Fasting on water. Anyone aware of the protocol? And are there physical benefits?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Does anyone here have knowledge about this?

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Does anyone here have knowledge about this?
well you cannot fast on water alone, your body requires many minerals and vitamins even carbs and fats to be able to survive and be healthy. Water alone cannot do this and you will become sickly from doing it for a long period of time, are you wanting to fast for a specific purpose?

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
I want to fast for spiritual reasons.

W

WarriorForChrist

well you cannot fast on water alone, your body requires many minerals and vitamins even carbs and fats to be able to survive and be healthy. Water alone cannot do this and you will become sickly from doing it for a long period of time, are you wanting to fast for a specific purpose?
God will give him everything he needs when he fasts in the spirit.

D

dalconn

If you're healthy you can go without food for days or a week at a time. Fasting is so under rated but should be a big part of our walk (yes, I'm guilty)

Father, help us understand the spiritual significance and power we achieve in prayer when we fast...amen

Isaiah 58:6
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
God will give him everything he needs when he fasts in the spirit.

Yeah, death from drinking too much water for a long period of time. To the OP, if you want to do a liquid fast, at least do one with protein, such as an Ensure nutrition shake, or even Gatorade for the electrolytes. Drinking excessive water depletes your body of it's natural electrolytes.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
I am on my 4th and last day of doing only a water fast. Nothing else. I have not ingested either Gatorade or Ensure, nor would I ever drink Gatorade or Ensure due to the poisonous chemicals in both of them. In fact if I had done that, then it is not really a fast. A fast must deny the flesh to allow the spirit to become more prominent. And in the past, I have gone weeks without ingesting solid food, so obviously one can go more then a week without food. And I was not ingesting blended foods either, which is just essentially pulverizing the food. I did juice veggies though, which is extracting the pulp leaving nothing but the pure juice. As far going without water for more then a few days or 4 days, before serious medical issues, or even death, people have done dry fasts more days then that without either serious medical issues, or dying. And while I presently would not attempt it, not for more then 2 days , at this time anyway, and I would strongly suggest no one here does it, your body can go into kidney failure if you don't know what signs to look for, there are people who have dry fasted (no water or food) for over 4 days, even up to 12. Remember your skin can absorb moisture from the air. See the link below.
While I am not questioning anyone's intentions, as I believe the motivations from you all here to guide me are pure, obviously there is some misinformation being given. As fasting is something that is integral to the Christian life, with all the misinformation here, it makes my wonder if there is also not if, but how much, misinformation in other threads is being given regarding the word.

LINK to dry fast thread.
http://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=2104509

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Joseph your right fasting is a very important part of our walk but the kind of fasting varies with different ppl, obviously with my health issues and diabetes I cannot do a water fast nor any kind of fast that would have to with food and drinks but I fast in a different way, instead of using my time to watch t.v. play video games or do other worldly activities it gives me great pleasure to instead spend that time with God any way I can.

But also the motive and reason behind fasting is just as important as doing the fast correctly, one can fast because it's in the bible or because God says to we can fast to receive an answer from God but no matter what kind of fast it is becoming closer to God is the only real reason I can think of to fast at all

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Hi Blain,

Definitely. I was referring to healthy individuals. People on meds, elderly people, people who are sick, should not fast, pregnant woman, of course, shouldn't, under 16 or so probably shouldn't. Or in some cases, do so only under the guidance of a professional.
One can fast for spiritual or physical reasons, or both. I am fasting for spiritual, although there is a physical benefit.

God says my people perish because of lack of knowledge, and that the life is in the blood. I have seen way to many Christians struck down before there time, or living a quality of life that is below the standard of what He has for them, because of lifestyles that are not consistent with what God would have from us. We are forfeiting our time and service to Him by living these lifestyles. Our bodies are our temple, we have the holy spirit in us. We are supposed to be a set apart people, yet in divorce (and I have been, regrettably so, divorced myself, so I am guilty of this) and disease, we are not much different from the world.
I am not pointing you out Blain, especially if you have type 1 diabetes. So please understand I am not being critical here of you. We are all going to die, no matter what our lifestyle. But the devil, with a lot of help from our flesh, has surely instituted
system here in this country regarding food and medicine that has surely compromised us Christians. A better lifestyle would not only lengthen our lives, but it would improve the quality of them. The kicker is, that, probably most importantly, a lifestyle with less processed foods and chemicals in our bodies would remove some of that clutter and noise in our minds, and allow to focus better on God, and the spirit. Fasting helps in that regard.

For those that can't fast, I would say just try their best to clean up there lifestyles as much as possible. It is not easy, but ask God for help. He will, He always does.

Last edited:

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
your right Joseph fasting does have physical benefits, Daniel and his friends were very determined to keep their fasting eating style even when the king demanded that they eat from his table which had lots of good meat and foods. If I recall Daniel and them fasted with vegetables and water only and they made a deal with the king they purposed to give one week of them eating their way and the others eating from the kings table and at the end of the week compare the two groups.
Daniel and h9is friends were more lively and more energetic than those who ate from the kings table they had a sense of glowing about them.

So yes fasting has great physical benefits but the core of fasting should always be about God

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Fruits also, on the D. fast.
A vegan diet, but even more limited then the way most vegans eat today.
I am guessing they probably did it all raw too.
The quality of water, soil, and air were probably better back then also, not to mention less stress in every day life.

Last edited:

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Fruits also, on the D. fast.
A vegan diet, but even more limited then the way most vegans eat today.
I am guessing they probably did it all raw too.
The quality of water, soil, and air were probably better back then also, not to mention less stress in every day life.
I always enjoy talking with you:)

O

oldthennew

hubby and I have done many kinds of fasts, always initiated by wanting to come closer to our Father....
this is the KEY...wanting to draw nearer to God....

I have discovered that hubby can LAST a LOT longer than me....:rolleyes:...for he is a very viral male and
very strong in body and Spirit....I so desire to be like him....working on it with all of my heart....for I
have never met a more righteous, loving, unselfish, Godly person.....

O

oldthennew

thank you, Blue and WFC,

you both have to have a good understanding of the Father and a good understanding of
where I am coming from....:)

TY and God Bless......

PhnxPr2416

Feb 11, 2015
your right Joseph fasting does have physical benefits, Daniel and his friends were very determined to keep their fasting eating style even when the king demanded that they eat from his table which had lots of good meat and foods. If I recall Daniel and them fasted with vegetables and water only and they made a deal with the king they purposed to give one week of them eating their way and the others eating from the kings table and at the end of the week compare the two groups.
Daniel and h9is friends were more lively and more energetic than those who ate from the kings table they had a sense of glowing about them.

So yes fasting has great physical benefits but the core of fasting should always be about God
Do you happen to know where that was, in the Bible? I've been looking for that for years!(I think. It has been a long time.)

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Do you happen to know where that was, in the Bible? I've been looking for that for years!(I think. It has been a long time.)
It was in the book of Daniel

Crustyone

Mar 15, 2015
It's in the first chapter of Daniel.