fetuses yawn in womb 4D scans show

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

link-->4D scans show fetuses yawn in the womb - Yahoo! News

LONDON (Reuters) - Growing into a fully formed human being is a long process, and scientists have found that unborn babies not only hiccup, swallow and stretch in the womb, they yawn too.
Researchers who studied 4D scans of 15 healthy fetuses also said they think yawning is a developmental process which could potentially give doctors a new way to check on a baby's health.
While some scientists have previously suggested that fetuses yawn, others disagree and say it is nothing more than a developing baby opening and stretching its mouth.
But writing in the journal PLOS ONE on Wednesday, British researchers said their study was able to clearly distinguish yawning from "non-yawn mouth opening" based on how long the mouth was open.
The researchers did this by using 4D video footage to examine all the times when fetuses opened their mouths.
Nadja Reissland of Durham University's department of Psychology, who led the study, said the function and importance of yawning in fetuses is still unknown, but the findings suggest it may be linked to fetal development and could provide a further indication of the health of the unborn baby.
"Unlike us, fetuses do not yawn contagiously, nor do they yawn because they are sleepy," she said. "Instead, the frequency of yawning in the womb may be linked to the maturing of the brain early in gestation."
The study was carried out on eight female and seven male fetuses from 24 to 36 weeks gestation. The researchers found that yawning declined from 28 weeks and that there was no significant difference in how often boys and girls yawned.
(Reporting by Kate Kelland, editing by Paul Casciato)

H

Hellooo

It gets a litte boring, watching someone elses guts for nine months

S

Sarah_D

It gets a litte boring, watching someone elses guts for nine months
I know! No wonder they start kicking.. it's like gimme some room in here man!

J

jkalyna

THAT'S SO AWESOME. THEY ALSO HEAR AT 5 MONTHS. GLORY TO GOD, WHAT A WORK.

V

violakat

Ok, I'm going to do it. Brace yourselves:

AWWWW

Sep 7, 2012
How could it possibly be a yawn, please? There is a liquid environment and no possible reason for a yawn. I think you and whoever suggested that possible reason for this picture just thought it was a yawn.

B

BarlyGurl

How could it possibly be a yawn, please? There is a liquid environment and no possible reason for a yawn. I think you and whoever suggested that possible reason for this picture just thought it was a yawn.
Celeste... perhaps it would help your sense of reason to watch "the silent scream", let us know if your position on this subject remains unchanged?

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Something about the water that intrigues me...

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Do you have children?

W

webchatter

1still-waters is not the one" suggesting " this is a yawn, or that this yawn indicates maturing of the brain development. The ones stating this are SCIENTISTS. I saw this on CNN where they also reported "scientists believe this yawning is a clear indication of the brain development maturing".
Thank you 1still-waters for the post. Even more proof that we have a human in the womb with a brain.(dare I say... & a soul?)

Jan 16, 2011
This is really cool! I work at a radiology clinic and see so many pictures just like this one, but it never really occurred to me that they are yawning! Really interesting I'm going to share this story with my co workers :)

Aug 15, 2009
I bet 1stillwaters was there telling one of his (yawn) stories. :)

1still_waters

Comments from Stephen and Jullianna have been noted by your dear leader.

:D :p

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I am always amazed how when evidence is presented of life, some need to reason it to a simple action of development.
I loved it when I had the first ultrasound with my forth pregnancy, it was new at that time, and a glimce at the life of the child within me.
The technition and I were delighted and amazed to see my twelve week old baby in womb, sucking her thumb.
She of course continued to untill about the age of five. :)
What was also amazing was she didnt like the pressure of the ultrasound device, as each time the technition pressed down, she would move away.
She is still picky about her personal space to this day. :)

It was a few years ago, when I was listening to a radio discussion about how they had proved that the baby in womb knew pain, when a person asked how early? The radio host said it was better to not discuss it, the person asked why?
Because the baby showed pain responce as early as even before 9 weeks.

Saddly we live in a world that is always willing to show proof for what it wants, but fails to show truth, when it proves the want is wrong.

God bl;ess
pickles

P

psychomom

Stilly...I heart you for posting this. :)

-ellie

N

nicolefxo

that is the cutest thing ever, haha :)

Aug 2, 2009
I am always amazed how when evidence is presented of life, some need to reason it to a simple action of development.
I loved it when I had the first ultrasound with my forth pregnancy, it was new at that time, and a glimce at the life of the child within me.
The technition and I were delighted and amazed to see my twelve week old baby in womb, sucking her thumb.
She of course continued to untill about the age of five. :)
What was also amazing was she didnt like the pressure of the ultrasound device, as each time the technition pressed down, she would move away.
She is still picky about her personal space to this day. :)

It was a few years ago, when I was listening to a radio discussion about how they had proved that the baby in womb knew pain, when a person asked how early? The radio host said it was better to not discuss it, the person asked why?
Because the baby showed pain responce as early as even before 9 weeks.

Saddly we live in a world that is always willing to show proof for what it wants, but fails to show truth, when it proves the want is wrong.

God bl;ess
pickles
I think Einstein said it best:

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle."
- Albert Einstein