Editing my avatar

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

ForeverHis42

Whenever I try to save my avatar my computer makes me restart my whole system...u know, press and hold the power button until the screen goes black and re-log in. I am trying to use a picture from my desktop on my computer, so I click the browse computer option and as soon as i click save changes, i have to restart. the worst thing is, it doesnt even save. **sigh** anybody have any ideas?? if it helps to know, I got the picture off the internet first.

Last edited:
U

Ugly

Well, some problem with your computer then, or possibly your browser. You should not have to reboot your whole system. Maybe try a different browser.
Also, make sure the picture is not too big, or it make not accept the picture
Check the file type as well. I'd suggest making sure its either a JPG or GIF. Other formats are less common and may not be recognized by the site, i'm not sure though.

S

Siberian_Khatru

Whenever I try to save my avatar my computer makes me restart my whole system...u know, press and hold the power button until the screen goes black and re-log in.
Uh, please tell me you are not doing that. :eek:

That is a quick way to damage your file system and lose your data. You don't EVER want to do a cold reboot like that unless the computer freezes on you. And christianchat.com should never prompt you to reboot your computer to make this change, because the alteration is on their server, not your computer.

When you click on "Apply Changes" after selecting your picture, the page should reload with your new avatar automatically. Please, let me know what it is that is making you think you need to reboot your computer. I am happy to help you troubleshoot it. :)

F

ForeverHis42

the website doesn't tell me to reboot, the mac does. the screen goes a light tinted gray, and a dark box in the middle says "you need to reboot your computer..." below it is rewritten in a million other languages. i am incapable of pressing anything at that point- it just wont do anything until i hold that stupid power button and relogin. :(

S

Siberian_Khatru

Oh, I'm sorry to say that - although I think Macs are excellent computers - Macs are not my forte.

Still, it sounds like something is wrong with the operating system (particularly because of the notifications in other languages).

F

ForeverHis42

No, it does that anytime it tells u to restart- its all one box with the message in english first, then in other languages. Kind of like important signs at a business, when they want to make sure everyone gets it. or when the school district passes out papers and the front is english but the back is spanish.

S

Siberian_Khatru

Spanish IS the new English these days. :p

If you can't reboot the system from the taskbar, then something seems amiss. A cold shut down is never recommended; it's a last resort when the computer locks up.

Sorry I'm not of much help here. :( I'm hoping to gain ground with Macs one day.