Frankincense and Myrrh Essential Oil

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
I wondered why scripture spoke of these so highly, so I searched the net. Several sites spoke of their benefits, I will do a copy and paste of one I found. It sounds so good I ordered some last night.
Frankincense Oil
Frankincense oil is one of the most highly prized essential oils in the world, used since antiquity for its medicinal, energetic, cosmetic, and perfumery applications. It is used in clinical aromatherapy for a wide range of symptoms, including skin diseases, respiratory and urinary tract infections, rheumatism, and even syphilis. Although its use in the past in the East and the West was as much medicinal as for perfumery, its use today is mainly employment in high end cosmetic products due to its effectiveness for reducing fine lines and wrinkles, particularly when combined synergistically with myrrh oil. Frankincense oil is renowned for its ability to slow down and deepen the breath and it is used by the holic Church for this reason. It is considered conducive to prayer and contemplation.
How Does Aromatherapy Work?
The circulatory system is the body’s main system of transport. Although there is continual research into the specific pathways and effectiveness of each oil, essential oils are generally absorbed into the circulatory system via absorption through the skin or mucous membranes. Once the oil molecules have entered the bloodstream they travel throughout the body and effect it according to their properties.
Primary Aromatherapy Methods:
inhalation – add two or three drops of essential oil to a bowl of steaming hot water and breathe in the steam for a few minutes with a towel draped over your head to capture the steam with the essences.
vaporization – the most preferred method of vaporization is to add pure essential oils to a nebulizing diffuser for dispersing micron-sized particulates into your immediate environment for aromatherapy benefits.

bathing – add four to six drops of pure essential oils to a hot bath along with a dispersant (such as alcohol or milk) to break up the oil on the surface of the water, which avoids the oil sensitizing your skin. Or, alternatively, you can add 1 teaspoon of golden jojoba, as the carrier oil of choice, to protect the skin.

massage – using 15 to 20 drops of pure essential oil in 1 ounce of massage oil base is one of the most relaxing and therapeutic ways to receive the aromatherapy benefits of the oils, along with the detoxification of the body through lymph drainage and the stimulation of the entire circulatory system.

spray – adding 1 teaspoon of essential oils to 7 ounces of distilled water along with 1 ounce of vodka or 90% isopropyl alcohol (to emulsify the oils) and then spray on bedding, linens, towels, and use as a room spray to deodorize and disinfect the air.

Frankincense (Boswellia carteri) is a small tree with pinnate leaves and pale pink or white flowers that yields a natural gum resin. The frankincense oil is obtained by steam distillation of the gum resin and is employed in many industries, particularly in soaps, cosmetics, and perfumes, but it is also used extensively in the manufacture of incense and natural pharmaceuticals in the East. It grows wild throughout north-east Africa and is native to the Red Sea region. The gum and oil is produced mainly in south Arabia, Ethiopia, and Somalia, but is further exported for distillation to many parts of Europe and Asia. The oil is considered non-toxic, non-irritant, and non-sensitizing, making frankincense oil one of the most extensively used aromatics in the world.
Health Benefits of Myrrh Essential Oil
Antimicrobial and Antiviral: Myrrh essential oil do not allow microbes to grow or infect your system. It can be used to prevent any ailment resulting from microbial infection, such as fever, food poisoning, cough & cold, mumps, measles, pox and infections of wounds. It has no adverse side effects, unlike other antibiotics, such as weakening of liver, or digestive malfunction.

Astringent: Myrrh Essential Oil is an astringent, meaning that it strengthens the hold of gums on teeth, contracts the skin, muscles, intestines and other internal organs. It also strengthens the grip of scalp on hair roots, thereby preventing hair loss. One more serious aspect of this astringent property is that it stops hemorraghing in wounds. When this astringency makes the blood vessels contract and check the flow of blood, it can stop you from losing too much blood when wounded.

Expectorant: Myrrh essential oil is good against coughs and colds. It fights the viral infections that can cause coughs and colds, as well as relieves congestion and reduces the deposition of phlegm in the lungs and respiratory tracts.

Antifungal: Myrrh essential oil acts as a fungicide as well. It can be used either internally and externally to fight fungal infection.

Stimulant: Myrrh essential oil stimulates thoughts, blood circulation, digestion, secretions, nervous activity and excretion. It stimulates the pumping action of the heart, the secretion of digestive juices and bile into the stomach, and it keeps you alert and active by stimulating the brain and the nervous system.

Carminative: This essential oil helps to relieve you of those gases which often result in embarrassing situations in public. It also has an expensive toll on your health by stealing your appetite, slowing down digestion, giving you stomachaches and headaches and sometimes chest pains as well by raising your blood pressure.

Stomachic: Myrrh oil is beneficial for the all around health of your stomach.

Anti-catarrhal: This property of Myrrh essential oil relieves you of excess mucus and phlegm and troubles associated with that sort of mucus deposition, including congestion, breathing trouble, heaviness in chest, and coughs.

Diaphoretic: It increases perspiration and keeps your body free from toxins, extra salt and excess water from your body. Sweating also cleans the skin-pores and helps harmful gases like nitrogen escape.
Vulnerary: This property of myrrh essential oil protects wounds from infections and makes them heal quicker.

Antiseptic: If you have a health amount of myrrh essential oil, you don’t need to worry about small cuts and wounds becoming infected. This oil can take care of them and will not let them become septic, since it is an antiseptic substance. It can protect you from tetanus as well to some extent.

Immune Booster: Myrrh oil strengthens and activates the immune system and keeps the body protected from infections.

Circulatory: This powerful essential oil stimulates blood circulation and ensures the proper supply of oxygen to the tissues. This is good for attaining a proper metabolic rate as well as for boosting the immune system. Increasing the blood flow to the more obscure corners of your body, the better the nutrients and oxygen reach those body parts so they function better and stay healthy.

Tonic: This property means a boost to your overall health. As a tonic, myrrh oil tones up all the systems and organs in the body, gives them strength and protects them from premature aging and infections.

lydever91

Aug 5, 2011
When my son got his cast off for relapsed clubfoot, he had a horrible rash on his leg from the adhesive.
I bought some frankincense and myrrh lotion, applied it a few times daily, and now it looks and feels so much better. Of course the store, a month later, has it for buy 1 get 1 half off, but oh well.
4.JPG
Thanks for sharing, redtent :)

lydever91

Aug 5, 2011
your post has made me want to make homemade frankincense and myrrh candles.

Oct 31, 2011
your post has made me want to make homemade frankincense and myrrh candles.
Or make soap at home and add it! I found some on eBay from a company that makes essential oils, it wasn't too expensive. I am snowed in, even the mail can't get through. I am anxious for it to arrive.

lydever91

Aug 5, 2011
Or make soap at home and add it! I found some on eBay from a company that makes essential oils, it wasn't too expensive. I am snowed in, even the mail can't get through. I am anxious for it to arrive.
I'll have to wait until next month for the soaps(lye and digital scale), I spent $60 on two little bottles of frankincense and myrrh. I know, I know, should have looked online first. That's a must-do for just about everything I have learned

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2011
I'll have to wait until next month for the soaps(lye and digital scale), I spent $60 on two little bottles of frankincense and myrrh. I know, I know, should have looked online first. That's a must-do for just about everything I have learned
The essential oil came this afternoon, I am delighted. On eBay from WFmed, 2 ounces was $14.53 free shipping. I tucked a cotton ball soaked with the oil in the potpourri, the house smells wonderful. Then I added a drop or two to the moisturizing lotion I make for my face. I will mix a drop or two in the vitamin E oil I rub on my gums after I brush my teeth.

I seems like a link to the time that Christ lived among us.

lydever91

Aug 5, 2011
The essential oil came this afternoon, I am delighted. On eBay from WFmed, 2 ounces was $14.53 free shipping. I tucked a cotton ball soaked with the oil in the potpourri, the house smells wonderful. Then I added a drop or two to the moisturizing lotion I make for my face. I will mix a drop or two in the vitamin E oil I rub on my gums after I brush my teeth.

I seems like a link to the time that Christ lived among us.
I'm glad it arrived, I know how awful it is to be anxious about something important arriving in the mail.

Do you think it'd be possible to combine the vitamin e oil with the assumingly homemade toothpaste?
I'm thinking about adding some next time I make a batch, not to mention frankincense and myrrh...so excited!

Oct 31, 2011
I'm glad it arrived, I know how awful it is to be anxious about something important arriving in the mail.

Do you think it'd be possible to combine the vitamin e oil with the assumingly homemade toothpaste?
I'm thinking about adding some next time I make a batch, not to mention frankincense and myrrh...so excited!
I have about 1/3 cup of moisturizer left, I added some drops, it blended in fine. I have a very tiny jar, I put vitamin E oil in and added these drops and shook it together. I use a Q-tip to coat my gums after brushing. Feels healing, clean, and wonderful.

lydever91

Aug 5, 2011
What do you think about a homemade toothpaste with coconut oil, baking soda, about 5 drops of both frankincense, myrrh, and a bit of vitamin e oil? My e oil doesn't drip, it pours out lol.

Do you think the flavor of the frankincense/myrrh would be too strong not to add some spearmint or peppermint?

Oct 31, 2011
What do you think about a homemade toothpaste with coconut oil, baking soda, about 5 drops of both frankincense, myrrh, and a bit of vitamin e oil? My e oil doesn't drip, it pours out lol.

Do you think the flavor of the frankincense/myrrh would be too strong not to add some spearmint or peppermint?
Sounds like a wonderful recipe. I'll bet the taste of the paste will be fine with just the frankincense and myrrh, you'll like the clean feel of it. You could always put some to the side, add the other oils and see what you think.