Food for thought: Was Jonah kept alive in the belly of the whale for 3 days?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kenisyes

OK, obviously it requires open hearts. Seen any of those around lately? <smile>
Yes, but it depends on the thread. I can count you in, right?

T

Therapon

Yes, but it depends on the thread. I can count you in, right?
Sure, but count on me for what?

I learned years ago that I didn't have locks on the Holy Spirit, that other brethren had insight into the Bible that I didn't. Result being: Much of what I now know about Scripture came from bits and pieces shared with me over the years by other brethren who knew the Word better than I and walked in the Lord. I learned that to be qualified to teach I had to be able to listen . . .

"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." Phi 2:3

With rare exceptions, what I have run into on this forum is just the opposite. People who couldn't hear a scriptural atom bomb if it went off in their ears and yet consider themselves teachers of the Word and guides to the wise. In unbelievably lengthy posts that few read, these "doctrinal police" quote reams of scriptures they don't understand to bolster doctrinal positions that have little foundation.

This string is a prime example of what I'm talking about! Along comes "Danschance" with a new idea, that Jonah actually died in the great fish. The concept is totally scriptural with verses to support it and yet the "giants in the faith" on here leap all over him like he is some sort of monestrous heretic. Is "Danschance" right? That&#8217;s not the point. Naysaying close mindedness is the death knell of spiritual growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

danschance

Therapon,

Well put. I appreciate your wisdom. I could not of said it better.

As to if I am right or not, keep in mind the heading of this post : "FOOD FOR THOUGHT". I never intended to make any sort of doctrinal statement or add to scripture. I posted this for others to consider and ponder. Unfortunately I was dragged into a tit for tat war of words and carpet bombing with bits of scriptures as ordnance.

Next time I post, I will possess a little more wisdom.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kenisyes

Sure, but count on me for what?
To have an open heart. I agree with; we cannot determine from Scripture if Jonah died in that whale or not. So, it's possible.

T

Therapon

Therapon,

Well put. I appreciate your wisdom. I could not of said it better.

As to if I am right or not, keep in mind the heading of this post : "FOOD FOR THOUGHT". I never intended to make any sort of doctrinal statement or add to scripture. I posted this for others to consider and ponder. Unfortunately I was dragged into a tit for tat war of words and carpet bombing with bits of scriptures as ordnance.

Next time I post, I will possess a little more wisdom.
You did just fine, brother. What I decry is the automatic knee-jerk assumption that the other fellow is wrong.

T

Therapon

To have an open heart. I agree with; we cannot determine from Scripture if Jonah died in that whale or not. So, it's possible.
Great, glad to have you on board <grin>