From the Bible: Love of money, is a root of evil (1 Timothy 6:8-12)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MikkoAinasoja

Nov 19, 2014
Our dear brother Paulus to Timothy:

8. but having food and covering we shall be therewith content.

9. But they that are minded to be rich fall into a temptation and a snare and many foolish and hurtful lusts, such as drown men in destruction and perdition.

10. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil: which some reaching after have been led astray from the faith, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

11. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

12. Fight the good fight of the faith, lay hold on the life eternal, whereunto thou wast called, and didst confess the good confession in the sight of many witnesses. (1 Timothy 6:8-12)

Dec 19, 2009
Our dear brother Paulus to Timothy:

8. but having food and covering we shall be therewith content.

9. But they that are minded to be rich fall into a temptation and a snare and many foolish and hurtful lusts, such as drown men in destruction and perdition.

10. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil: which some reaching after have been led astray from the faith, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

11. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

12. Fight the good fight of the faith, lay hold on the life eternal, whereunto thou wast called, and didst confess the good confession in the sight of many witnesses. (1 Timothy 6:8-12)
My Bible (Revised Standard Version) says it a little differently. (I think it better makes your point.):

For the love of money is the root of all evils; it is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced their hearts with many pangs. 1 Tim 6:10 RSV

JimmieD

Apr 11, 2014
For the love of money is the root of all evils; it is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced their hearts with many pangs. 1 Tim 6:10 RSV
It seems to me to be hyperbole. Clearly the root of all evil is not money. We can easily imagine the root of some evil to be things like pride, power, aggrandizement, etc..

Yet

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
See: TV wolves.
Money, money, money, I mean BIG money!

What sort of crop is now manifesting among the most exalted?
Google it.
Adultery.
Homosexuality. Even justifying.
Pride.
Bowing to the pope.
Necromancy.
Witchcraft....threatening in order to gain money.
Compromising with world. Ungodliness. Occult imagery.
Etc..

The 'falling away' teaching a different Jesus, gospel, spirit. The apostasy prophesied.

Started with the tithing lies and greed run amok. They lost their minds in lust, arrogance, avarice, and power.

Nov 22, 2015
It's not money itself...as that is neutral - it can be used for good or evil. It's the love of money that is the root of all evil. It makes people think if they have money they will have everything and not need God nor walk in love with other people.

It seems to me to be hyperbole. Clearly the root of all evil is not money. We can easily imagine the root of some evil to be things like pride, power, aggrandizement, etc..

J

jaybird88

i agree that money is one of the biggest corrupters of todays world, the number one evil thing, some may say no but i think it leads more people away than anything else we have today. look at how many today are completely consumed with their job, working a few extra hours (to buy things they probably dont need), their homes, their cars, where they will shop the up coming weekend, how much money they will give the church (if they didnt love the money so much then how much they gave at church would never concern them, they would give and move on). all these things lead people away from our Lord, and also leads them away from having relationships with those they love. money is at the root of all this.
its interesting when studying the Nazarene culture, that many believe Jesus and John were part of, they shunned material wealth, it was part of their discipline. i believe they were well aware of the dangers of money and did not want it infecting their community, they wanted to keep it pure.

Dec 19, 2009
In the Revised Standard Version of the Bible (not to be confused with the New Revised Standard Version), which I was given by my church as a seventh-grader, it doesn’t say, “The root of all evil is money.” It says, “The love of money is the root of all evils.”

Okay, I can’t translate Bible documents, so I don’t know if the Revised Standard Version is more accurate than the version of the Bible that MikkoAinasoja used.

But I think it helps to understand the meaning of the word “evil.” After reading the Bible, my definition or the word “evil” went from “sin” to “causing pain,” and here is why:

And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people. Ex 32:14 RSV

God was going to do evil. He wasn’t going to commit a sin. He was going to cause pain to people.

Feb 9, 2010
Contrary to what some people believe,God only blesses us with our needs,spiritual,and physical.

God's kingdom is about loving people,so God does not bless someone to be rich,but to care for their needs,and the needs of others as much as is possible,which the early Church sold all they had,and distributed to each other,as each person had need.

Dan 11:36 And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.
Dan 11:37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.
Dan 11:38 But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces(the evolutionary process,nature): and a god whom his fathers knew not shall he honour with gold, and silver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things.
Dan 11:39 Thus shall he do in the most strong holds with a strange god, whom he shall acknowledge and increase with glory: and he shall cause them to rule over many, and shall divide the land for gain.
Dan 11:43 But he shall have power over the treasures of gold and of silver, and over all the precious things of Egypt: and the Libyans and the Ethiopians shall be at his steps.

Although the man of sin receives worship in the beast kingdom,by convincing the world that he harnessed the power of nature,and gained power from it,he still has to have the treasures of the world,to heap unto his wanting to exalt himself above every person on earth.

G

ggs7

I agree ,
also,

1Ti 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

J

jaybird88

In the Revised Standard Version of the Bible (not to be confused with the New Revised Standard Version), which I was given by my church as a seventh-grader, it doesn’t say, “The root of all evil is money.” It says, “The love of money is the root of all evils.”

Okay, I can’t translate Bible documents, so I don’t know if the Revised Standard Version is more accurate than the version of the Bible that MikkoAinasoja used.

But I think it helps to understand the meaning of the word “evil.” After reading the Bible, my definition or the word “evil” went from “sin” to “causing pain,” and here is why:

And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people. Ex 32:14 RSV

God was going to do evil. He wasn’t going to commit a sin. He was going to cause pain to people.

few would dispute "love of money" is a sin but lets not forget that the thread title said, "the root of all evil".
root would be the source. love of money would be the end result, not the source where it came from. would the money in itself not be the source?

Dec 19, 2009
few would dispute "love of money" is a sin but lets not forget that the thread title said, "the root of all evil".
root would be the source. love of money would be the end result, not the source where it came from. would the money in itself not be the source?
Well, according to my translation of the Bible, Paul stated that love of money was the root of all evil. Now, you might challenge my translation of the Bible (Revised Standard Version), or you might challenge Paul. I don't feel so strongly on the subject to try to make a judgment. I just try not to let money - or love thereof - to cause me to stray from the path the Lord lays out for me.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
The love of money does indeed create all kinds of evil but the root of evil where evil originates from imo is satan