Funeral, Cremation, Leave Body to Science

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

J-Kay

So many young are dying unexpectedly, leaving famlies
with no funds to give a proper burial. It happened to me.
When our daughter died my husband and I, and son went
half on her funeral. My brother bought her grave. Enough
money came in cards in lieu of flowers, and we purchased
her monument.

Last week there was a murder of 4. None prepared for a
funeral. Donations were taken for the two, father and son,
who were innocent victims shot simply by delivering papers.
I don't know for certain about the other two, but I think one
was cremated.

I wonder what do YOU think about cremation or leaving
bodies to science, when funerals are not affordable for many.

I have understanding the Old Testament considered it offensive
to cremate a body. Of course leaving body to science was
unheard of.

If it were not for my family, I would leave my body to science.
Should Jesus not come for a while, I have no problem with
helping someone using my body to learn from.

I won't get into the specifics of what happens when we are
buried. I have loved ones in graves.

Perry Stone brought up an interesting thought and that is about
those who are burned up to ashes and the Lord comes in the
Rapture. His theory is the DNA is where there is even one ash
and it will be caught up. Makes sense to me.

Has anyone had experience with cremation of loved one and
how did it make you feel ?
Any thoughts on this topic ?

Dec 25, 2012
Where does it say cremation is offensive? We don't need this body anymore so I am all for donating whatever parts are needed once I'm gone.

This is interesting to me so please elaborate on why it would be bad, I have not seen where it would be.

J

J-Kay

Pat Robertson had a question written in about the cremation. He did
not give a scripture to back it up. Assuming Pat knows his Bible much
better than I regarding the entire OT, and his many years of studies,
I quoted his belief. I failed to mention he said the Lord always told
people where they should take their loved one to be buried. Never
burned. No I can't give you scripture.

I personally would be brokenhearted if one of my children choose that
way to go. I won't say why because it would be offensive to some.
I see nothing wrong with leaving body to science.
If it had not been for my daughters children ( 2 adult ) I would have
understood if she had told us that was the way she wanted to go. But
she chose for us to bury her where we will be.
Thanks ~

C

choosingmylife

I've never read in the Bible what's offensive about cremation but I guess it's the idea that hell is where you burn eternally and with cremation you're burned.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
i plan on cremation simply because why should I waste space being buried only to go through what a buried body goes through. Get cremated and get spread and be done.

vens

Jul 13, 2013
I wish to leave my body for science but I hope that doesn't mean I'll have a messed up body after resurrection-"all of them willrise again with their own bodies which they now bear"

K

kenisyes

I Cor. 15:44 and surrounding context is the proof text. Your resurrected body is not made of the same kind of stuff, so the fate of the atoms of the body you were using here is irrelevant. My wife was cremated at her choice, I expect to be also, once my useful organs have blessed someone else.

I

isaria

I just truly beleive a good prayers should be read this is most important for a body burnt or berried with no prayers feels it or maybe not the body but the soul/spirit/being....
a respect for the body.
The rotting process may be nice to some.
I used to like thought of cremation but done incorrect and no prayer it can hurt, i do beleive that.
Also animals killed should have prayer which christians do when they bless the food (bless this cow i shall eat) lol :)
and Grace
when they eat each other in animal it is the only meat they eat.
Humans do not taste nice and it is said several have served dead human meat as chicken because it cheap and "they were dead anyway" and then cut hair and make hair extencions and maybe faceoff surgery if they rich or have spouse they fancey (how horrid) (bit like face off but worse as they may do magic to steal their light and clolours beyond maidenin.

Many have ashes spread.
The urna is wierd thought.
Tomb and graves can be vandalised and then do damage.
Prayer and trust God?
Guess we all have preferences.
Maybe some one i love and approve of can eat me. :)

I dont like thought of burried alive or rotting away and also dislike tag on toe and the bag and being in that lockin space.
Im claustophobic and waking up there.....uuuaaaa (bad enough woke up during surgery and felt it while open ...)

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I wouldnt mind going out viking style. A boat pushed out o a body of water then lit with flaming arrows.

shawntc

May 7, 2010
I personally would like to have my organs donated to those who need it first, then for scientific research, and after that it doesn't really matter to me.

J

J-Kay

I Cor. 15:44 and surrounding context is the proof text. Your resurrected body is not made of the same kind of stuff, so the fate of the atoms of the body you were using here is irrelevant. My wife was cremated at her choice, I expect to be also, once my useful organs have blessed someone else.

Thanks for input. I know you mentioned before about the cremation.
I said I won't explain why I prefer not to see my loved one cremated.
It is said that the fire is meant for 'hell' and the one poster reminded
me that was what Pat said.
As for Perry's 'possible theory' I see nothing wrong with it personally.
It is something even I wondered about. How would we be resurrected
and our bodies come up out of the grave to take on our new body. So
the question about the ashes made sense. I am not scientific minded
obviously, so you have an answer. I don't really see cause of concern
anymore. We are told the Graves will open up and the dead shall rise
first, so you see where I am coming from ? But it is not a major issue.
Thank you for sharing again.

J

J-Kay

I personally would like to have my organs donated to those who need it first, then for scientific research, and after that it doesn't really matter to me.
For those who feel same way shawntc, I agree. It still does leave an open ended question.
What would God want us to do ? God bless...

J

J-Kay

I did a search on Google few times regarding the leaving body to science.
Was surprised at the info regarding it. A high rated facility will keep the
body preserved for teaching and can last as long as 2 years. When they
start with the skin, it done layer by layer. If kept moist, it will be in good
condition for further study. Again, I wonder, what would God want us to
do about this? WE know our spirits leave our body when we die, so that
is not an issue. It is the body and the spirit coming together again at the
day of resurrection, even though we will have new bodies in Heaven.
Again thanks for all who participated and gave your views.

J

J-Kay

I did a search on Google few times regarding the leaving body to science.
Was surprised at the info regarding it. A high rated facility will keep the
body preserved for teaching and can last as long as 2 years. When they
start with the skin, it done layer by layer. If kept moist, it will be in good
condition for further study. Again, I wonder, what would God want us to
do about this? WE know our spirits leave our body when we die, so that
is not an issue. It is the body and the spirit coming together again at the
day of resurrection, even though we will have new bodies in Heaven.
Again thanks for all who participated and gave your views.

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 (King James Version )

King James Version (KJV)

[SUP]16 [/SUP]For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
[SUP]17 [/SUP]Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

J

J-Kay

1 Cor. 15:44
New American Standard Bible
it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

S

sunnygurl

I think it is a personal choice. Neither is right or wrong but each to do what they think is right for them.
I agree with Nautilus - Viking style would be a great way to leave this domain if it was legal today that would be my personal choice too.
I believe our bodies are just our earthly shells where our spirit dwells in while here on earth, when we dwell with God we will receive a new heavenly body.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

danschance

If you can afford to buy a grave plot, that is great. It is fairly expensive but atleast family can come visit your grave if they want. My mother died unexpectedly and we had asked her what she would like done to her body if she should die. She said it didn't matter so we chose to cremate her. I have no problem with cremation. In the United States, two thirds chose cremation over traditional burial.

There is a new "water cremation" or "bio-cremation" which I do have a problem with. The put the body in a big pressure cooker with 350 deg F water and lye solution. The lye dissolves the body, except for bone and any metal in the body. The part I have a big issue with is that the water and the dissolved body is simply drained into the sewer! The bones are collected and pulverized to a powder and handed back to the family. The advantages to this method is it saves energy and green house gasses.

What is Bio Cremation™

J

J-Kay

If you can afford to buy a grave plot, that is great. It is fairly expensive but atleast family can come visit your grave if they want. My mother died unexpectedly and we had asked her what she would like done to her body if she should die. She said it didn't matter so we chose to cremate her. I have no problem with cremation. In the United States, two thirds chose cremation over traditional burial.

There is a new "water cremation" or "bio-cremation" which I do have a problem with. The put the body in a big pressure cooker with 350 deg F water and lye solution. The lye dissolves the body, except for bone and any metal in the body. The part I have a big issue with is that the water and the dissolved body is simply drained into the sewer! The bones are collected and pulverized to a powder and handed back to the family. The advantages to this method is it saves energy and green house gasses.

What is Bio Cremation™
Thanks Dan for this new info.. I had never heard of it. Wow... I thought I have heard it all.. Freezing, etc ...

J

J-Kay

Thanks Dan for this new info.. I had never heard of it. Wow... I thought I have heard it all.. Freezing, etc ...
Next thing you know.. it will be putting bodies in chipper.... oh, the bio ? What an Ombination.....