Eating right and exercise for beginners

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 18, 2015
Ilya, guys. I've been a diabetic for about a year. I know all the eating right and exercise to keep me healthy. I have two 5lb weights that I can carry when I walk. I drink water. Are there any other things I should do to keep me healthy? I'm sure there is.

I

Ilona

First of all, try to eat at the same time every day.
You are right drinking water is useful! Juice is good too, but there is much sugar in there, so better make your own one.
It's better not to eat fried, spicy food. Great to eat fruits and vegetables.
I like candies and such sweet stuff, but it's also not too good for our health...
And remember, we live not for eating, but we eat for possibility of healthy living. And also our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19). So, we must care about it :)

Apr 29, 2015
Changing one's diet is important by removing white bread, rice, potato, and high calorie foods. Whole wheat or whole grain is great, sweet potato, brown rice and healthy smoothies(find online) and vegetables. My A1C is now 6.5 because I lost weight, change diet, and positive attitude. I am now a size 14 my goal is size 10 and I was size 26-28. Start out slow then increase your workout. I was on vacation few weeks ago went off my diet,but I am on track now. Many workouts on youtube for beginners. Remember small meals throughout the day and breakfast is important. You can do it!!

F

FriendlyGuitarist

Like Dayo said, there are many workouts for beginners on Youtube that you can check out. Since your a beginner, I suggest doing a lot of bodyweight workouts without using free weights to build you strength so you can start using heavier weights.

Dec 26, 2014
Ilya, guys. I've been a diabetic for about a year. I know all the eating right and exercise to keep me healthy. I have two 5lb weights that I can carry when I walk. I drink water. Are there any other things I should do to keep me healthy? I'm sure there is.
pray , pray a lot, pray a lot more. give your life entirely over to god, and devour scripture trusting in god to reveal truth to you.

Nov 26, 2012
I assume its type 2. This is a very treatable illness. There are programs to reverse it in 30-40 days. The question is; do you want to keep your lifestyle or do you want to be healthy? From my understanding, this is what usually happens. We get sugar in the blood from eating and from stress. All kinds of stress on our bodies; emotional, physical, mental, food allergies, food sensitivities*, and even too much exercise. These trigger cortisol. Cortisol is our body's anti-inflamatory response but also turns glycogen (glucose reserves in the muscle cells and liver cells) back into blood sugar. If you use the blood sugar for energy as God intended, to escape danger, no problem. Most cortisol is from food additives and sensitivities so we don't use the sugar it just gets reabsorbed as glycogen and fat. However between eating sweet foods and cortisol being constantly in our system our pancreas is working overtime pumping out the insulin. This bombardment of insulin causes our cells to be insulin resistant (it gums up the receptors preventing the cells to open to receive the glucose). I would follow an actual plan already proven successful but this is a basic version. Eliminate just about all sugar except for veggies for two weeks. Lots of vegetables, leafy greens for antioxidants combating oxidative stress. Some nuts, fish and protein sources. Do not eat wheat products! All wheat has been genetically modified and most people are sensitive to it. For a few weeks limit dairy because the antibodies your body created to fight gluten might respond to dairy. Rigorous exercise lowers cortisol in men. Here's a neat fact; human growth hormone will not be released during an insulin spike. So exercise at a caloric deficit and don't eat until one and a half hours after to get max benefit. No carbs 4 hours before bed. Get at least 7 hrs sleep. This should be enough to get you started. This will be huge if you follow this not just for diabetes but health in general. I recommend it to anybody who wants six pack abs as well.

W

Witness45

Eat multiple (I'd say around 5) small meals a day rather than fewer big meals. This speeds up your metabolism. Stay active with at least something all day or most of the day every day (if possible), even if it's as simple as walking/staying on your feet. Eat the rainbow (no, I'm not talkin' bout skittles). I know that sounds silly, but the best and easiest way to know you're getting all the necessary nutrients is to eat foods of every color. Different colored foods typically have different basic vitamins and nutrients. Stick primarily with water and anything else to drink shouldn't have any sugar. Consistency with sleep matters more than the amount of hours with sleep. Lastly, food is for energy, not recreation. I think it's a no brainer, but NO JUNK FOOD.

It's about making multiple small healthy habits that make the whole, not one big simple solution.