expanding correction to demanding perfection?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I first want to say before any debate this , that there is nothing wrong in correction, as scripture calls us to do so. :)
But I do wonder somtimes when I read posts that go beyond the definition of correction.
Now Im not one to easly quote scripture, but I have read scriptures that speak as well, about not overcorrecting.
The same scripture speaks to not doing so, because God Our Father will bring His understanding.
I hope in this post to address the balance of correction and encouragement.
I do recall alot more scriptures about encourageing our brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ .

The intent of this post is to bring in scripture a good understanding in what we in Jesus are called to.
Because more often one sees only correction, and too little encouragment.:)
Not faulting anyone here, :) Just seeking to do what we are called to in Jesus.

As too often one sees so much correction that one wonders how any can meet such calls to perfection, as the perfect is Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh, and His perfection is what we cannot gain on our own, but He brings in us.

So I thought it might be a good study to share scriptures to both correction and encouragement equally.
So that we all might serve better in witness, in Jesus.

So please share the scriptures you know on these subjects. :)

In Jesus, God bless
pickles

C

Consumed

Col 3:12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
Col 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
Col 3:14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
Col 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.
Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

:)

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
Mattew 5:43-48
You have heard it said. You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemies.
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who despitefully use you
that ye my be sons of your Father in heaven. for He makes His sun rise on the evil and the good,and sends rain
on the just and unjust
For if you love only those who love you , what reward is there?
Therefore you shall be perfect just as your Father is in heaven is perfect

Seems like these scriptures call perfection (love)

C

Crossfire

I first want to say before any debate this , that there is nothing wrong in correction, as scripture calls us to do so. :)
But I do wonder somtimes when I read posts that go beyond the definition of correction.
Now Im not one to easly quote scripture, but I have read scriptures that speak as well, about not overcorrecting.
The same scripture speaks to not doing so, because God Our Father will bring His understanding.
I do recall alot more scriptures about encourageing our brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ .

The intent of this post is to bring in scripture a good understanding in what we in Jesus are called to.

As too often one sees so much correction that one wonders how any can meet such calls to perfection, as the perfect is Jesus Christ is Lord come in the flesh, and His perfection is what we cannot gain on our own, but He brings in us.

So I thought it might be a good study to share scriptures to both correction and encouragement equally.

In Jesus, God bless
pickles

I think where most people mess up is that God does not call man into 'perfect obedience' per say because God knows that man can do nothing eternal in and of themselves. However, God does call us into 'perfect relationship' thus allowing the love of God to manifest in and through us, changing us from the inside out, thus obedience becomes a manifestation of the love of God in us (ie. a manifestation of the Holy Spirit which is the divine nature living inside of believers) making it possible for mankind to obey through the empowerment of God's love (Spirit).

In essence, obedience without love (Holy Spirit / Divine nature) is not only legalism, it's also impossible.

C

Crossfire

Mattew 5:43-48
You have heard it said. You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemies.
But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who despitefully use you
that ye my be sons of your Father in heaven. for He makes His sun rise on the evil and the good,and sends rain
on the just and unjust
For if you love only those who love you , what reward is there?
Therefore you shall be perfect just as your Father is in heaven is perfect

Seems like these scriptures call perfection (love)
Amen sis! You hit the nail on the head!

A

AnandaHya

In Jesus, God bless
pickles
Pickles your words remind me of these scriptures. I have to put dinner on the table so haven't had a chance to read the other post, sorry if I repeat. :)

thanks for your post and your words of encouragement.

2 Corinthians 2
5 But if anyone has caused grief, he has not grieved me, but all of you to some extent—not to be too severe. 6 This punishment which was inflicted by the majority is sufficient for such a man, 7 so that, on the contrary, you ought rather to forgive and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one be swallowed up with too much sorrow. 8 Therefore I urge you to reaffirm your love to him. 9 For to this end I also wrote, that I might put you to the test, whether you are obedient in all things. 10 Now whom you forgive anything, I also forgive. For if indeed I have forgiven anything, I have forgiven that one[a] for your sakes in the presence of Christ, 11 lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Wow! All of you, thankyou for sharing so many encouraging scriptures.
I was feeling bad as today I had not yet had time to search for the scriptures I hoped to share, you have encouraged me so much, thankyou.
Im now hopefull for tomorrow, instead of feeling lacking today.
And I agree, the perfect is trully the love of Jesus Christ!
Thankyou Lord Jesus!!!

God bless
pickles

L

Laodicea

Psalms 89:14
(14) Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face.

Notice that God's throne has both justice and mercy

K

KiwiCA

I think the character and personality of the person and how well you know them should dictate how much or little rebuking and encouragement they get. I know a lot of people in here need a lot of both to be frank. Getting rebuked by a stranger on the net wouldn't change my beliefs no matter how wrong they are because I don't know them and if I don't know them I won't respect them and even encouragement in the cyber world is short lived and fleeting.

My best advice is, be willing to have at least one person physically in your life who you respect as a brother or sister in Christ (preferably a mature Christian) and are prepared to listen to should they rebuke you.

A wise son heeds his father’s instruction,
But a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Prov 13:1
The simple believes every word,
But the prudent considers well his steps. 13:15
Poverty and shame will come to him who disdains correction,
But he who regards a rebuke will be honored. 13:18
A soft answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger. 15:1

What I get from these verses
- Rebuking should come from someone close to you whom you trust, preferably a godly father or role model. If a person scoffs genuine and loving discipline then they set themselves up to be later disciplined by govt authorities ie police/judicial system (which is much worse, more painful with more consequences)
- On receiving discipline, correction, teaching, rebuking, shutup and accept it humbly.
- Find out the WHOLE story from both sides before praying on a verdict of discipline etc.
- Accepting correction brings wisdom on your part and more respect to you from others.
- Ask God what words and kind of tone is appropriate for the person thats going to be rebuked. Some people need quiet, calm rebuking. Some need some serious fear of Gods wrath put into them, and though sharp words will hurt, if they are within Gods will then so be it.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Psalms 89:14
(14) Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face.

Notice that God's throne has both justice and mercy
Amen,both are and this is the hope of this thread.
For when we are called to correct, may we also encourage.
One scripture I love is...
God's anger is but for a momment, but His mercy endures for ever!

God bless
pickles

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
If anything has been impressed on me in the scriptures.
It is that yes, we need correction for growth, but God's Love is our sustanence!

I have always liked another scipture,
Some are called to understanding, making a differance
others pulling from the fire, despising the flesh that clings.

One can conclude that wether correction or encouragement, both must be served in the love of Jesus!

God bless
pickles