FB - selfies and all that jazz...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

jandian

Feb 12, 2011
So I was wondering.....

The trend of posting numerous selfies on fb. Would this be considered to be self-involved and self-promoting; pushing one further away from the modest and humble character that we ought to walk in as Christians. What are your thoughts?

S

Siberian_Khatru

I don't know about pushing arrogance, but it can border and even cross into self absorption or narcissism.

Channa

Mar 1, 2014
I think you should consider that for yourself. It's not christian or not-christian.

G4JC

Feb 9, 2011
If it is done to self-promote/boast about oneself, e.g. done selfishly (which I think some definitely are), then yes it's wrong.

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

- II Timothy 3:1-5

Not only this, but Facebook and Instagram are HUGE privacy risks. Geo-location data is often posted with each photo. We are quickly entering into a world where every living moment of the day is recorded, uploaded, and analysed.
There are a few open-source/privacy respecting social-networks, but they aren't used as much as FaceCrack yet.
See here: https://prism-break.org/en/subcategories/windows-social-networks/

I think another issue with people obsessed with Facebook, is that they don't get out and see the real world around them. It's always about getting more Likes and feeling accepted. Gaining new "friends" in a virtual-world, when IRL they don't have any who would come to their aide in time of need.

jes

Jan 16, 2011
idk... i think its a matter of the heart and not our spot to say weather or not its right or wrong... the only time im a little urked is when someone uploads a selfie like a glamour shot and puts the verse about beauty being fleeting and charm being deceptive .... i feel like its counter productive to the verse... but i think self confidence is lacked in a lot of people and its good when someone has a little self confidence. but as for selfies them selves, it really comes to matters of the heart. idk... just my little 2 cents

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I thought this an interesting thread to resurrect, not just young adults' concern.

And just saying it here... I hardly get to visit this forum or the singles, others, and it really feels funny when u want to post or read on something less than the Family forum in scope, but for or abt married people in general..

G

GraceRevelation

I hate selfies lol...i even hate the word. I think it's fine here and there but all the time and always talking and writing about it and obsessing over it seems narcissistic. Self involved absolutely lol...sorry no getting around it.