, kindness, and self control. Diligently they seek the kingdom of God and share with all the Gospel of Christ.

Satan will try anything to destroy and plant seeds of doubt, hate, anger, lies, deception, uses various temptation to get people to be one of the first three.

He will first try and steal it before it can take root or corrupt the Word of God so that it no longer is the Gospel of Christ but a gospel of lictenousness or legalistic works salvation instead of Faith in Jesus Christ.

Next if that doesn't work Satan or his demons will try and make people prideful and have them look down on others and harden their hearts through ignorance or conceit so they do not feel for other the compassion God gave them. so they do not forgive or have mercy for others. then the seed never takes firm root because the heart is not humble or contrite and when troubles come they curse God's name and blame him and spiritually die.

If the Seed has taken firm root and grow, Satan will try to keep the person unfruitful by tempting them to sin and break God's commandments so that their testimony will not be believed because they are hyprocrites and their faith is DEAD for it has no good works but just selfish ambition.

Satan can't touch the fourth kind of person for they have matured in Christ and are no longer tossed by the winds of false doctrine. we should pray we are all mature in Christ able to discern good from evil and in the MEAT of scripture not just rotting our teeth on milk when we should be adults and mature and displaying the fruits of the Spirit and not of the Flesh.

ok i'm done with my rant. thanks for listening. have a blessed day.

cronjecj

Sep 25, 2011
The demons / satan can only read thoughts by giving us bait and then seeing how we react to it. For instance, the demons /satan will project an evil thought into us but then will be able to see our inner rejection / acceptance of the thought based on our outer reaction to it. That is how they can "read our thoughts", they can't know what we are thinking but only guess what we think based on our outer reactions to his suggestions.
i changed it to thoughts where it says whispers but you got a point of projecting evil thoughts and to wait and see our reaction to it..........and if we don't react to the negative thoughts by ignoring and resisting, the devil will give up his effort and flee..........makes sense.

Aug 18, 2011
i changed it to thoughts where it says whispers but you got a point of projecting evil thoughts and to wait and see our reaction to it..........and if we don't react to the negative thoughts by ignoring and resisting, the devil will give up his effort and flee..........makes sense.
I learned this from John Cassian, a Roman monk of the 4th century. This is what he said:

Chapter 16

An illustration showing how we are taught that unclean spirits know the thoughts of men.

"For just as some thieves are in the habit of examining the concealed treasures of the men in those houses which they mean to rob, and in the dark shades of night sprinkle with careful hands little grains of sand and discover the hidden treasures which they cannot see by the tinkling sound with which they answer to the fall of the sand, and so arrive at certain knowledge of each thing and metal, which betrays itself in a way by the voice elicited from it; so these too, in order to explore the treasures of our heart, scatter over us the sand of certain evil suggestions, and when they see some bodily affection arise corresponding to their character, they recognize as if by a sort of tinkling sound proceeding from the inmost recesses, what it is that is stored up in the secret chamber of the inner man."

B

Bloodwashed

I agree. Lets face it, satan knows you. He knows your passed, & what sin you have been involved in. So he casts a thought, or whisper at you. Next thing he hears is you praising God, that you are not like that anymore. He is gone, but he will return. God Bless Mark!

A

AnandaHya

I learned this from John Cassian, a Roman monk of the 4th century. This is what he said:

Chapter 16

An illustration showing how we are taught that unclean spirits know the thoughts of men.

"For just as some thieves are in the habit of examining the concealed treasures of the men in those houses which they mean to rob, and in the dark shades of night sprinkle with careful hands little grains of sand and discover the hidden treasures which they cannot see by the tinkling sound with which they answer to the fall of the sand, and so arrive at certain knowledge of each thing and metal, which betrays itself in a way by the voice elicited from it; so these too, in order to explore the treasures of our heart, scatter over us the sand of certain evil suggestions, and when they see some bodily affection arise corresponding to their character, they recognize as if by a sort of tinkling sound proceeding from the inmost recesses, what it is that is stored up in the secret chamber of the inner man."
I refer to it as shooting fiery darts to see if you bleed. Demons shoot lies to see if you allow them to fester and grow into tares and block your view of God's truth by making you react in a manner not pleasing to God: geting mean and violent or fearful and untrusting by believing the lies. they try and weaken your shielf of faith so that you won't remember to pray and ask God for His help.

J

Jordache

I definately understand your question and it's refreshing to hear of someone who can blame flesh also.
Satan is very smart. He's been around for a long time. He knows what generally scares people. He hears your words and see's your reactions. He whispers thoughts into our minds just like anyone else may, but because he knows human nautre so well, they are hard to ignore.

B

Brandon777

I've heard this over the years, but I want to know the basis for this belief: Where is it in Scripture? Because I can't find a single reference to Satan putting thoughts inside of someone's head. Yes, Satan influences the world, but we are sinful people, and often times I think unclean thoughts are a product of our flesh.
Satan... not likely. Much more likely a demon. But yes. Are there Scriptures that talk specifically about thought implantation? I don't think so, it's more of a passed down belief. But I can say that demons can and do read and implant thoughts by experience because I know an ex warlock that became a Christian and had a rough time breaking that demon given ability. There's also something he called remote viewing, but I don't need to get into that. And yes there are unclean thoughts that are a result of your own brain working under the corruption of the curse of the Fall of Man.

L

Laodicea

1 John 4:4
(4) Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
Proverbs 16:3
(3) Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

A

Abiding

we are to guard our heart(mind)
we are to take captive every thought

doesnt matter where it comes from does it.
you cant prove where it comes from
and it doesnt make any difference.

cronjecj

Sep 25, 2011
Don't get me wrong here but is it like this, soul = mind = heart?

Proverbs 4:23
Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

So it is because of the issues of the heart that people become evil?

Where does Satan plays his role in this?

Revelation 12:9-11 (KJV)
And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

So here we see Satan is the great deceiver of the world but people are the ones that does the evil and how is it that he deceives the nations? By imputing thoughts of lies.

Satan is the accuser, Jesus the defender and God our Father which is the judge.

Seeing the defender and judge as one and the same.

1 John 2:1 (KJV)
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

Peace out.