Don't Take the Bait

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Don't Take the Bait

'...we are not ignorant of [Satan's] devices.' 2 Corinthians 2:11

Satan, whom the Bible refers to as 'the tempter', works like a seasoned fisherman in two ways. First, he knows that fish get hungry, and he knows when they'll be biting. Understand this: you were born with a hole in your soul that only God can fill, and unless you turn to God and build a relationship with Him, you'll keep trying to fill that hole with the wrong things. 'Where can I find the right things?' you ask. The Psalmist answers, '...In Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore' (Psalm 16:11 NKJV).

There's a marked difference in how Joseph responded to temptation with Potiphar's wife and how David responded to it with Bathsheba. David looked, and kept looking, but Joseph fled. As a result, David reaped terrible heartache and Joseph reaped great blessing. The Bible says, '...if sinners entice you, do not consent' (Proverbs1:10 NKJV).

Be honest with yourself. Acknowledge that there are places you shouldn't go, habits you shouldn't indulge, and company you should never be in. Second, he knows what bait will hook the fish. Next time somebody fails and you're tempted to think, 'I'd never do that', stop and ask yourself, 'What would it take to make me bite?' You may not know the answer to that question at the moment, but satan does. And he is patient; he'll wait a lifetime if he has to, he's in no hurry. He doesn't mind whether you fall through 'youthful lusts', or on the last few laps through more subtle sins, so long as you lose the race. So, 'don't take the bait'.

Another wee devotional from 'the word for today'.

Blessings

Phil

May 21, 2009
Its important to remember Satan will use people around you to try and make you fall.

Feb 9, 2010
Some of the time the things that we enjoyed while in the world we will have a hard time with when we come to God unless we allow the Spirit to lead us.

Satan knows what we enjoyed while in the world and will try to tempt us with those things,but ask the Spirit to help you to overcome all fleshy pleasures.

The Bible says that if you come to God and receive deliverance and overcome the flesh but go back to the flesh you will be more entangled in the world then before you came to God.

Matt

A

AgeofKnowledge

Well stated Phil.

Y

yahweh_is4me

Amen Phil , I seen this statement today , we all get tempted but its our choice to sin ! The Lord gives us a way out .. !! so its up to us to live in victory or not !

Jan 1, 2010
Great Post !

Thanks for sharing Phil :D

God Bless :)