Faith or Reason?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Faith or Reason?

• All that I believe I accept by faith alone, even if "reason" is contradicted

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • I accept faith statements, but not if they contradict reason

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I accept only reasonable statements, not faith statements.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

rainacorn

Have faith for a reason.

Mar 2, 2010
Care to explain what you mean by that? I could easily interpret it to mean you voted for #2, but I want to be sure that is what you meant.

cronjecj

Banned [Reason: ongoing "extreme error/heresy" Den
Sep 25, 2011
It is reasonable to believe God is good when you are happy but it is by faith alone to believe that God is Good too in uneasy moments.

Blessed are those who believe and have not seen or without cause or reason what so ever.

:cool:

R

rainacorn

Care to explain what you mean by that? I could easily interpret it to mean you voted for #2, but I want to be sure that is what you meant.
Oh, I posted that before there was a poll. The question was super duper short, so I thought of the shortest possible answer lol

I'll go with the Blaise Pascal quote- "Faith indeed tells what the senses do not tell, but not the contrary of what they see. It is above them and not contrary to them."

Nothing true can contradict truth, so if we have a problem finding the balance, the problem is with us.

C

Crossfire

Considering most of us accepted Christ in our hearts long before we ever really had a decent understanding of Christianity, I would would have to say that we are saved in faith alone.

I personally believe that a person can be completely saved without ever being made aware of such doctrines as Calvinism or Arminianism, Cessationism or Continuationism, the differences in eschotology, etc.

What's important is that they believe on Christ alone for salvation and have a decent grasp of and love for His word.

J

jimmydiggs

God's rationality is the rational basis for human faith which is the rational basis for human reasoning.

The laws of logic are part of God's nature. (see: transcendental argument over nature of laws of logic)

EDIT:proper human reasoning will not conflict with the truth of God.

J

jimmydiggs

Considering most of us accepted Christ in our hearts long before we ever really had a decent understanding of Christianity, I would would have to say that we are saved in faith alone.

I personally believe that a person can be completely saved without ever being made aware of such doctrines as Calvinism or Arminianism, Cessationism or Continuationism, the differences in eschotology, etc.

What's important is that they believe on Christ alone for salvation and have a decent grasp of and love for His word.
The question was: "What is the ideal relationship between faith and reason? "

Feb 16, 2011
Belief in God is how the Bible is reasonable. God explains creation, the flood, walking on water, healing, the tribulation and everything in the Bible. With faith in God it is easy to have good reasoning with the Bible. God makes it all possible.

C

Crossfire

Proper human reasoning will not conflict with the truth of God.
Actually I have found the opposite to be true. Human reasoning will always conflict with God's truth seeing as human reasoning is almost always selfish in nature while God's truth is always selfless in nature. That is why is why it is why it is important that human reasoning be conformed to God's truth. This why possessing a solid biblical concept of grace is so important.

Here's an important question that every believer needs to ask him or her self:

Did Jesus die on the cross so that you can be saved?

or

Did Jesus die on the cross so that others might be saved through you?

Most modern believers have a selfish perception of salvation. Most have no desire to minister to others. Most never pay tithes. Most pursue selfish doctrines such as cheap grace, prosperity, hyper spiritualism or anti spiritualism. Most feel a need to exalt their own ideas or doctrines or when those ideas or doctrines are rejected by others them feel that they must vindicated. All of which are key indicators of a mind in need of spiritual renewal.

God's nature is completely selfless in nature. Look no further that the biblical concept of Grace for proof of this. However, if the grace of God is truly at work in our lives then it stand to reason that as we experience grace and all of it's selfless attributes, we would also begin to conform to those attributes thus we would also begin to express those attributes in our dealings with others.

I'll be the first to admit that I have not always viewed things this way. While I have had a partial revelation of the selflessness of God for a while now, the Lord has been dealing with me a lot lately concerning how grace changes a heart that has been truly renewed.

Last edited:
C

Crossfire

The question was: "What is the ideal relationship between faith and reason? "

To answer this question:

Human reason should always be in a state of constant surrender to faith.

J

jimmydiggs

To answer this question:

Human reason should always be in a state of constant surrender to faith.
The two won't contradict if it is properly conducted. ;)

Lesser truths if true, will conform to greater truths. ;)

C

Crossfire

The two won't contradict if it is properly conducted. ;)

Lesser truths if true, will conform to greater truths. ;)
I do agree. However, pride in those truths prove that they were never true. ;)

E

eternally-gratefull

Faith is the substance of things HOPED for, the evidense of things NOT SEEN.
Reasoning can be seen. Faith and reasoning are separate.

Human reasoning denies God. As Scripture states. the things of God are FOOLISHNESS to those who are not his,

if we are looking to reason to find God. we will not find him, they are foolishness to us, Only through the work of the HS can we understand the things of God.

J

jimmydiggs

I do agree. However, pride in those truths prove that they were never true. ;)
You'll have to explain, because I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

K

kayem77

God is an intelligent God, He created the laws of logic and ''reason''. If we don't think somethings reasonable about our faith, most probably we cant understand it or we are just wrong.

C

Crossfire

Faith is the substance of things HOPED for, the evidense of things NOT SEEN.
Reasoning can be seen. Faith and reasoning are separate.

Human reasoning denies God. As Scripture states. the things of God are FOOLISHNESS to those who are not his,

if we are looking to reason to find God. we will not find him, they are foolishness to us, Only through the work of the HS can we understand the things of God.

Good word!

The human mind can't even begin to fathom the goodness of God.

C

Crossfire

You'll have to explain, because I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

Any doctrine which a person can find / take much pride in, then there is a serious flaw in that doctrine. Pride is a selfish act, the opposite of meekness, meekness being an attribute of Divine grace.

The more I learn about God and his Divine attributes, the more I am in awe of who and what He is. I fear him because I can not fully understand Him and His goodness, yet He continues to draw me closer with His inifinte love and mercy for me... What kind of God is He? We may never truly begin to comprehend even when we find ourselves on the other side of eternity.

Last edited:
L

Laodicea

Faith is based on evidence it is not a blind faith
Hebrews 11:1
(1) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.