Friend with autism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink. If she doesnt want to change then leave her to the consequences of her decisions.

S

Siberian_Khatru

I have no friends though....except for Sue and one other girl who I dunno if you could call a friend.
What about us?! I would totally go buy pads if you started advertising blood soaked pants in public. That is a friend. :p

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink. If she doesnt want to change then leave her to the consequences of her decisions.
:-( But I don't think she's capable of making decisions....

S

Siberian_Khatru

:-( But I don't think she's capable of making decisions....
Of course she is, they just may not be good/constructive/conducive ones. On the same token, hopefully she learns from the poor ones. As cool as I think it is that you want to help, I believe Nautilus is right.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
Of course she is, they just may not be good/constructive/conducive ones. On the same token, hopefully she learns from the poor ones. As cool as I think it is that you want to help, I believe Nautilus is right.
*sigh* :-( I just hope that she's gonna be ok.

kodiak

Mar 8, 2015
*sigh* :-( I just hope that she's gonna be ok.
just keep praying. She will be ok, she has you for a friend, right? Sadly I have seen people rebel even more when they are forced to do something.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
just keep praying. She will be ok, she has you for a friend, right? Sadly I have seen people rebel even more when they are forced to do something.
yeah................

S

Siberian_Khatru

You're awesome JF. Definitely be there for her if you can, in any case.

M

mystikmind

Well, from what i have gleaned from this situation, my intuition barometer is pointing strongly at the mother. You want to know what is wrong with this girl 'ding ding ding' we have a winner, it the mother!

Also consider this, there was a man who loved the mother enough to be engaged to her, and he was willing to sacrifice that relationship to help the daughter,, he may not have had the right idea how to do it, or he may have, but either way, that situation says allot about what kind of person the mother is.

Sometimes parents live in denial when it comes to their children, but this kind of denial helps no one, and usually makes things worse.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
Well, from what i have gleaned from this situation, my intuition barometer is pointing strongly at the mother. You want to know what is wrong with this girl 'ding ding ding' we have a winner, it the mother!

Also consider this, there was a man who loved the mother enough to be engaged to her, and he was willing to sacrifice that relationship to help the daughter,, he may not have had the right idea how to do it, or he may have, but either way, that situation says allot about what kind of person the mother is.

Sometimes parents live in denial when it comes to their children, but this kind of denial helps no one, and usually makes things worse.
Ok yes I can see that as being true however she does have autism and I can't see where denial is and where she really behaviorally can't help it.

A

atwhatcost

So there's this girl who goes to my college...let's call her sue. Yesterday Sue and I hung out. I went to class I was a perfect student and then class was over and as I was walking to my car I saw Sue. "Hey sue!" I said.

"Hey," She replied.

"What time do you have class?" I asked.

"Noon," she said.

"Ok wanna go get Starbucks?"

"Sure," she said.

So we went to get starbucks. After getting starbucks she had me talk to this guy. After talking for a bit 11:40 rolled around. "Sue, we should probably get you to class," I said.

"I don't wanna go to class. I'm not going."

Both me and the guy tried to reason with her to get her to go to class but she refused. I evetually had to say, "If you don't go to class I'm going to text your mother."

"I don't care," she said.

So I texted her mother saying this:
Your daughter doesn't want to go to class. What do I do?

She responded:

Tell her no or she is in big trouble.

I told Sue what her mom had told me and she said, "oh fine."

I walked her to class and messaged her mom again. She replied with something Sue thought was funny. She had me walk back to the guy and read the text messages. He laughed and she thought that he thought it was funny. I saw his laugh be more uncomfortable than anything.

"Sue, we really gotta get to class," I said gently.

"Ok," she said sadly.

I walked her back to her classroom. As we were wating for her teacher to arrive this girl named Lexi was waiting there also. "Hey Sue," she said.

"Hey," she replied.

The three of us got talking and Sue began to say some weird things. The way Sue and I met was through this campus group called CRU. I hated it because the girls were not only mean to me but they were also meant to Sue.

"I'm a staff member at CRU," Sue said, "and we talk behind people's backs."

"And that's a good thing?" Lexi asked.

"Umm....no. But I'm just like them," Sue said.

"Sue, it's not nice to talk behind people's back," I said.

"So? Everyone else does it. We talk behind your back and your boyfriends back," she said.

That got me angry. They can talk behind my back all they want but they can NOT talk behind my boyfriends back. Sue giggled seeing my reaction and I calmed down.For all I knew she was just saying this stuff to get under my skin...but I wouldn't put it past those girls to talk behind my back and my boyfriend's.

Class started for Sue and she reluctantly went in the room. I felt lost. I figured why not get some homework done while I wait (I promised her that I would hang out with her after as a means to get her to go to class)? So I headed to the library but then I realized she was going to have no way of finding me because she doesn't have a cell phone. She doesn't have a cell phone because her mom or this pastor took it away because she recorded her mom yelling at her and was planning on taking it to the authorities. The pastor said that it was dangerous for her to have a phone and something happened where she got banned from a church or a church event.

Anyway I decided now would be a good time to call her mom and figure out how to best help her so I did. It started with a simple question of "Sue said she talked behind peoples backs and she thinks it's a good thing. What do I do? How do I respond?"

Her mom launches into this huge back story about her and Sue. Here is what I remember from it:

1) Her mom had to give up a fiance for her. The fiance said that if you don't institutionalize sue then he wasn't going to marry her so the mom said "bite the dust" and gave him his ring back.

2) Sue got her mom fired from her job by contacting her moms boss on facebook and telling him everything that was going on at home.

3) Sue's mom is jobless now and hasn't worked in three months and can't find a job because there are none that are flexible enough so that she can also care for Sue.

4) Despite everything Sue demands that her mom gives her a life of luxury and does everything for her.

5) Sue also gets jealous when her mom will buy a piece of candy like a chocolate bar for someones birthday and not get one for her.

So that's what I remember.

Sue gets out of class and she asks me to text her mom when she was going to pick her up. so I did and her mom said that she was there. Sue wanted to hang out more so I messaged her mom asking if we could hang out more. Her mom said no. So we walked to her moms car. Her mom and I got to talking and as we were talking Sue picks up a needle and begins poking her leg with it.

"Uh...sue," I said nervously.

"Give it to me," her mom said.

"No," Sue said.

Her mom grabbed the pin away and Sue looked very annoyed. We talked more then they left because Sue's mom was on her period and didn't have a tampon. I offered her a pad, she took it and then they left. When I got home I got a message from Sue's mom saying that they are going to be moving within a year because the taxes are too high.

WHAT DO I MAKE OF THIS??? I AM SO CONFUSED!! Also how can I help Sue? Keep in mind I have only been hanging out with her for two days. What I just described is day 2.

Truthfully, I was getting more and more uncomfortable reading this, so I quit halfway down. Right around the time you said it's okay to talk to about you behind your back, but it's not okay to talk about your boyfriend behind his back.

Why was I uncomfortable? Because I'm naturally a gossip and this whole thing smacked of gossip.

And, yeesh! I am assuming you're both in college, so why are you calling her mommy? She has what it takes to make it in to college. You're not her mother. She's autistic, not intellectually disabled.

I can make many things about this, but none of it has to do with Sue, other than she has you to contend with. If you need to tell of your heroic efforts, why not keep a diary? At 20, you should learn to deal with life, instead of getting others to deal with it for you. And your life. Sue has to learn to deal with her life too.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
Truthfully, I was getting more and more uncomfortable reading this, so I quit halfway down. Right around the time you said it's okay to talk to about you behind your back, but it's not okay to talk about your boyfriend behind his back.

Why was I uncomfortable? Because I'm naturally a gossip and this whole thing smacked of gossip.

And, yeesh! I am assuming you're both in college, so why are you calling her mommy? She has what it takes to make it in to college. You're not her mother. She's autistic, not intellectually disabled.

I can make many things about this, but none of it has to do with Sue, other than she has you to contend with. If you need to tell of your heroic efforts, why not keep a diary? At 20, you should learn to deal with life, instead of getting others to deal with it for you. And your life. Sue has to learn to deal with her life too.
wow! Rude!

F

Femalelamb

It sounds to me like Sue and her mother need deliverance. No kidding! You can pray and fast. Honestly just be kind and pray and fast. Do not get any more involved unless you are sure God wants you to... It sounds to me like a wise experienced minister with deliverance experience needs to manage this. I'd recommend you directing them to one if you know of someone trustworthy, kind, and compassionate as well as a help to them to find financial support, and just keeping in prayer and fasting regularly. You have an obvious big heart. So many would run from Sue or mock her. I'm praying for all involved. I

have a nephew now 20 who is autistic... Sounds like to a similar degree. The difference his parents are both reborn Holy Spirit filled followers of Christ. They also use nutrition and other helpful supplements for him that help. He just got his drivers liscence last week, and finished high school... So although a little behind schedule he is coming along fine, and although quirky he is wise and kind and able to function and will be a valuable asset to society... Not to mention he is brilliant... Knowing several languages including Hebrew... And memorized most of the Bible. So there is hope, in Christ. :)

Also, there is nothing wrong with someone speaking a word of correction, if in love and it's actually correct and not a nasty opinion. Just tell people thank you but that doesn't minister, or that you will consider what they said. Often people speak to quickly or with zeal but not wisdom. Still do pray that God show you if there was any validity at all to their comment.

Lord bless you.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
It sounds to me like Sue and her mother need deliverance. No kidding! You can pray and fast. Honestly just be kind and pray and fast. Do not get any more involved unless you are sure God wants you to... It sounds to me like a wise experienced minister with deliverance experience needs to manage this. I'd recommend you directing them to one if you know of someone trustworthy, kind, and compassionate as well as a help to them to find financial support, and just keeping in prayer and fasting regularly. You have an obvious big heart. So many would run from Sue or mock her. I'm praying for all involved. I

have a nephew now 20 who is autistic... Sounds like to a similar degree. The difference his parents are both reborn Holy Spirit filled followers of Christ. They also use nutrition and other helpful supplements for him that help. He just got his drivers liscence last week, and finished high school... So although a little behind schedule he is coming along fine, and although quirky he is wise and kind and able to function and will be a valuable asset to society... Not to mention he is brilliant... Knowing several languages including Hebrew... And memorized most of the Bible. So there is hope, in Christ. :)

Also, there is nothing wrong with someone speaking a word of correction, if in love and it's actually correct and not a nasty opinion. Just tell people thank you but that doesn't minister, or that you will consider what they said. Often people speak to quickly or with zeal but not wisdom. Still do pray that God show you if there was any validity at all to their comment.

Lord bless you.
Thank you! I don't know any ministers well enough unfortunatly... and I don't think they would go for it either. Sue's mom is a Christian and I'm not sure about Sue.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
So here's an update: Sue lied to me. She messaged me pretending to be someone she wasn't. I believed it for a short time then I messaged the girl she was pretending to be and she said that she hadn't tried to contact me.

So I was kind of at a loss for what to do. So I called her mom after confronting Sue asking her what I should do. Her mom was in a bad mood so she was very snippy with me however I could understand why. Sue was being disrespectful again. Her mom really seems to have had it with sue. She seems ready to put her in a group home. I don't know what to do because this is waaaay beyond anything I have ever experienced. Any thoughts? Any advice?

Her mom says that Sue needs a normal friend to do friend things with and I dunno how to do that with her.