Forgiveness, good for the soul!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Grateful2Be4Given

One of the toughest challenges I think that we all face as a whole is learning to forgive tresspasses against us and letting them go. I know that I have had difficulty with the latter and in order to have complete and total forgiveness as God intended, I believe that they go hand in hand. :)

The following scripture I think is a great way to remember to that...

"Be gentle and forbearing with one another and, if one has a difference (a grievance or complaint) against another, readily pardoning each other; even as the Lord has [freely] forgiven you, so must you also [forgive]." - Colossians 3:13

R

Ronin

Its like peeling back an Onion of all our lives what we have been hurt or trespassed and forgive them one at a time and then when you get through that you forgive your worst enemy and for that you must look in the Mirror. Seems to me that was the hardest to forgive. Just my humble opinion.

Descyple

Jun 7, 2010
I posted the quote below in another recent thread on forgiveness, but I will repost it here because I think it goes well with your point Grateful2Be4Given.

"Genuine acceptance of forgiveness implies the willingness to extend it to others as well. A core element of Jesus' teaching is that we cannot receive forgiveness for ourselves without doing this. To accept God's forgiveness for ourselves means to participate in a vast project of reconciliation, by which God is restoring the whole creation to friendship with God and with one another. This gives faithful disciples the power and obligation to forgive sins, both in God's name and in our own. Indeed, the Christian community exists through and for the constant widening of the circle of forgiveness and the new kind of human unity this makes possible."
- The Westminster Theological Wordbook of the Bible, pg 148

B

Bloodwashed

I posted the quote below in another recent thread on forgiveness, but I will repost it here because I think it goes well with your point Grateful2Be4Given.

"Genuine acceptance of forgiveness implies the willingness to extend it to others as well. A core element of Jesus' teaching is that we cannot receive forgiveness for ourselves without doing this. To accept God's forgiveness for ourselves means to participate in a vast project of reconciliation, by which God is restoring the whole creation to friendship with God and with one another. This gives faithful disciples the power and obligation to forgive sins, both in God's name and in our own. Indeed, the Christian community exists through and for the constant widening of the circle of forgiveness and the new kind of human unity this makes possible."
- The Westminster Theological Wordbook of the Bible, pg 148
Nice thread! TY!
Got to love that"widening the circle of forgiveness"
Now that is Kingdom of God reality! Blessings Mark!

J

jimsun

I find the toughest "trespass" to forgive is not the one against me but the one against my friend or relative whom I love most dearly.
That, for me, is the test!
J.

G

Grateful2Be4Given

Thank you all for your insight!

Ronin -I would have to agree with your humble opinion. :) After spending years of living with guilt and shame of my actions and every little thought that creeped into my head, I finally learned that God's forgiveness exceeds my own and if he is willing to forgive me for my transgressions and his views matter above all else including my own, then why should I not forgive myself. It has really helped to set me free from a lot of guilt that I lived under! :)

Desycple -Thank you for sharing and you're right, a great complement to the post! :)

Mark -100% agreed! :)

J. -Absolutely true and I understand completely! :)