Faltering Faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DbDShowbread42

Hi all. I've been very lazy about my faith for most of my life. About a month ago, a speaker that I heard inspired me to do more with my faith, and to really start a relationship with God. So, I started reading the Bible nearly every day, I spoke with God more, and I actively tried to live my life according to what I said I believed. The problem is, I feel like I've gotten nowhere. And more disturbing still, I'm having more doubts about my faith than I've ever had. I've found that the more research I do on the Bible, the more I encounter arguments against Christianity, God, the resurrection of Jesus, the accuracy of the Bible, etc. Arguments from both sides certainly hold some weight, and it just results in confusion. I understand that I've only been putting forth any real effort for only about a month, but it's just disheartening the way things have gone. I've asked God to take over my life, to strengthen my faith, to help me discern his will, and to help me love others, but doubts remain. I'd like to believe in a God who has blessed me and has an immense presence in my life. I feel guilty for having so many doubts, but I can't pretend I don't have them.

Many Christians come to faith in their darkest moments. I've read testimony after testimony about totally broken people who experience this radical event where God intervenes and makes Himself clearly known to them. I beg God to let me know what they know, see what they see, and feel what they feel. Even if God has to strip away everything I care about, if it brings me to Him, it'll be worth it. I desperately want God to reveal himself to me. I guess I'd just like some prayers, and maybe a few words of advice or encouragement. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and/or respond.

P.S. I posted this on the Singles Forum because I hoped maybe more people would read it, not to mention the fact that I'm definitely WAY single, haha!

N

Nancyer

First, let me start by saying I know how you feel. I too have prayed God would reveal Himself to me and allow me to FEEL Him.

That being said, I wouldn't be so apt to "research" the Bible as much as I would spend time reading it and praying over it. I personally don't have a problem with which translation (NIV, King James, The Message), as long as you feel you understand it and actually will read it.

Second, how exactly are you researching the Bible? Are you looking for which religion to follow? Or are you studying the Bible with the desire to understand it, learn from it, know God through it? Remember we have free will, there are so many different religions and denominations out there because God made us all unique, different and gave us free will. Without our doubts faith would be unnecessary. Are you asking for proof? I did that before I came to Christ, begged for proof and when I didn't get it (i.e. my wish wasn't granted) I figured it was all hogwash. That God either didn't exist or got a kick out of seeing me suffer or didn't care.

What helped me a great deal in the beginning was the book How To Hear From God by Joyce Meyer. She's wonderful, btw. Very down to earth, no sugar coating, let's you know how she got to where she is in her journey with God, no pretenses. I think her books would be a good place to start in your study of God's Word. (Power Thoughts is another good one of her's)

I hope this helps you in your walk. Please don't give up, don't get discouraged. If this were easy it wouldn't mean anything and faith means patience. God's timing is perfect, not ours. Be willing to wait on God's timing and trust Him to know when to do what in your life.

U

Ugly

Did you ever stop to think that God is answering your prayers and thats why you feel the way you do? God doesn't usually just magically grant us growth because we ask for it. If we want growth, He puts us in situations that push us, test us, and hopefully grow us in the end.
And just like any relationship, you don't expect it to just form, grow and happen, but you're aware if you meet someone and like them and want to get to know them more, you have to take time, make effort. It doesn't just happen. So why should it be any different with God?
Faith is really about trusting in God regardless of how we feel. Knowing He's there even when we don't feel Him.