Faith and Politics in Canada - The Abortion Debate

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 10, 2019
Canada
According to a poll done a few years back by Angus Reid something like 80% of respondents were not aware of the fact that there are no laws whatsoever concerning abortion in Canada. What that means is that, in this country, an abortion can legally take place for any reason right up until birth. A fetus/baby does not have any recognition in law until it has fully emerged from the birth canal alive.

Prior to 2015 when Canada's governing party was the Conservatives, led by an Evangelical Christian (Missionary Alliance Church) two motions were drafted with one being put before our parliament (very much like the US Congress) that sought to open up the abortion debate. Both motions were brought forward by Conservative members of parliament.

The first motion called on Canada's parliament to establish a committee tasked with studying the point at which a fetus becomes a human being. It came to a vote and it was allowed to be a free vote for the ruling majority Conservatives. A "free" vote meant that party members were not whipped, a 'whipped vote' means that members are expected and pressured to vote a certain way. Because it was not a confidence vote (there was not spending attached to the motion) a defeat of the motion would not have triggered an election. The motion was defeated as even Prime Minister Harper voted against it.

The second motion called on parliament to condemn the practice of using abortion to terminate pregnancies where the fetus was female. The motion was the result of a study conducted by the Canadian Medical Association that found that male/female babies in certain ethnic communities skewed abnormally towards males, especially when the first child was already a girl. The inference was that certain communities with a historical preference to male children were using abortion to ensure that, when the first child was already a girl, that the second would be a boy.

Personally I thought this second motion was brilliant. It asked Canada's parliament to: "condemn discrimination against females occurring through sex selective pregnancy termination". How could a feminist not support this? Or is killing a fetus merely because its not male acceptable? I was looking forward to the vote, but then the Harper government refused to introduce it to parliament.

I'll have more to say on this issue and welcome any thoughts, comments or questions. I know there are a lot of Americans here who may not fully understand Canada's political system, so don't worry about asking....I studied political science and while there's still lots I don't know, I have what I consider to be a better than average grasp on how government works in this country.

Blessings.

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
Continuing my thoughts from earlier this morning.....

So Canada joins only 3 other countries in the world in having no regulations whatsoever with regard to abortion. The other 3 are China, North Korea and Vietnam....all communist. How did we get here? I think part of the blame lies with extremists on the Pro-Life side.

There are those in the Pro Life camp who would outlaw abortion even for a 12 year old violated by a family member. While there is consistency in this view, a life is a life after all....in a pluralistic society many see this as going to far. And the Pro Abortion camp has done a very effective job in Canada of convincing people that if you give the Pro Life camp even the smallest concession, that they would use it as a wedge to continue chipping away until even a woman who will die if she carries a pregnancy to term would be denied access.