Fasting

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ancilla

I'm just wondering how many of you fast on a regular basis. I don't (I mean not regularily), and I don't know any Christians that do because it's not something your supposed to tell people. But it does kind of bother me that it's something that is not brought up very often. Or if it is it's like some ancient tradition that they've recently discovered. Or someone will give up coffee for Lent and call that fasting. I think what I'm getting at is that it's my perception that fasting is not something that is at the forefront of Christian normality, at least in my culture. What do you guys think???

Jan 8, 2009
I don't fast intentionally. Makes me dizzy and stomach hurts and feel sick.

B

Baptistrw

I fasted for 6 days once in the hospital, it wasn't voluntary.

S

suaso

I typically don't fast outside of Lent, but it isn't anything hardcore even then. Just abstain from meat on fridays during Lent, and on Good Friday, eat only one meatless meal.

Well...being a typical pudgy American...I don't think it'll kill me! lol. I know some students who are a little more into fasting. They typically 'fast' from things like the internet, facebook, Circle K slushies (one is right across the street...too perfect...). It's up to them I guess. I guess we here have so much that it doesnt kill us to do without to better set our minds on Chirst. I know a guy who fasted from chocolate for a while, and after a month, simply never wanted it again. I wish! LOL. Chocolate will be the death of me!

Jan 8, 2009
I'd really be surprised if studies showed that Americans are the most frequent fasters in the world.
Or Australians too for that matter.

S

suaso

I think such a revelation would cause a rip in the time space continuum somehow. The earth would probably implode. We're so fat, I bet the continent is sinking under our weight.

P

Porphyrios

In the Byzantine christian tradition, we have four fasts throughout the year. The Nativity Fast, the Great Fast, the Apostles Fast, and the Dormition Fast. Nativity fast lasts from Nov. 15th to December 25th, Great Fast begins on Forgiveness Sunday and lasts until Pascha (7 weeks) but begins with two weeks of working ones way into the fast (Meatfare week and Cheesefare week). Apostles Fast is a four day period leading up to the Feast of St. Peter and Paul and the Dormition fast is two weeks leading up to the Dormition(falling asleep) of the Mother of God. During our fast periods, we are encouraged not to eat Meat, Fish, or dairy products during the week days. Depending on the church, it might be customary to allow fish on weekends, or dairy. Olive Oils should only be consumed on weekends or tuesdays and thursdays, and likewise goes with alcocholic beaverages. Unlike in the Roman Catholic tradition though, there is 0 penelty if one doesn't do the fast. Its strongly encouraged to do it,but there is no binding force to do it except for out of a desire to grow closer to God through sacrifice.

Jan 8, 2009
I think such a revelation would cause a rip in the time space continuum somehow. The earth would probably implode. We're so fat, I bet the continent is sinking under our weight.

ahh yes. Coupled with the rise in the oceans due to global warming, once the Americans are in the water, according to the old Archimedes principle the rise in sea levels will be even higher than expected.

W

whoami

Interesting topic. Fasting is so very important. It obviously shows you're willing to risk your health to get closer to God. Also, it shows that you're willing to give up the things that you want and focus on what God wants. We all love to eat, don't we? God rewards that. You shouldn't tell people about it, because you don't want to do it just to be seen, God sees in secret and he rewards openly. I recommend everyone fast. Do it for the right reason. My reasons would be to get closer to God and to show Him you're serious about your relationship with Him. God Bless You All!!

A

Ancilla

Interesting topic. Fasting is so very important. It obviously shows you're willing to risk your health to get closer to God. Also, it shows that you're willing to give up the things that you want and focus on what God wants. We all love to eat, don't we? God rewards that. You shouldn't tell people about it, because you don't want to do it just to be seen, God sees in secret and he rewards openly. I recommend everyone fast. Do it for the right reason. My reasons would be to get closer to God and to show Him you're serious about your relationship with Him. God Bless You All!!
I don't think that it's necessarily bad for your health. I mean it all depends on how long you do it, of course. The information on the 24 Hour Famine says that such a fast can have health benefits provided that you drink fruit juice and end it with a light meal. I remember when I did the 24 Hour Famine with my youth group when I was a kid and we ended it with a half a dinner roll and a bit of barley soup. It wasn't really enough to be considered a meal by regular standards, but it was soooo nice. But I suppose if you fast for longer than 24 hours, or don't drink juice then it's bad for your health.

You're so right about what you're wiling to give up to focus on God. I mean, I think there's a lot we have that we claim does not play too much of a role in life and that giving it up would be no big deal, but until we're actually put to the test we don't really know that. Like, if I were asked to give up all of my worldly posessions, I'm sure it would be a lot harder than I anticipate.

See, I read that the idea behind fasting is that when you feel hunger you remember how much you need to rely on God.

I'm so spoiled. I've never known what it's like to go without food. I mean, I've skipped meals before, but I've never known what it's like to not know where my next meal would come from. That would be scary in a way that I can't imagine. I mean, how many times have I said "I'm starving, I'm going to die!" when I have to wait for a meal. That's just silly.

B

BIWF

Your right, I wholeheartedly believe in it and Jesus said some Demons cannot be cast out without prayer and fasting. I know a guy that fasted 12 times for 40 days a piece and also one man that fasted for over eighty days just water, but we are not your ordinary Christians we are members of BIWF www.biwf-usa.com

L

lifetime

I have denied myself for periods of time at times when I needed better self-discipline and I needed to learn how to better recognize and resist temptation. Basically what I was doing was disciplining myself, sort of like how a parent would discipline a child by taking away privileges or treats but I was doing it to myself. The most significant times this happened were when I was going through a major readjustment of my life in which I found the Lord's place in my life any my relationship with Him. I would say that these exercises had a significant role in that process and the processes of repentance and redemption. It also helps a person to be more understanding of what it's like to do without because you've done it.

Jan 31, 2009
I'm just wondering how many of you fast on a regular basis. I don't (I mean not regularily), and I don't know any Christians that do because it's not something your supposed to tell people. But it does kind of bother me that it's something that is not brought up very often. Or if it is it's like some ancient tradition that they've recently discovered. Or someone will give up coffee for Lent and call that fasting. I think what I'm getting at is that it's my perception that fasting is not something that is at the forefront of Christian normality, at least in my culture. What do you guys think???
Well I do not fast on a regular basis, but have fasted when I am needing some wisdom on scriptures or when I want God To know That I am serious about a prayer for someone sick or something, But I can tell you to stay close to the Bible (the spiritual bread) while fasting . But I do struggle with the doctrine of fasting for todays Church. I know Jesus says that powers like casting out devils come through fasting and prayer. But that is before the Holy Ghost could come and dwell with us. When Jesus got ready to leave he said;
Joh 16:5But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?Joh 16:6But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.Joh 16:7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.Joh 16:8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:Joh 16:9Of sin, because they believe not on me;Joh 16:10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;Joh 16:11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.Joh 16:12I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.Joh 16:13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.Joh 16:14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you.Joh 16:15All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show it unto you.

Ro 15:13Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the POWER OF THE HOLY Ghost.

so as any other time My advice is if youfeel that God is telling you to fast Then Fast!!

A

Ancilla

Well I do not fast on a regular basis, but have fasted when I am needing some wisdom on scriptures or when I want God To know That I am serious about a prayer for someone sick or something, But I can tell you to stay close to the Bible (the spiritual bread) while fasting . But I do struggle with the doctrine of fasting for todays Church. I know Jesus says that powers like casting out devils come through fasting and prayer. But that is before the Holy Ghost could come and dwell with us. When Jesus got ready to leave he said;
Joh 16:5But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?Joh 16:6But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart.Joh 16:7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.Joh 16:8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:Joh 16:9Of sin, because they believe not on me;Joh 16:10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;Joh 16:11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.Joh 16:12I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.Joh 16:13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.Joh 16:14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you.Joh 16:15All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show it unto you.

Ro 15:13Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the POWER OF THE HOLY Ghost.

so as any other time My advice is if youfeel that God is telling you to fast Then Fast!!
Interesting.... so are you saying that because we now have the Holy Spirit that we don't have as much of a need to fast as we once did? I've never thought of that.

You know, when I was at the Urbana missions conference in 2003 we had a fast from lunch where instead of eating we'd pray for those in need. Well, at the time, when I got too hungry I got really tired* and I worried that I'd fall asleep during the prayers so I had a really, really big plate of scrambled eggs for breakfast (they had a breakfast buffet, which I think it one of the greatest things known to man) which was overdoing it a little because I was hardly hungry during the fast.

*Now, not only do I get tired, but my head starts to pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.