Down in the Dumps

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

Have you ever been dumped? How? How did you feel? What did you say?

Have you ever dumped anyone? Why? How did you do it? What did you say?

What is the proper way to end a relationship?

C

Crystalgar

I was just dumped a few days ago.....It made me feel awful it came out of a sudden, we dated for a month and we got really close, 2 weeks after we started dateing we started talking about marrage, we both wanted to marry each other. His X came back and gave him some news and he went back to her. :(, i feel really hurt, but i told him i understand and he has to think about what happend with her... i am not mad at him, he told me the second he found out. I still love him, but I know i can never be with him now. It was proper to end our relationship, becuase of what happend...at least he didn't hide it form me. :(

N

Nalu

Yes I have Jullianna.

I was married for 23 years (Aug 1986 till May 2009) and was divorced. My wife remarried.

I am currently in a state of numb. I have zero desire to establish another serious relationship outside of just being friends with people. Realistically, I feel that I may choose to remain single for the rest of my life.

I can say that this experience has drawn me closer to God. The Grace of God gives me a calm and peace.

J

Jullianna

I'm reeeeeeeeeeeally horrible about not knowing how to end relationships. I sometimes let them go on longer than they should because I don't want to hurt someone's feelings. Now I find myself not even wanting to BEGIN relationships because I'm afraid they won't work out and an amazing person will no longer be in my life, even as a friend.

How do y'all deal with this?

D

djness

I'm reeeeeeeeeeeally horrible about not knowing how to end relationships. I sometimes let them go on longer than they should because I don't want to hurt someone's feelings. Now I find myself not even wanting to BEGIN relationships because I'm afraid they won't work out and an amazing person will no longer be in my life, even as a friend.

How do y'all deal with this?
I got let down pretty easy by a girl once. She said "You are annoying, don't call me anymore."
Pretty easy to understand.

1still_waters

I'd think if the guy was payin half attention he could probably figure it out without it coming down to some crazy event.

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
When I get dumped I go into fix it mode. I want to fix the problem, even though sometimes the problem is US.

When I I dump someone I usually just let them go and then don't talk to them for a while.

I've never dumped someone for someone else and unless I was cheated on, we usually can be friends afterwards.

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010

Now this is a personal thread. Well done, Jullianna.

For a bit of back story, I've been dumped around 11 times, and have only broken up with a girl once.

Having to be the one breaking the relationship gives you more appreciation for its difficulty, and more regret too.

Anyway, now I shall answer your remaining questions. ^_^

Each one made me feel horrible. Hurt, doubting, depressed, apathetic, somewhat angry, ext. I said many things, but nothing particularly regrettable. Sometimes you ask why, what you did, didn't do, or for them to reconsider. This normally makes it all the more painful. Sometimes you just say 'okay', stay somewhat composed, and then go die a little inside once you're alone and weeping. Sometimes you feel angry or betrayed. Sometimes you just don't say anything.

As I said, I have once broken up a relationship.

Why? ...as hard as it may be to understand, I believe it's because God told me to. I told her that, and many other things, but it was by far the hardest most painful thing I have ever had to do.

To be honest, I don't think there is a 'right' way to dump someone, or right things to say.

There are, however, wrong ways and sayings when ending a relationship.

For example, my worst breakup was when a past girlfriend met me outside her house to let me know we were breaking up because she (and I quote) "Found someone who looked better." I also got to find out later she was seeing this guy while we were dating. *sigh*

Anyway, these are difficult and deeply personal connections in people's lives. It's complicated.

Last edited:
L

lidibo

I personally have never been dumped, however I have dumped 2 people. I decided to end my marriage due to the fact he was a cheater (including my sisters). I finally had enough and said I didn't want to be with him anymore. He just kept doing it and wasn't going to change.
I just broke up with my boyfriend. He was emotionally and physically abusive. I told him I couldn't deal with him. He's still trying to say he's changed and he sees now what a good person I am...
Those are my only 2 relationships in my life. Being a part of both has driven me to seek the Lord. If I didn't have him, I don't even want to think about how I could have turned out.
There is no easy way to break up with someone, but doing it respectfully and honestly is the best way, in my own opinion.

J

Jullianna

I got let down pretty easy by a girl once. She said "You are annoying, don't call me anymore."
Pretty easy to understand.
yeah..but ..why be mean? :(

J

Jullianna

I'd think if the guy was payin half attention he could probably figure it out without it coming down to some crazy event.
YES! That makes sense, doesn't it??!! That's exactly what I don't get. Why can't people just be grownups without getting all dramatic and nasty? ugh...

J

Jullianna

Now this is a personal thread. Well done, Jullianna.

For a bit of back story, I've been dumped around 11 times, and have only broken up with a girl once.

Having to be the one breaking the relationship gives you more appreciation for its difficulty, and more regret too.

Anyway, now I shall answer your remaining questions. ^_^

Each one made me feel horrible. Hurt, doubting, depressed, apathetic, somewhat angry, ext. I said many things, but nothing particularly regrettable. Sometimes you ask why, what you did, didn't do, or for them to reconsider. This normally makes it all the more painful. Sometimes you just say 'okay', stay somewhat composed, and then go die a little inside once you're alone and weeping. Sometimes you feel angry or betrayed. Sometimes you just don't say anything.

As I said, I have once broken up a relationship.

Why? ...as hard as it may be to understand, I believe it's because God told me to. I told her that, and many other things, but it was by far the hardest most painful thing I have ever had to do.

To be honest, I don't think there is a 'right' way to dump someone, or right things to say.

There are, however, wrong ways and sayings when ending a relationship.

For example, my worst breakup was when a past girlfriend met me outside her house to let me know we were breaking up because she (and I quote) "Found someone who looked better." I also got to find out later she was seeing this guy while we were dating. *sigh*

Anyway, these are difficult and deeply personal connections in people's lives. It's complicated.
I TOTALLY get God telling you to end a relationship! Had that happen to me. As a christian woman, I know that we are supposed to be led by the man who may become our husband, but when a man is leading you into sin and won't listen to you when you ask him not to, God says to tell him "Goodbye", not "I do".

J

Jullianna

I personally have never been dumped, however I have dumped 2 people. I decided to end my marriage due to the fact he was a cheater (including my sisters). I finally had enough and said I didn't want to be with him anymore. He just kept doing it and wasn't going to change.
I just broke up with my boyfriend. He was emotionally and physically abusive. I told him I couldn't deal with him. He's still trying to say he's changed and he sees now what a good person I am...
Those are my only 2 relationships in my life. Being a part of both has driven me to seek the Lord. If I didn't have him, I don't even want to think about how I could have turned out.
There is no easy way to break up with someone, but doing it respectfully and honestly is the best way, in my own opinion.
I'm so glad you are walking with the Lord now, however it came about :) God bless and welcome to the forum! :)

J

Jullianna

When I get dumped I go into fix it mode. I want to fix the problem, even though sometimes the problem is US.

When I I dump someone I usually just let them go and then don't talk to them for a while.

I've never dumped someone for someone else and unless I was cheated on, we usually can be friends afterwards.
Maybe that's the wisest way. Then, as Stilly said, they would get the hint that it's not working out.

M

Matthew

YES! That makes sense, doesn't it??!! That's exactly what I don't get. Why can't people just be grownups without getting all dramatic and nasty? ugh...
I don't think it does, it should.....but it doesn't.

When people are dating it's fair to say one person is often more invested and they're the one who gets dumped.
Those people are often already on the road to falling in love, and love is blinding, it takes away all logic, on the outside of them it may look like casual dating but on the inside of them they may be getting lost in the dreams of what might be.

I think when someone reacts badly to being dumped and they aren't dealing with a particular issue such as being controlling etc... the reason is simply that they feel more for you than you realised and the instinctive desire to hold onto the relationship blinds them to 'obvious' signs that things clearly aren't going well.

In general we all have times in realtionships when we think we can 'fix it', when we rail against the painful truth that it just isn't right.

It's part of the reason I don't date casually, if there's the potential that one or both of us could end up with that pain, then it has to measure up to what we stood to gain.

J

Jullianna

I don't think it does, it should.....but it doesn't.

When people are dating it's fair to say one person is often more invested and they're the one who gets dumped.
Those people are often already on the road to falling in love, and love is blinding, it takes away all logic, on the outside of them it may look like casual dating but on the inside of them they may be getting lost in the dreams of what might be.

I think when someone reacts badly to being dumped and they aren't dealing with a particular issue such as being controlling etc... the reason is simply that they feel more for you than you realised and the instinctive desire to hold onto the relationship blinds them to 'obvious' signs that things clearly aren't going well.

In general we all have times in realtionships when we think we can 'fix it', when we rail against the painful truth that it just isn't right.

It's part of the reason I don't date casually, if there's the potential that one or both of us could end up with that pain, then it has to measure up to what we stood to gain.
Wisest statement I've read lately :)