Easter

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

Pilgrimer

Paschal Week Chronology

6 days before Passover
FridayNisan 8 late afternoon - Jesus arrives in
Bethany from Jericho
FridayNisan 9sunset – Sabbath supper at home of Simon

5 days before Passover

SaturdayNisan 9Sabbath - Jesus rests in
Bethany; multitudes come from all over to see Jesus and Lazarus; chief priests and Pharisees plot to arrest both Jesus and Lazarus

4 days before Passover

SundayNisan 10 Palm Sunday, Jesus enters
Jerusalem; lambs selected for Passover; Jesus cleanses Temple for the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] time

3 days before Passover

Monday Nisan 11 – Jesus teaches the multitudes

2 days before Passover

TuesdayNisan 12 – Jesus’ denunciation of
Jerusalem; Mt. Olivet discourse

1 day before Passover

WednesdayNisan 13 - no record in Gospels how Jesus spent the day; possibly in Bethany and last night spent there

WednesdayNisan 14 at sunset Jews begin to search their homes with candles for leaven

Passover

ThursdayNisan 14 morning – no leaven eaten after
10:00 a.m.
ThursdayNisan 14
noon– leaven cemonially destroyed by burning or by dispersing to the winds
ThursdayNisan 14afternoon – lambs sacrificed, Seder prepared

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Day of Unleavened Bread

ThursdayNisan 15evening – Seder eaten (roasted Passover lamb and 1st Passover Chagigah eaten {breast and shoulder of voluntary thank-offering})

Thursday Nisan 15 night – Jesus arrested, brought before priests and elders

FridayNisan 15morning – Jesus brought before Pilate

FridayNisan 15 9:00 in the morning – Jesus crucified

FridayNisan 1512:00
noon– darkness
FridayNisan 153:00 in the afternoon – Jesus dies

Friday Nisan 15 late afternoon – Jesus' body placed in tomb
Friday - Nisan 15 - before sunset women purchase and prepare spices for Jesus' burial (festival sabbaths allowed certain work necessary for preparation for the feasts, shops were allowed to be open to provide pilgrims with necessary items to keep the feast); High Sabbath preparations made

Sabbath (a "High Day")

FridayNisan 16sunset – High Sabbath begins (2nd feast at which mandatory 2nd Passover Chagigah is eaten which Pharisees would have been excluded from eating had they become defiled that morning)

FridayNisan 16 night – women rest

SaturdayNisan 16Sabbath – women rest
Saturday - Nisan 17 - night - Rabbinic Law requires that work not be resumed during night following Shabbat

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Day of the Week

SundayNisan 17 morning early – women come to tomb, Jesus is risen

Sources: The Gospels, Talmudic Tractate "Pesachim," Josephus "Antiquities."

P

Pilgrimer

Palm Sunday

Palm Sunday

The ancient village of Bethany from which Jesus began his short trek over the Mount of Olives for his Palm Sunday entry into Jerusalem. He spent the week of Passover here, going up to the city during the day and spending his nights in the home of Lazarus, Mary, and Martha.

Bethany 2.jpg

The present-day road from Bethany to Jerusalem over the Mt. of Olives follows the ancient course and would have been the route Jesus followed on Palm Sunday.

Road from Mt. of Olives.jpg

The ancient road leading down off the Mt. of Olives and across the Kidron Valley to the Eastern Gate.

Garden of Gethsemane with Mt. of Olives in background, c. 1900.jpg

The Eastern Gate as it would have appeared in the time of Jesus and through which he would entered the city on Palm Sunday.

Jerusalem gate.jpg

The present walled up gates on the eastern aspect of the Temple mount were built in the 7-8th century during the Umayyad period and were not the gates Jesus would have used to enter the city.

goldengate.gif

These later gates that still stand today were built upon the ruins of an earlier, Herodian era gate that now lie underground, beneath the current gates and have been rendered unusable by Jews due to human remains being buried in the area under and immediately in front of the ancient Temple gate.

Lintle of Eastern Gate from time of Jesus.gif

The Palestinian authority will not allow the area to be excavated so the ancient gate and the route leading up to it are inaccessible. The discovery was made by a student who was photographing the Umayyad period gates after a hard rain and the softened ground gave way beneath him. He fell into a large sinkhole and was able to photograph the Herodian-style arch that lies directly beneath the Umayyad period gates.

Jesus would have passed beneath the arch of this gate on his triumphant entry into Jerusalem.

526675_353160374787866_619335516_n.jpg

Oct 31, 2011
Thank you.

I yearn to spend my thanksgiving for being led out of bondage, like Passover and Easter is, celebrating like this. We don't have any play by play directions from God for our Easter Sunday, but scripture gives us a how to for celebrating with Passover.

The OT is full of how to. The NT is full of the heart of what the how to's were for. People of the OT sometimes forgot what the how to's meant, and people of the NT forget all the how to's. Then NT people, without any of the OT in their heart and soul read how Paul explained the heart of things were what it was all about, and reading that with tunnel vision means they decide he told them never, ever, to do anything, just take on the heart. Extremes never lead to God.

P

Pilgrimer

Thank you.

I yearn to spend my thanksgiving for being led out of bondage, like Passover and Easter is, celebrating like this. We don't have any play by play directions from God for our Easter Sunday, but scripture gives us a how to for celebrating with Passover.

The OT is full of how to. The NT is full of the heart of what the how to's were for. People of the OT sometimes forgot what the how to's meant, and people of the NT forget all the how to's. Then NT people, without any of the OT in their heart and soul read how Paul explained the heart of things were what it was all about, and reading that with tunnel vision means they decide he told them never, ever, to do anything, just take on the heart. Extremes never lead to God.
I appreciate your comments but as a long-time student of Old Testament typology I have to say that the Law was not a "how to," but rather the Law was a "symbol of" what true worship would be like in the Day of Salvation.

If you seek to keep the Passover, then the Jerusalem you must come to is the Heavenly City, and the Lamb you must partake of is the flesh and blood of Jesus. Just as there is no salvation in the earthly types, so too there is no peace or fellowship with God in those things which are mere shadows of heaven.

Have a blessed Easter season ~

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Oct 31, 2011
I appreciate your comments but as a long-time student of Old Testament typology I have to say that the Law was not a "how to," but rather the Law was a "symbol of" what true worship would be like in the Day of Salvation.

If you seek to keep the Passover, then the Jerusalem you must come to is the Heavenly City, and the Lamb you must partake of is the flesh and blood of Jesus. Just as there is no salvation in the earthly types, so too there is no peace or fellowship with God in those things which are mere shadows of heaven.

Have a blessed Easter season ~

In Christ,
Pilgrimer
Your points are so well stated! I wanted to use the words how to because I yearn for more doing in celebration instead of just saying without the doing.

The OT used what we do, often so they didn't even know why they were instructed to do certain things. All of these things could be done perfectly without, as you say, partaking of the flesh and blood of Jesus. They could go through being freed from bondage in Egypt without the least idea of being freed from bondage of sin. That doesn't work. But it is possible to shout "I believe, Lord I believe" without it affecting at all what we do. That also doesn't work.

It isn't necessary to follow the rituals of Passover to celebrate the freedom from bondage that Christ gives. But it is almost impossible to go through this ritual without Christ, it all relates to Him. I have seen many easter egg hunts and easter ham dinners that did not have Christ included at all. I yearn for celebrations that are all about Christ, nothing else.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for the interesting recount of the week leading to the crucifixion and resurrection using the Hebrew dates. And nice pictures of the journey into Jerusalem. I love history and archeology and geography and how they flesh out our understanding of what happened in those days.

J

jody50

When did Easter start?

A

Abiding

Nice work Pilgrimer. thank you:cool: