Flu, fever linked with autism in pregnancy study

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

Doctors trying to find some of the causes of autism put another piece into the puzzle on Monday: They found women who had flu while they were pregnant were twice as likely to have a child later diagnosed with autism. Those who had a fever lasting a week or longer -- perhaps caused by flu or maybe by something else -- were three times as likely to have an autistic child.
The study of 96,000 children in Denmark raises as many questions as it answers. But it fits in with a growing body of evidence that suggests that, in at least some cases, something is going on with a mother’s immune system during pregnancy that affects the developing child’s brain. Health officials said the finding reinforces their recommendations that pregnant women should make sure to get flu shots.

link-->Flu, fever linked with autism in pregnancy study - Vitals

W

webchatter

yes,sell those scripts & medicine & shots. WHO paid for the study? They arn't saying it was proven yrs ago that the preservative in these child vaccines causes autism.the time of day u give your baby these vaccines is vital. Europe has known this for yrs, plus the frequency of doses. I hope they are telling some truth this time & not giving out fixed results.God keep our children safe. I would never take any flu vaccine while I was pregnant til I found out what was in it, especially the preservative.

J

Jullianna

I'm not a fan of receiving any medication that isn't absolutely vital during pregnancy. If women have concerns about this, I would suggest that they get a flu shot and allow any reaction to subside before conception. Some reactions can be very strong and result in high fevers. The last thing any pregnant woman needs is a high fever.

We should do whatever we need to in order to have healthy children. That said, we must understand that even then situations will happen. But God is on the throne and everything that happens is for his glory. I don't know about anyone else, but I have been around and have helped care for several autistic children. As difficult as life is for them and for those who care for them, they are a blessing. The love they show is pure and I know they have the heart of God.

B

BarlyGurl

I'm not a fan of receiving any medication that isn't absolutely vital during pregnancy. If women have concerns about this, I would suggest that they get a flu shot and allow any reaction to subside before conception. Some reactions can be very strong and result in high fevers. The last thing any pregnant woman needs is a high fever.

We should do whatever we need to in order to have healthy children. That said, we must understand that even then situations will happen. But God is on the throne and everything that happens is for his glory. I don't know about anyone else, but I have been around and have helped care for several autistic children. As difficult as life is for them and for those who care for them, they are a blessing. The love they show is pure and I know they have the heart of God.
I see quite a few conflicts with your situtional ethics philosophy and your profession that GOD is on the throne here...

Why would you suggest a woman with concerns to get a flu shot at all? Influenza vaccinations only protect against certain strains and it mutates so rapidly the vaccines manufacturers are awayss in "catch-up" mode.
Getting a flu shot "before" conception...REALLY? Clearly, you believe the reproduction is to be controlled by the woman/couple...yet this is neither scriptural nor pencils out in real world statistics.
How is it that God is on the throne if your baby has a medical condition, but not on the throne regarding the timing of conception? I see a gap in your logic... can you explain this?

J

Jullianna

I see quite a few conflicts with your situtional ethics philosophy and your profession that GOD is on the throne here...

Why would you suggest a woman with concerns to get a flu shot at all? Influenza vaccinations only protect against certain strains and it mutates so rapidly the vaccines manufacturers are awayss in "catch-up" mode.
Getting a flu shot "before" conception...REALLY? Clearly, you believe the reproduction is to be controlled by the woman/couple...yet this is neither scriptural nor pencils out in real world statistics.
How is it that God is on the throne if your baby has a medical condition, but not on the throne regarding the timing oconception? I see a gap in your logic... can you explain this?
I wasn't commenting on whether or not they should have it, but on the timing if they decided to have it.

God is on the throne regardless. No explanation is necessary. When God showed my husband and I that the time was right for us to start a family, we planned ahead, but I would think that to be the business of my God, my husband and myself.

The topic of this thread is flu shots and autism, not my personal ethics. Please resist personal attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BarlyGurl

I wasn't commenting on whether or not they should have it, but on the timing if they decided to have it.

God is on the throne regardless. No explanation is necessary. When God showed my husband and I that the time was right for us to start a family, we planned ahead, but I would think that to be the business of my God, my husband and myself.

The topic of this thread is flu shots and autism, not my personal ethics. Please resist personal attacks.
Alrighty then Julianna... the thing is... I made no personal ATTACK upon you. THE definition of personal attack is to threaten slander or accuse an individual. Being unhappy that I am questioning your situational ethics philosophy, specifically in the context of your advice/opinion here in this thread is appropriate here. I should think any sincere christian would understand that in ALL THINGS we are accountable before God. I have to conclude by your rebuff that you are not concerned about the GIANT CHASM I happened to notice between your faith statement and your advice. I would encourage everyone to be more thoughtful... since the posts last and can influence far longer than the time it took to type them.

J

Jullianna

My apologies for any part I may have played in derailing your thread, Stilly. Surely you didn't intend it to be about my personal ethics or whether or not I am or am not a real christian, so I will not be responding to yet another personal attack that makes no reference whatsoever to the topic at hand.

Interesting link:

Ad hominem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:

1still_waters

My apologies for any part I may have played in derailing your thread, Stilly. Surely you didn't intend it to be about my personal ethics or whether or not I am or am not a real christian, so I will not be responding to yet another personal attack that makes no reference whatsoever to the topic at hand.

Interesting link:

Ad hominem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Were you muddying someone's obfuscation again? :p

J

Jullianna

I'm trying to behave so we don't need another high horse in here and you aren't helping, Stilly. :D That other one is looking kinda tired. :D