Few Questions...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Sadarian

I will start off by saying that I have limited knowledge on the background of the topic I am about to discuss. It is simply an opinion of what I see going on around me. Heh, in the realm of religion I have as much right to make a statement of truth as Tiger Woods has to play hockey. We can both try but we would both be dismissed by others who claim to be professionals on the topic.

I don’t want this to be a debate, instead I want to think of it as a learning experience. I have some honest questions, none of which I can answer. Perhaps some of you smart folks out there in cyber space can help a guy out. But I am not holding my breath.

Why do we use God as a reason to defend violence? There has been a lot of discussion revolving around Israel and many are of the opinion that they violent actions they take are justified. I do not have a problem with this conclusion, regardless of my personal opinion on the topic. What I don’t understand is the reason that some people give. I have heard justifications ranging from: “It’s ok, they are the chosen people of God” to “It won’t matter because anyone who messes with Israel will face the wrath of God.” When I inquire as to why they feel this way I am usually tossed an independent Bible verse with little to no original explanation from the person presenting it.

Justifying someone for what they do is one thing, justifying them for an abstract ideal that you think they represent is another. If I meet Gene Wilder I am not going to idolize him as Willy Wonka, instead, I am going to treat him for who he is, not who he represented. If I met Mel Gibson I will not idolize him because he freed Scotland from the English.

Anything that uses God as a justification for violence I will not support. I would be willing to place a wager that many of the genocides and mass murders were carried out using the justification of an ideal greater than the individual carrying out. This includes, but is not limited to, a deity, country, collective thought or large group of people. If a drunk, violent husband kills his wife and right before he is sentenced pleads that is was in the will and interest of God does it make it any less of a murder?

Why can’t homosexuals get married? Is it because it is not pure in the eyes of God? I am confused, what does that say about the 40-50% “pure couples” the broke their eternal promise by having a divorce? I also do not believe Leviticus 18:22 justifies the cruel treatment they receive. Honestly, as much crap as they put up with, getting through a lifetime commitment with someone they truly care for and love should be a piece of cake.

C

Credo_ut_Intelligam

If I meet Gene Wilder I am not going to idolize him as Willy Wonka
Gene Wilder would be proud to know his legacy lives on in analogies such as this. :)

Anything that uses God as a justification for violence I will not support.
You wouldn't be opposed to all forms of violence, correct? For example, Israel's wars in the OT?

Why can’t homosexuals get married? Is it because it is not pure in the eyes of God?
Basically, yes. Marriage is, at minimum, a covenant between a man and a woman. A man and a man or a woman and a woman or a man and an animal or a woman and an animal don't qualify.

I am confused, what does that say about the 40-50% “pure couples” the broke their eternal promise by having a divorce?
I don't think it says anything about it.

I also do not believe Leviticus 18:22 justifies the cruel treatment they receive. Honestly, as much crap as they put up with, getting through a lifetime commitment with someone they truly care for and love should be a piece of cake.
I agree, they shouldn't be treated cruelly. But we may disagree as to what constitutes "cruel" treatment. Some homosexuals probably think it is cruel to prohibit them marrying. I don't think that is cruel. Some people might think it's cruel to merely condemn it as a sin. I don't think that is cruel. Some might think it is cruel to have an emotional aversion or disgust over homosexuality. I don't necessarily think that is cruel either.