Exercise Beats Depression

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
This might be obvious but not too obvious.

There are lots of links online about this. Here's an excerpt from an article.

James Blumenthal is a neuroscientist at Duke University who specializes in depression. In one of his most famous experiements, published in the Journal of Biobehavioral Medicine, Blumenthal gathered 156 adults who had mild or moderate cases of depression.

The patients were split into three groups.
Group 1 was treated with sertraline, an antidepressant drug.
Group 2 used a combination of exercise and medication. They were prescribed the same dosage of sertraline as Group 1. Additionally, Group 2 exercised three times each week for 45 minutes.
Group 3 used an exercise only treatment. Three times per week, they performed 45 minutes of exercise. This included 10 minutes of warm up, 30 minutes of walking or jogging at a pace that would maintain a heart rate that was 80% to 90% of their maximum, and then 5 minutes of cool down.
Here’s what happened…
Each patient received treatment for 16 weeks (4 months) under the supervision of the researchers and professional staff. At the end of the treatment period, the researchers were surprised to find that all three treatments delivered essentially equal results.
Treating depression with exercise was just as effective as medication, and vice versa. Furthermore, combining the two treatments yielded the same success rate as doing either one individually.
But then the researchers decided to track the long–term progress of each patient and this is where the study gets really interesting…
Exercise and Depression: The Long–Term Impact

After 16 weeks of treatment, there were 83 patients (spread evenly across all three groups) that were declared in remission and free from depression.
The researchers decided to let these patients spend the next six months without receiving any treatment from professionals. The patients were welcome to continue their treatment on their own or to try something new entirely.
When the researchers followed up with the patients six months later, here’s what they found…

• In the medication only group, 38% of patients relapsed into depression.
  • In the exercise and medication group, 31% of patients relapsed into depression.
  • In the exercise only group, only 8% of patients relapsed into depression.

What the researchers surmised from this was that exercising helps to create a positive identity by the achieving of goals.

Another interesting point from the article goes like this,

As the researchers sorted through the data, they discovered that for every 50 minutes of exercise added each week, the rate of depression fell by half. In other words, if you’re not exercising right now, then adding just 1–hour of walking per week will cut your risk of depression by 50%.

So I hope this encourages you to know that depression can be beaten and you can get through this!
Take care of your body, as your mind heals. Eat well, sleep right, drink lots of water, get some Vitamin D and exercise.

Also keep praying and stay close to God. He is our refuge and shelter!
Take care.

Article sourced from :-
Exercise and Depression: The Truth About Natural Depression Remedies

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I know this is true from personal experience! I became very depressed after getting a Rheumatoid Arthritis 15 years ago. I was in terrible pain, had to quit my job teaching, and had disabling deformities.

I finally got on better meds to control the disease, but I was still very down. The Lord inspired me to start stretching and riding an exercise bike- starting at one minute per day. Eventually I got outside and worked my way up to 45 minutes by the end of the summer. I got a trainer and brought my bike inside. The depression was completely gone! It has never come back, I ride year round, it helps strengthen the muscles to stabilize my joints. I also do weights and a full set of stretches daily. In the summer I now ride up to 40 km at a time, and put 2000 km on my bike this summer!

I heartily recommend exercise for everyone. God created our bodies to move and work hard! If I can work out with my deformities, going on 9 years now, anyone can!

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
I know this is true from personal experience! I became very depressed after getting a Rheumatoid Arthritis 15 years ago. I was in terrible pain, had to quit my job teaching, and had disabling deformities.

I finally got on better meds to control the disease, but I was still very down. The Lord inspired me to start stretching and riding an exercise bike- starting at one minute per day. Eventually I got outside and worked my way up to 45 minutes by the end of the summer. I got a trainer and brought my bike inside. The depression was completely gone! It has never come back, I ride year round, it helps strengthen the muscles to stabilize my joints. I also do weights and a full set of stretches daily. In the summer I now ride up to 40 km at a time, and put 2000 km on my bike this summer!

I heartily recommend exercise for everyone. God created our bodies to move and work hard! If I can work out with my deformities, going on 9 years now, anyone can!
Wow thank you so much for sharing that Angela!

It's wonderful that you are so fit!