Ephesians -- They will be blessed in what they do

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Ps 22:24 For he has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help. Growing up kids can feel like they are the afflicted one. Your job is to listen to their cry for help, don’t hide your face from them. I also had spiritual fathers. David Campbell is the brother that brought the gospel to me when I was on the campus. He wasn’t a student, he wasn’t too bright, just a very simple person who knew that the Lord had put him on this campus. I did everything in my power not to encourage him, but at the same time I was praying that if the Lord had sent him to not give up on me. I first met him in August and it wasn’t until April that I got baptized, so it was a very long period of persistent faithfulness. I asked him why? I hadn’t done anything to encourage him. He said “because you were honest”. If I told him I could make it to a meeting I would make it. Pr 22:20 Have I not written thirty sayings for you, sayings of counsel and knowledge, 21 teaching you to be honest and to speak the truth, so that you bring back truthful reports to those you serve? We serve the Lord and our salvation will be directly related to that service. After I got saved I dropped out of college during the summer between my freshman and sophomore years. Mike Connally heard about this and came to me. He was a big policeman and brother in the church. He took me down to the center of campus and told me how he had been praying for this campus. It isn’t like UH, anyone can get in there, to get in this university is very difficult, so the Lord would have to send someone (a very rare hurricane in Wales, UK the previous year is what sent me to Rice University in Houston, Tx, but that is another story). He shared his vision and as a result I reapplied. I needed a vision of why I was where I was and he gave it to me. A brother prays in Houston Texas, and God uses a hurricane in Britain to answer it. Ps 3:4 I call out to the Lord, and he answers me from his holy mountain. It is much easier to pray in faith that God can answer you when you have had experiences of Him answering prayers. That is really the vision I want to pass on to others. However, I had some very difficult times over the next few years. What I would do is go visit Mike Collins. He lived within walking distance of my apartment. He and his wife were quite poor in a very dignified way. I cannot think of one word that Mike ever told me, no word. But in his driveway he would fix the cars of the saints. I would hand him tools while he worked. The saints would pay him by giving food to his family. Many of the people he helped were poorer than he was, mainly widows. It never mattered how bad the situation was for me, after two hours at his house I always felt better.
 
1Cor 11:1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. One year I had volunteered to help build a church conference center. I was on the planter crew, we were building concrete planters that would later be covered in sandstone for the parking lot. One of the people in my crew felt he was ready to go build his own planter, so I gave him the OK. It took two weeks because the rain was brutal and the ground was this thick clay mud. It was a horrible ordeal, but finally they poured his planter. Unfortunately it was off center. Ray Graver was the foreman of the operation and called us out to look at the planter. The whole time I was feeling at ease since I hadn’t made this mistake. All of a suddenly Ray is hitting his fist into his hand and saying “who is responsible for this? That is what I want to know!” It hit me, “I am”. Many years later with my two oldest kids we were in a very tough situation, they had both been raised in Taiwan, they didn’t speak english, but they were going into sixth and seventh grade. I knew that the school would not be able to help them, and I knew I could teach them english faster and better than anyone else (I had taught ESL in Taiwan for 8 years). So I decided to homeschool them even thought I had a full time job. I told them, this is your education, you are responsible for it, you will have to live with it, not me. Six months later my older brother comes to me, concerned, he had tried to talk to them and they hadn’t been able to talk. I told him I wasn’t focused on talking. After 3 years of homeschool they both entered high school in NY. No one knew that English was not their first language. When my daughter was a senior she was going to be the valedictorian, but since she hadn’t taken a foreign language she couldn’t get the advanced degree. This was going to be an embarrassment to the school. I asked if she could simply take a test and they said yes. I told them “let her take the Chinese test”. They had no idea she spoke chinese. A similar situation happened at my son’s high school. We were meeting with the principal because he was going to be valedictorian and she wound up speaking to him in Chinese. She was amazed at how good he was able to speak it and told me that most Americans have a heavy accent. I told her that he grew up in Taiwan and Chinese was his first language. She had no idea. 1Cor 7:24 Brothers and sisters, each person, as responsible to God, should remain in the situation they were in when God called them. The mistake most ESL classes make is to emphasize speaking, that is like building the house without first making a solid foundation. Speaking and writing are production, listening and reading are comprehensible input that allows the brain to learn the language naturally. Nothing is more challenging than learning a foreign language and to do that you have to be willing to make mistakes. How do you bring someone up in the “training and instruction of the Lord”? I think that is a very valid question, so I am going to share a story that I have not shared with anyone before. Partly because I don’t know the best part of the story, but we’ll get to that in a second. When my oldest son was about five years old he announced that he had figured out the secret to life, it was to be polite. He said if you are polite people will do anything you ask. His mother was beaming. But I told them “that is not the secret to life, life is the secret to life”. His mother was outraged and said I was stupid. I figured this would be something I would definitely want to deal with because if he continues on this path it will lead to being a phony political person who manipulates others. But at the same time I realized a truth is like a sword made of steel. A falsehood is like a wooden sword. They both may seem to be about the same until you are in a life or death situation and then it will become very clear what is true and what isn’t. A month or two later my wife asked me to talk to my son before going to work. They were going to the doctor that day and he was scared. So I went into his room. He was running around putting blankets on chairs, when I opened the door he was startled, almost panicked till he saw it was only me and then continued with what he was doing. I waited for about sixty seconds and then said “it won’t work, she’ll sniff you out, and it will be worse”. He knew I was right and began to cry. I said “ok, ok, I’ll help you”. Instantly he was fine, he wanted to know what to do. So I told him the problem with doctors is the slightest little thing and they take it as an insult and wham, they stick a needle in you. I said “do you know how you treat your mom on her birthday?” He nodded. I said “do you know how you treat her on mother’s day”? He nodded. I said “well, doctors, you gotta treat them like it is their birthday and mother’s day all in one. Can you do that?” He nodded, he was happy, he had a game plan, and he knew he could do it. So I went to work and when I came back that night my wife was so happy. She told me how much face he had given her. Meanwhile he was tugging at my pants leg, so I told him to wait, your mother is talking. Anyway she handed me the paper and my daughter and told me to sit down and relax and she would get dinner. It was really great. As soon as I sat down he began to talk, it was about a five minute non stop in chinese, and my chinese was rudimentary at best. I gave him a quizzical look like I was puzzling it out and then as thought a light bulb had just gone off I said “something about the doctor!” He nodded. “Something you didn’t like!” Again, he nodded. I was feeling pretty good with myself at this point and said “he didn’t have his certificates on the wall!” He looked at me with no understanding. So I quickly said, “no, no, something else''. I looked real carefully at him, he could see the smoke coming from my ears, and all of a sudden with horror I said “he gave you a shot!” He nodded. I said “I told you to be polite to him!” He cried “I was''. I said “well, apparently he didn’t think so”. He was crying so I asked for him to help me visualize what happened. I asked how many people were there, how many doctors, how many nurses, how many kids and then I said “out of all those people he gave you a shot, just you! Obviously you did something wrong”. I was now reading the paper, discussion over, and Poiema was on my lap, but I kept talking “no one would dare give Poiema a shot. Even if there were a doctor that was that mean and that cruel the nurses would grab her away and say how could you! This girl is too cute, you can’t do this!” All of a sudden he knocks my paper down with two arms and says “everyone”. I look at him puzzles, “everyone”? And then it slowly dawns on me, I look at him, I look at Poiema, and I say with horror “everyone!” Poiema starts crying, her mother comes running in, picks her up and says “will you shut up”. I hold my head in my hands, crestfallen, my son is patting me on the back. I say “what kind of sicko would do this? Men in white coats running around jabbing babies with needles, mothers snatching up their crying babies and running out of there!” And then I looked at him and said “I’m gonna tell you the truth”. That startled him, what? He took a step back. I said “you know this morning when I talked to you?” He nodded. I said “I, I, I knew this would happen. I didn’t tell you because I figured you wouldn’t believe me.” That made sense to him. I continued, “do you want my help?” He nodded, yes! I said “trust me, the day will come, not tomorrow, not next week, but I guarantee the day will come when you return there! I won’t be there. You will be outnumbered, they will all be bigger than you, use your size to your advantage, get under the table.” At that moment my wife came running in with a frying pan yelling “are you an idiot!” while he was holding her back saying “he is trying to help me!” Anyway, a few months later something happened no one told me what, my son desperately wanted to tell me but the withering death stare of his mother terrified him. So I never learned that part of the story. However, my son never forgot the pain of disappointing his mother and bringing shame to her. As a result it was like an inoculation against rebellion. Drug abuse, fornication, there are all kinds of forms of rebellion that are far more serious and long lasting than one embarrassing afternoon at the doctor’s office. Also, my son realized that his “super power” of being polite ran into the kryptonite of anything that has to do with life. Jn 1:4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. Building your life on a solid foundation of truth is far more important than some very short term experience of pain and shame. In my experience the Lord doesn’t debate with people. You can take your truth, like a sword, into the battle. Then you will discover if your truth is real steel or just wood. If you never test your truth in the battle then what difference does it make if it is a steel sword or a wooden one? The other thing I have learned is that people are ready when they are ready. Too often we think “he is too young”. The best time for an answer is when you are asking the questions. Nothing is more exasperating to kids than to be told they are too young to understand. Finally, the key lesson my son learned was to obey his parents in the Lord, regardless of whether or not he understood. Why would his mother, who loves him and his father who loves him send him to the doctor knowing he would get a shot if that was not what was best? Rebellion takes place when you don’t think those who are taking the lead have your best interests at heart.
 
5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. 7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, 8 because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free.

Let’s address the elephant in the room, this word “slaves”. According to the Bible a slave must be an adult who enters into an agreement to do a certain amount of work for a certain amount of money. You could not sell people against their will, nor could you make a child a slave. You were not born into slavery. Being a slave was not based on your race. Today what we call “employees” are what Paul refers to as slaves. To own your own land, your own business is to be a “master”. The type of slavery practiced in the South was an ugly, twisted abusive practice that was clearly prohibited in the Old Testament. So if you have a trouble with the word “slaves” simply substitute “employees”. My dad worked for UPI and was sent to Munich in 1976 to cover the olympics. When the Palestinians kidnapped the Israelis he snuck into the compound pretending to be a Hungarian 400m runner, and reported from a building next to the Israelis. He served “wholeheartedly, as if he was serving the Lord”. 2Tim 2:5 Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor’s crown except by competing according to the rules. He competed according to the rules that reporters operate under.

9 And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him.

When I was in high school my Dad was called into George Bush’s office at the CIA. My dad had rejected a deal to buy a small news service out of Florida which was a front for the CIA. Bush wanted him to change his mind. My dad said “if we buy this what is to stop Russia from arresting my reporters and charging them with spying?” Bush didn’t deny it, instead he said “it would be good for your career if you look the other way”. To my dad, when you are in charge you are like the father or mother. So he rejected Bush and was soon forced to resign from the UPI. He went to the NY Times, they were doing a feature story on JFK’s assassination, which was nothing but a smoke screen for the CIA. At that time my dad also left the NY Times, the article said they had “professional differences”. When you are the boss you need to remind yourselves that one day you will have to answer in heaven for what you have done and there is no favoritism with God. Pr 4:19 But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble. I don’t want to share the next story, only the basic principle. When I was first saved at college we had a prevailing gospel ministry on campus. Soon everyone on that campus knew who we were and feared to be seen with us. The person in charge of my college told my parents I had wasted my time there. That was an ugly and hurtful thing to say since they had paid for four years and he was telling them I had wasted their money. I went to the Lord and the Lord told me several things. First, there were things I could have done better, second, we had made a very big difference on that campus, everyone that saw us had to confront the Lord, and third vengeance is His. After praying and dealing with this for two weeks the man who had said this was shamed to the uttermost before the entire campus. When the Bible says “vengeance is mine, I will repay” you better believe that the Lord’s vengeance is far more severe than anything I could do or imagine. Rom 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. The sixth blessing, blessed are those that bless you. Obeying your parents in the Lord is right, it is the way of blessing. Today we see the protests for the Black Lives Matter campaign. They will be blessed if they obey their parents in the Lord. Martin Luther King Jr. was “in the Lord”, I would also argue that Ghandi was in the Lord. Both of those men mapped a path that led to civil rights and justice. AOC was asked what defunding the police department looks like and she said it looks like the suburbs. In the suburbs people pay for many different school programs and after school programs to keep their kids active. As a result they don’t have gangs and the police department is much friendlier, less militaristic, and smaller. That was my experience. I spent a year at a boarding school in England where the rich and the elite sent there kids. Every single kid in the school was involved in a team. If you weren’t on the first team, you were on the second, and if you weren’t on the second you were on the third. When we would play a match the first team played their first team, the second played their second, etc. You can do this with cricket, rugby, soccer, basketball and baseball because they don’t involve hundreds of dollars of equipment like football does. When I was in the suburbs I was in the Boyscouts and we would go hiking and camping each weekend. To do that you need parents who will drive all the kids to and from the place and you need parents who will hike and camp. Also, each kid needs about $500 worth of equipment (backpack, boots, sleeping bag, a tent and a knife). The blessing comes from honoring those who have gone before us and obeying them in the Lord. Not everyone can afford what they do in the suburbs, but we all can afford what they do in Taiwan. School starts at 8 am with about 45 minutes of exercises for the entire school out in the main courtyard. Everyone eats lunch at school. Then at around 4pm school ends and everyone is involved in cleaning up the school, sweeping, picking up garbage, etc. They then have a study hall and dinner until 8pm. Students have a 12 hour day, but there are activities, they take ownership in their school by keeping it clean, they get fed and when they return home the homework is already done. I suspect that if we hired a few administrators from Taiwan they could tell us how to run a school very economically. You could spend less on the police, a lot less, and perhaps just a little more on the school. Doing this you would eliminate the gangs which are the biggest issue in cities like NY, Chicago and LA. I am a teacher in Brooklyn, an inner city school. I believe if we adopted the Taiwan approach we could greatly improve our schools. It would cost more but the children would benefit greatly, not only getting a better education, a better training, but also avoiding many of the pitfalls of gangs, violence, drugs, and teenage pregnancy. The money you save on the police would more than compensate for the extra money you spend on your kids.
 
The seventh blessing — All nations will be blessed in thee​


Joshua emphasizes following God’s orders. Ephesians 6 emphasizes being obedient. Children obeying parents, servants obeying masters, and that everything we do we do as unto the Lord. Finally, in Joshua the land is divided up and the tribes need to take possession of their inheritance. Everything has been done so that they could stand in that good land. Likewise in Ephesians: This leads to our being ambassadors of the gospel, speaking in boldness as we ought to speak. This is the seventh blessing, that “all the families on Earth would be blessed in us”. That is the gospel, the good news, all the families on Earth will be blessed in us.

I heard a message on Youtube where the preacher was saying that “I can’t fix racial injustice, I can’t fix people who feel like they are disenfranchised”. Instead he said our responsibility is to preach the gospel. Well, the gospel is that all the nations will be blessed in the church. The gospel is not simply that God is building a great nation from those who were former slaves, but that all the nations would be blessed in the church. We are one new man, a warrior that stands on Earth for righteousness. Daniel 12:3 Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. Right now there is a battle going on. It is confusing, there are reports that there are planned armed protests in all 50 capitals on January 20th. Who is planning this? Why? We have tech giants censoring the official communication channel of the President of the US. Countries around the world are protesting, some senators and congressmen are protesting, but the majority of them are either silent, or agree with this behavior. What is going on? We saw three companies collude together to wipe out a competitor -- Apple, Google and Amazon.com all acted to destroy Parler. Where is the outrage from our elected officials? A couple of elected officials have been vocal but many are silent. There is a basic principle I have learned that is very important, you can learn a lot about a person based on who their enemies are. A month ago I never heard about Parler but now I know that their enemies are those who support censorship and are against free speech. That tells me a lot about this company. If you have the first six blessings, you have a vision, you have been made into a great nation, you have been blessed, your name has been made great, you are a blessing to others and even those that bless you get blessed. Then at that point people are willing to look to you for guidance. If it had been anyone else I would have assumed Amazon.com had good reason to do what they did, Apple had good reason and Google had good reason. But since this company had credibility with me I listened to their side of the story. It has become very clear to me, one side is for civil liberties like freedom of speech and freedom of worship, and the other side is not. Now these companies who want to abuse the power and position they have are not a blessing but a curse to the whole world. You will not be blessed in them, they will figure out a way to bring you into bondage. So then, what do we do?
 
10 Finally,

So now we come to “finally”, the key point. Ephesians presents the seven blessings of our covenant with God. So imagine you are faced with an issue, for example, these protests concerning police violence and the Black Lives Matter movement. You could ask “what does God’s covenant say concerning this?” That in turn would lead you to Ephesians. This is the angle I am taking. So, the question is “what should we do?” The previous five and half chapters are all a build up, we need a vision of the Lord as the fulfillment of Joseph who saved people alive in Egypt. Our covenant includes making a great nation out of us, out of former slaves. The covenant includes making our name great. It is not great to replace one tyrant with another, to replace one corrupt ruler with another. Winning by fraud is not the answer. And, we need to be a blessing, not a curse to others. These violent riots by ANTIFA are designed to be a curse to others. To do that we need to honor our fathers and mothers in the Lord, we need to know our history, and we need to know how our ancestors came out of slavery and follow their footsteps. These are all essential points before we can even discuss taking up the whole armor of God and battling with the forces of evil. be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. All of their teaching to us was so that we would be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. When the Israelites entered the good land the first city they took was Jericho. The spies had visited the city and learned that everyone in the city knew that God was with the Israelites, they knew that their city was evil and corrupt, they were there in fear of the Lord. That foreshadows the Lord’s coming at the end of this age. Today many know the world is corrupt, they are in fear of the Lord, and they will know that God is with His people. Rahab revealed the situation in the city she gave the spies a window into Jericho. But the way in which they took Jericho was truly according to the riches of God’s glory. They were surrounded by a wall. Jericho felt they were strong within the wall. A wall is designed to be very strong against an attack, just like a dam holding back water, it is curved because the pressure against it will make it all the stronger. At the top of the wall there is a rampart where the soldiers can stand, look out over the wall, and defend the city from atop the wall. You have to visualize this situation. The entire city is prepared for an imminent attack, they stand at the ready beneath the wall as Israel marches around, quietly. They ask those atop the wall what is happening, what is Israel doing? They aren’t doing anything. Surely they are doing something, you aren’t looking carefully enough. The next day it is the same, and the next. They become exasperated, everyone thinks if I was up there I would see what they were doing. Everyone at the bottom of the wall asks “what are they doing” and those at the top are saying the same thing, “nothing”. This goes on for seven days, only on the seventh something is different, they walk around seven times, and when they start blowing the trumpets this time it is too much for the people to bear, they know something is going on and they will see for themselves. Everyone who was standing at the bottom clambers up the ladders, rushing to see what is going on. The wall is not designed to handle this sudden and overwhelming force outward from every direction and it falls down flat. God’s mighty power, He knows the hearts of man. This works because they are liars and the people in the city do not feel those who are reporting the news to them are telling them the truth. This is no different than today. Everyone has been in lockdown, they watch the news to see what is happening, every day they want to know what is happening, and the news is vague. Repeatedly, again, and again, and again those reporting to the people what is going on appear to be lying. Everyone has lost confidence that they are looking out for them. This attack on police is simply the testimony that people do not see the police as those that protect and serve them. The sixth blessing is not simply “I will bless those that bless you” it also includes “and I will curse those that curse you”. We have been speaking the truth, we have been sharing the gospel, the good news of Jesus Christ. There are many that reject that word and to reject it will ultimately result in them cursing those who bring the truth to them. You reap what you sow. Jericho’s walls collapsed quite literally because they could not withstand the truth any longer. Ps 45:4 In your majesty ride forth victoriously in the cause of truth, humility and justice; let your right hand achieve awesome deeds.

The claim of “fake news” is simply a claim that the news agencies are false witnesses and deceitful. You cannot have justice without truth. Isaiah 59:12 For our offenses are many in your sight, and our sins testify against us. Our offenses are ever with us, and we acknowledge our iniquities: 13 rebellion and treachery against the Lord, turning our backs on our God, inciting revolt and oppression, uttering lies our hearts have conceived. 14 So justice is driven back, and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. 15 Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey. The truth is our offenses are many in the sight of God. Deny that and there will be no justice. On one hand you have those who are inciting rebellion and revolt, on the other you have those in power through treachery and oppression. Both sides are uttering lies their hearts have conceived. That is why there is no justice, no righteousness, because truth has stumbled in the street and honesty cannot enter. If you shun evil, on either side of the divide, you will become prey. This is why Jeremiah said “Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem, look around and consider, search through her squares. If you can find but one person who deals honestly and seeks the truth, I will forgive this city. (Jeremiah 5:1) We are coming to the day of the Lord, He is the only one who has been found worthy. No one else. This is why Amos said There are those who hate the one who upholds justice in court and detest the one who tells the truth. (Amos 5:10) In the book of Ephesians we heard the message of truth in chapter 1 and we speak truth in love in chapter 4. We were taught in accordance with the truth that is in Christ Jesus and we have put off falsehood, speaking truth to one another. The fruit of the light consists of truth and we stand firm with the truth. There is a temptation, you see the wicked in power because of their falsehood and you are tempted to imitate them. Stand firm in the Lord and His mighty power, the power of the wicked will be broken. The prophets follow an evil course and use their power unjustly. Jeremiah 23:10 The prophets today are the “talking heads” on the TV, the news broadcasts, the press secretaries, the PR firms. We know this. I will tear off your veils and save my people from your hands, and they will no longer fall prey to your power. Then you will know that I am the Lord. Ezekiel 13:21 The Lord prophesied that the things spoken in secret would be shouted from the rooftop. Right now this is being fulfilled. Youtube is the rooftop, videos of police brutality is taking the veil off of what was happening. Micah 7:15 “As in the days when you came out of Egypt, I will show them my wonders.” 16 Nations will see and be ashamed, deprived of all their power. They will put their hands over their mouths and their ears will become deaf. They will be exposed in their lies, they will be ashamed, nothing to say, and simply become deaf. Remember, this is who we are struggling against, not flesh and blood, but against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world, against the spiritual forces of evil in the world. The truth is that in Christ we are strong, in Christ His mighty power is toward us who believe. The spiritual forces of evil will do everything they can to get you out of Christ.
 
11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.

You cannot put on the full armor of God until you have put off the old self that is corrupted by its evil desires. Do you want to take your stand against the devil? I think it is clear by all these people attending these protests that many do want to take a stand. They will not be successful unless they can stand against the devil’s schemes. For example, almost immediately some fringe groups tried to usurp peaceful protests and turn them into an opportunity for riots and looting. This is an example of the devil’s scheme to discredit the protestors.

12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Money is a key tool of these dark spiritual forces. When Joshua’s army entered the good land Achan, a soldier in the army, took treasure for himself. Everything was to be devoted to the Lord but he was unfaithful and took it. This also is a scheme of the devil.

13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Three times we are told to stand. No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. Joshua 1:5 If we are in Christ we will be able to stand and no one will be able to stand against us. When Achan took the devoted thing they were no longer in Christ, and they could no longer stand. The wicked will not be able to stand in the day of judgement, we are preparing our entire life so that we could stand in the day of trouble. The arrogant cannot stand in the presence of the Lord. You can’t put on the full armor of God unless you have put off wickedness and arrogance. No one who speaks falsely will stand in His presence. Isaiah 7:9 If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all. The entire book of Ephesians gives us the blessings of the covenant, these blessings will enable us to stand. Malachi 3:2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap. The only one that can stand is Jesus Christ, if we are in Him we also will stand.

14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist,

You can’t have the belt of truth buckled around your waste until you have put off falsehood. We are all members of one body and this body all comes together at the waist. We can only stand firm if we are one, and we will only be one if we speak truth with one another and put off falsehood.
 
with the breastplate of righteousness in place,

What does it mean to have the breastplate in place? I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help. I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness from the great assembly. Ps 40:10 Everyone can see your breastplate, the righteousness of God displayed for all to see. You put it in place when you share your testimony of God’s faithfulness, His saving Help, His love and his faithfulness in the great assembly -- the church. To speak of the Lord’s faithfulness and His saving help, that is how you put the breastplate of righteousness in its place. When I first studied geology in college the professor took us on a field trip to find fossils. During the bus ride I dreaded what was going to happen. I had tried to find fossils before and had never succeeded. I could see that we would arrive at this site, I would not be able to find fossils, and then he would say that I just was not cut out to be a geologist. As we walked down to the site I felt like I was marching to my judgement. He brought us to the banks of a river and instructed us to look. I was frozen with fear but slowly bent over and picked up a small rock. It was a fossil! I was stunned. The next rock and the next and every rock on that beach was a fossil. That is when I learned that geologists are not better than other people at spotting fossils, instead they simply know where to look. You want to find people of God, you need to know where to look.

15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

When you are going to battle you cannot afford to have your feet slip. The law of their God is in their hearts; their feet do not slip. Ps 37:31 Everyone knows that the Lord is our passover, His sacrifice made peace, and it is this sacrifice that is the gospel of peace. But this sacrifice was made at a time that the ruler of this age was going to war with God. This is how you are to eat it: with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand. Eat it in haste; it is the Lord’s Passover. Exodus 12:11 There was no peace, only a path that leads to peace, and we need to be ready to walk that path. Luke 1:79 to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace. The gospel of peace is that we know the way of peace. It is quite clear that many involved in these protests do not know the way of peace. and the way of peace they do not know. Romans 3:17 When you point this out to them the response is always the same, the cops don’t know the way of peace either. But this is a warrior, and if he is going to stand he cannot be shaken. Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the Lord, who has compassion on you. Isaiah 54:10 This is the gospel of the kingdom. This is what it means for all the nations to be blessed in us. Look, there on the mountains, the feet of one who brings good news, who proclaims peace! Celebrate your festivals, Judah, and fulfill your vows. No more will the wicked invade you; they will be completely destroyed. Nahum 1:15 We bring this message. You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. Acts 10:36 We announce that Jesus reigns. How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, “Your God reigns!” Isaiah 52:7 And we announce that Satan will soon be defeated. The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you. Romans 16:20. When I was in college there was a definite progression to the gospel. At first we would speak to people sitting at our table during lunch. There were four of us. One brother would always kick off the discussion, then I would jump in and share something from my geology class that morning. For example I might talk about how to find gold and how to distinguish it from fool’s gold. Then the third brother would jump in before I had finished, he would have his pocket New Testament out and read a verse to confirm what I had just shared. Finally, David would pray with the person from Romans 10, whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. We cut through the campus like a sharp knife. Eventually no one would sit at our table, they were scared of us. Once I was sitting at a table that had ten seats in the center of the cafeteria. The place was packed, standing room only, many kids were taking their lunch up to their room. Yet the other nine seats at this table were empty. They were terrified of me. So we went to stage two, which involved passing out tracks. We became much more aggressive. In one cafeteria I divided the room in half, the other two brothers took one half and I took the other. I went immediately to this table at the center and up to the key football player (you could tell by the way everyone else seemed to defer to him). I walked up to him and said “hey big man, do you want to know why God made you so big?” and then put down the gospel tract “the purpose of man”. When we returned to our table the other brothers wanted to know what I had said to him (they couldn’t believe I had talked to him as he was “the big man on campus”). They then watched. He was the last person to leave the cafeteria other than us. He took his tray back. His tract remained on the table untouched. As he returned on his way out his hand casually touched the table and the tract was gone. Even he was afraid to have other people see him read the tract. So then we went to stage three, we began publishing a 500 word article in the school paper with every issue. Everyone in the school read that paper, it would be very easy for anyone to read our article without peer pressure. Then on April 1st they printed a special edition. They had an article that looked exactly like our article titled “For God, Gold and Glory”. One of our gospel contacts came to us and said he thought it was not a good article. I laughed, that was not ours, but clearly it was designed to appear like ours, like fool’s gold. The entire paper had articles mocking and deriding the gospel. During my freshman year the school was strongly atheistic without the slightest thought about the gospel, now four years later it is the focus of the entire school. I remember one case in particular. I had to walk clear across campus to talk to a professor. I looked in my bag and I only had one tract so I began to pray that the Lord would lead me to the right person for this tract. Yet as I passed each person there was no leading. By the time I got to the professor’s office I was disgusted, there was a girl waiting for him so I went up to her, shoved the tract in front of her and said “here, this is for you”. She was quiet and looked at it thoughtfully, then said “that is very appropriate, I just learned I have lung cancer”. The tract was titled “Life at best is very brief, like the falling of a leaf”.
 
16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.

Wickedness burns like fire (Isaiah 9:18). If you do not abide in the vine you are cast into the fire, stubble is burned in the fire, wood, hay and stubble are burned in the fire. James 5:3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. James talks about people who cheated their employees out of their wages. That is an example of wickedness and he says it will burn your flesh like fire. Paul says 1Tim 6:10 Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. These arrows are like griefs. They pierce us. Another example of flaming arrows is Pr 26:18 Like a maniac shooting flaming arrows of death 19 is one who deceives their neighbor and says, “I was only joking!” If the grief is due to our wickedness it is like a flaming arrow, piercing us. Heb 10:26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. We are bombarded by these temptations and without faith it would be impossible to shield yourself from them. 1Pet 1:5 who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. God’s power shields us from all kinds of attacks of the enemy. Deut 33:29 Blessed are you, Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the Lord? He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword. Your enemies will cower before you, and you will tread on their heights.” So then, what does it mean to “take up the shield of faith”, how exactly do you take it up? Ps 18:30 As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God. The Lord’s word is flawless. The word of faith is also a shield of faith. Taking up the word is how you can strengthen your faith, it is how you can trust in the Lord as your shield more and more. James 2:14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. Think of faith as a burning coal that needs to be fanned into flame. Your works are the wood on the fire. Without wood the fire will die. We use fire to keep warm and to cook food, but without the wood on the fire, it will be useless. It can’t save anyone. So what you want is a work that is a work of faith. George Muller is an example, he set up orphanages based on the Lord’s word “seek ye first the kingdom and all these things will be added unto you”. One time the orphanage had run out of food, they would have nothing to feed the kids for dinner. It was a Sunday so even if someone were to give them money they would be unable to buy food. So he called the staff together to pray. After a short time there was a knock at the door, someone had a cart full of food they were going to deliver but the place was closed, the food would spoil if he left it for a day, and so the people in the town told him to bring it to the orphanage. God was George Muller’s shield of faith. That faith was based on God’s word. Ps 18:35 You make your saving help my shield, Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the flaming arrows of the enemy are trying to put doubt into your heart. They are trying to cause you to turn back, they are trying to plant a seed of unbelief. Many of the words in the Bible depend on our faith that what we see was made out of what is not visible. Cain was burned up by jealousy. Our faith in the faithfulness of God who promised will quench the unbelief. Some are burned up by the flaming arrows of the fleeting pleasures of sin.

17 Take the helmet of salvation

We need to protect two things, our mind and our heart. We need to guard our heart and we need to set our mind on the things which are above. There are thoughts that can be very damaging, but they will be kept out if we have the full assurance of our salvation.

and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

We put on the breastplate of righteousness after we first put off the old man. It is a testimony that we wear. We take up the shield of faith, this is the word of God that we have taken by faith and hold in our hands. We take the helmet of salvation, these are the solid promises of God we wear on our head. But the sword is a little different, it is not our sword, it is the sword of the Spirit. It is the word of God, but in the hands of the Spirit these words were a two edged sword that divides soul from spirit. Bobby Orr once said that you should never train with something lighter than a hockey puck. A lot of kids use a tennis ball, their slap shot can fire that tennis ball at 100 mph. But, when they hit the puck it just dribbles off their stick. The word of God is heavy, it is dense, it takes a lot of strength to pick it up and wield it. It is like a sword made of steel.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.

The 1901 American Standard translation says that we take up the sword with all manner of prayer. When the word of God becomes a prayer it is the sword of the Spirit.

With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

Do you want to take up the sword of the spirit with regards to the civil rights movement right now? Be alert, we need prayers for all the Lord’s people.

19 Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel,

we need to pray that those who are at the forefront of the battle would be able to fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel. It amazes me how little people know this mystery. The New Testament says that “there is no Jew nor Greek, no bond or free”. You had to be fearless 2,000 years ago to say that and even today this battle has not finished. Paul said that “there was no male or female”, these were words that caused all those in Asia to forsake him. These are words that only now are coming to pass.

20 for which I am an ambassador in chains.

We need this view. Paul was an ambassador for the Kingdom of the heavens. This age is all about who will be king and who will rule. Paul told us he was sent by Jesus with a message, he was an “apostle” of Jesus. He told us twice that he was a prisoner of the Lord, that is he was in chains. This is what an “ambassador in chains” means.

Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

No one likes correction. We need to declare the word fearlessly. We also need to declare it “as we should”. There is a lot of directions about how we should and should not declare it. Some Christian preachers are teaching that there is nothing that we can do to fix injustice. That is not fearless, nor is it how we should behave. Our covenant includes all the nations being blessed in us.
 
Isaiah 49:6 “It is too small a thing for you to be my servant
to restore the tribes of Jacob
and bring back those of Israel I have kept.
I will also make you a light for the Gentiles,
that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.”

7 This is what the Lord says—
the Redeemer and Holy One of Israel—
to him who was despised and abhorred by the nation,
to the servant of rulers:
“Kings will see you and stand up,
princes will see and bow down,
because of the Lord, who is faithful,
the Holy One of Israel, who has chosen you.”
 
This kind can only come out by fasting and praying.

Fasting -- Boycott

Praying -- Make your voices heard so even heaven can hear