Fate

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

twinsister

If our fate is already written should I worry or should I let destiny take its fate? I mean I can't change it right?

H

Hearer

If our fate is already written should I worry or should I let destiny take its fate? I mean I can't change it right?
the work set for us to do is only possible if we continue to live in Jesus.

May 21, 2009
The bible says not to worry. You get close God and do what your were born to do for him.

Dec 19, 2009
I don’t believe in predestination. Life is eternal for anyone who accepts Jesus as their Savior:

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 RSV

Jan 18, 2011
Yes and no. From God's all-knowing all-seeing perspective the book may in a sense already have been written, but from our human perspective we are perfectly capable of making choices and changing the world around us, and we should live our lives accordingly. It may seem like a contradiction, but in fact it's only a paradox -- it seems contradictory only because of our limited human understanding.

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;

8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. 9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9)

33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! (Romans 11:33)

Jan 18, 2011
I don’t believe in predestination.
Same thing as saying I don't believe in the Bible, since predestination is quite explicitly a part of it.

29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. (Romans 8:29)

30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. (Romans 8:30)

5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, (Ephesians 1:5)

11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, (Ephesians 1:11)

L

Laodicea

Same thing as saying I don't believe in the Bible, since predestination is quite explicitly a part of it.

29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. (Romans 8:29)

30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. (Romans 8:30)

5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, (Ephesians 1:5)

11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, (Ephesians 1:11)
Acts 4:28
(28) For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.

The phrase determined before is the same as predestined, meaning He has determined before the way of salvation but it is up to us to choose.

1 Corinthians 2:7
(7) But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
2 Peter 1:3-4
(3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
(4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
Joshua 24:15
(15) And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Apr 13, 2011
You have free will. Take control of your life and do something for God.

D

DiscipleWilliam

Our fate is already "written" in the sense that God already knows what will become of us and every single action that we commit, and in a way has determined it from the foundation of the world. This however, does not negate our ability to make choices that will ultimately influence our own destiny. Since our dimension of time is linear (i.e., it cannot be stopped nor reversed) everything that we engage in, or every moment of time spent affects our destiny, even if we do not do anything at all. Our linear time dimension also dramatically affects our fate/destiny because time moves fast enough to: age us, and limit our life-spans -while also providing adequate time for us to develop meaningful relationships with others. You cannot change your destiny/fate, you can only determine it. To have the capacity to change your destiny/fate you must posess the capacity to transcend yourself, or have access to multiple time dimensions with no guarantee that even this would change anything. Fate/destiny is something that 3 dimensional beings grapple with in particular because our understanding of fate is viewed through 4-dimensional glasses and is juvenile compared to hyper-dimensional beings.

Jan 18, 2011
Acts 4:28
(28) For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.

The phrase determined before is the same as predestined, meaning He has determined before the way of salvation but it is up to us to choose.

(15) And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Note what the choice here is: either "the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell." The choice to serve the one true God isn't mentioned. He then goes on to declare that he and his house will serve the Lord, but he never said it was a choice. To assume so would be begging the question.