Favorite Bible Passage

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zeejaywild

Well, there are many wonderful passages in the bible, but my favorite is, "For GOD so love the world that he gave is only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

I feel that is one of the best passages in the bible, because it demonstrates 'GOD' endless and surmountable for all mankind.
Come to think of it, if it were a human to do the same thing they would find it difficult, because who would so easily give up there first child to be sacrifice, so that others may have life. Not many would even contemplate doing so, truthfully and i know alot of persons could attest to this.
:rolleyes:

N

NewJerusalem

This has become the most popular verse in the Bible today and possibly one of the most misinterpreted and most taken out of Scriptural context passages in the Bible today as well.

Let me explain..

1 John 2:15.."Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

Why would God tell us in the Word "NOT" to love the world, if He loves the world? This is no contradiction but helps to also understand the context of John 3:16.. This should cause us to search the Scriptures and find deeper understanding.

John 3:16." For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

One key is found in the fourth word of the passage. For God so "LOVED" the world. Note it does not say For God so "LOVES" the world. Why would it say this in the past tense and not present?

Next key will be found in the original Greek text and meaning of the word "world" which is "KOSMOS" and ultimately means; GOD'S ORDERLY ARRANGEMENT.

"For God so "LOVED" His orderly arrangement the HE gave His only begotten Son...."

This passage is not simply saying that God just loves everyone, when elsewhere in Scripture we actually find God hating some. I am not condoning hate and believe we are to have compassion on all, showing the love of Jesus Christ. Just encouraging all, (including myself) to seek the context of the Word. There truly is much more than meets the eye and that is popularly taught, especially today, in this hour we live in.

Be blessed beloved as we search to see if such things are so. :)

Z

zeejaywild

What you are saying is indeed a mystery to others understanding and is of truth in so many ways.
How can one love something and be promoting hate against it at the sametime, it would puzzle ones mind, would it not?

So, in the great circle of things, 'GOD' doesn't demote loving the world, but the wrong things you might find while you are living on it.

Dec 19, 2009
That passage (John 3:16) is also my favorite, I think. I also like this one:

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matthew 4:17 RSV

because repentance has brought me indescribable peace of mind.

D

Definition_Christ

This has become the most popular verse in the Bible today and possibly one of the most misinterpreted and most taken out of Scriptural context passages in the Bible today as well.

Let me explain..

1 John 2:15.."Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

Why would God tell us in the Word "NOT" to love the world, if He loves the world? This is no contradiction but helps to also understand the context of John 3:16.. This should cause us to search the Scriptures and find deeper understanding.

John 3:16." For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

One key is found in the fourth word of the passage. For God so "LOVED" the world. Note it does not say For God so "LOVES" the world. Why would it say this in the past tense and not present?

Next key will be found in the original Greek text and meaning of the word "world" which is "KOSMOS" and ultimately means; GOD'S ORDERLY ARRANGEMENT.

"For God so "LOVED" His orderly arrangement the HE gave His only begotten Son...."

This passage is not simply saying that God just loves everyone, when elsewhere in Scripture we actually find God hating some. I am not condoning hate and believe we are to have compassion on all, showing the love of Jesus Christ. Just encouraging all, (including myself) to seek the context of the Word. There truly is much more than meets the eye and that is popularly taught, especially today, in this hour we live in.

Kosmos means literally all mankind this is where we get the English word "cosmos" from. It's not suggesting God only loves a select few. God so loved the kosmos, the world is an accurate translation made by bible scholars who knew what they were talking about.

For God so LOVED the world He SENT ....

It's past tense because Jesus was sent INTO the world. Jesus was in the world at the time, so it is past tense. Jesus was sent, God loved.. This was God's gift to mankind.

Romans 5:18
Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.

So, EVERY man has sinned... ALL men came into judgment - or are we saying only FEW men sinned, and only FEW men came into judgment?

If the case is, ALL men have sinned, judgment came to ALL men. (Every single individual)

Then .. The free gift came to ALL men, unless the definition of "all" changes in the SAME sentence.

It says the free gift CAME to all men, not ALL men received the gift. We must receive the gift through faith in Jesus.

We know..

Romans 10:17
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Who is able to hear the word of God?..

EVERYONE..

So then everyone is able to obtain salvation through the death of Jesus.

John 5:24
Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

So once we BELIEVE Jesus - we pass from the judgment that we had from Adam..Passing INTO the life - the free gift in Jesus..

Hebrews 2:9
But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.

KJV says "Every man"..

Pas is the Greek word, which is defined...

James Strong Definition..
Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole: - all (manner of, means) alway (-s), any (one), X daily, + ever, every (one, way), as many as, + no (-thing), X throughly, whatsoever, whole, whosoever.
Hope that helps because if we understand Jesus died for ALL men,

1 John 2:2
And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

The WHOLE WORLD... holos kosmos.. Everything within the kosmos..

Jesus wouldn't die for ALL men, unless ALL men had a chance to receive eternal life.. Therefore.. God LOVES all men and desires ALL to be saved and come into a relationship with Him. Because.. God is LOVE.

1 Timothy 2
3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus.

1 Timothy 4:10
For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.

God bless you NJ, just hope you view God - who is love. Changes in another way.. He truly does love ALL men and desires every single human being who has lived, currently living, and all who will live to be saved and come into a save and loving relationship with Him.

Last edited:
C

charisenexcelcis

Let me explain..

I have to say that I disagree with your Greek exegesis of this. John 3:16 is in the aorist, which is timeless, not past as you are presenting it. The word "kosmos" does have the sense of the orderliness of the world (not centered particularly on God as creator), but the same word is used in I John, so you must use context if you are going to contrast these two.

C

charisenexcelcis

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:8-10.

S

socperkins

I have so many favorite passages. One I read the other day was pretty cool.

2 Kings 6:16-17 -
He said, "Do not be afraid, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them." Then Elisha prayed and said, "O LORD, please open his eyes that he may see." So the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw, and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

I'm also a fan of Hebrews 4:12 -
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

ESV

Z

zeejaywild

I like the passage with Elisha...it is a wonderful passage.
It simple states that, no matter what happens, no matter how great a foe you find yourself up against, GOD's power and forces surpass them vastly, so keep your mind at rest. Let him be your stronghold, shoulder to lean on and he will wipe away all your fears.

M

mcubed

This technically is not on topic because it is not a favorite Bible verse but book… the book of Hebrews. For me it made me understand how Yashua is my Messiah. It is the only book, that all in one, brings the Torah, the Prophets, and the Writings together and explains how Yashua (Jesus) is the Messiah.

Status
Not open for further replies.