Does The Body of Christ Have Tourette’s?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Hungry

Banned
Nov 26, 2012
3,095
1,050
113
I think the largest issue the Church has in functionality is discerning our gifts and being given opportunity to utilize them. The analogy of Christ’s followers being a Body has definitely not been understood. I asked the Lord if I was supposed to be evangelizing more. I’ve been to a few rallies or conferences and according to their philosophy we all should be wearing t shirts with scripture on them, and spreading the Gospel continually. I have tried that and more often it isn’t well received. I never felt that God was telling me to do this. It’s just what I was told is right. The Lord told me that just because I was ready with the seed doesn’t mean the soil is ready.

It got me wondering if we were accurate in our understanding of the Body. Sometimes I see people speaking in churches who I’m not certain should be speaking. It makes me picture a dude with Tourette’s syndrome, randomly blurting out words and sounds, and the body doing involuntary repeated actions.

Are most of us just mouths and body parts disengaged from the prompting of the brain and acting on our own? When I see the Church, even those of us here, I don’t see a healthy Body, functioning as One serving the Head, acting upon the neurological impulses of the Spirit. I can’t wait to hear the responses. I’m sure there is a collection of posters who think I am such a mouth spewing random words.
 
I think the largest issue the Church has in functionality is discerning our gifts and being given opportunity to utilize them. The analogy of Christ’s followers being a Body has definitely not been understood. I asked the Lord if I was supposed to be evangelizing more. I’ve been to a few rallies or conferences and according to their philosophy we all should be wearing t shirts with scripture on them, and spreading the Gospel continually. I have tried that and more often it isn’t well received. I never felt that God was telling me to do this. It’s just what I was told is right. The Lord told me that just because I was ready with the seed doesn’t mean the soil is ready.

It got me wondering if we were accurate in our understanding of the Body. Sometimes I see people speaking in churches who I’m not certain should be speaking. It makes me picture a dude with Tourette’s syndrome, randomly blurting out words and sounds, and the body doing involuntary repeated actions.

Are most of us just mouths and body parts disengaged from the prompting of the brain and acting on our own? When I see the Church, even those of us here, I don’t see a healthy Body, functioning as One serving the Head, acting upon the neurological impulses of the Spirit. I can’t wait to hear the responses. I’m sure there is a collection of posters who think I am such a mouth spewing random words.

Do you mean are people in the body of Christ acting on their own and not being led of the Spirit? I believe that whenever we sin that we are not being led of the Spirit in that moment because the Holy Spirit does not want us to sin. There are other times that we may be led of the Spirit. Following Jesus, walking in love, denying oneself is all part of being led of the Holy Spirit. Tourette’s itself is a medical condition. I don’t think the body of Christ would be considered to have that or any other medical condition. For when Jesus returns, the church, His body, will be like him. His people , his children will have a resurrected new body.

I myself have been having involuntary movements lately. Some people have suggested Tourette’s but I am not sure what it is. I hope to get better with what it is soon. In heaven I won’t have to deal with any problems. I won’t have to work through fears or doubts. In heaven it will be completely well with me and all God’s children.