Galaxy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Anni

Sep 27, 2023
Galaxy (NGC 2818)

Rainbow colour splash
Whispers of astral cirrus
Stretch across the vastness
Gaseous fingers point within
A cosmic drifting amazement
Created by one intelligent Word

Psalm 36:6
By the word of the LORD were the heavens made;
and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth.
KJV

https://hubblesite.org/contents/media/images/2009/05/2464-Image.html

Attachments

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ

Anni

Sep 27, 2023
That's actually not a galaxy (I'm an astronomy buff and not picking on you).
Duh, of course it isn't.
I've actually got "nebula" written on the draft.
Too late to change it, I s'pose.
Thanks for correcting me!
Do you know why it hasn't got a name?

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Duh, of course it isn't.
I do not know, so I looked it up. All it seems to have is the new general catalog number.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Duh, of course it isn't.
Again, NOT picking on you, but considering myself (almost) an amateur astronomer, I get technical about stuff like that.

Anni

Sep 27, 2023
I do not know, so I looked it up. All it seems to have is the new general catalog number.
I got into astronomy years ago encouraging my kids to explore God's creation. My daughter's the real buff. Many a night spent with the local star nutters on a windswept, cold, wet & uncomfortable hillside trying to find a speck in the night sky all in the name of Biblical motherhood.
I still don't get red shift o_O

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I got into astronomy years ago encouraging my kids to explore God's creation. My daughter's the real buff. Many a night spent with the local star nutters on a windswept, cold, wet & uncomfortable hillside trying to find a speck in the night sky all in the name of Biblical motherhood.
I still don't get red shift o_O
Ah... red shift is the same as pitch shift, if you will. I.e., a train's moving at you and the frequency of its horn goes up. As it races by you and goes away from you, the pitch drops.

Does that analogy help at all?

By the way, I had an experience one night while stargazing that I believe was Holy Spirit-initiated.

Love the southern cross, by the way. Unfortunately that's not something we can see in the northern hemisphere.

Anni

Sep 27, 2023
Ah... red shift is the same as pitch shift, if you will. I.e., a train's moving at you and the frequency of its horn goes up. As it races by you and goes away from you, the pitch drops.

Does that analogy help at all?

By the way, I had an experience one night while stargazing that I believe was Holy Spirit-initiated.

Love the southern cross, by the way. Unfortunately that's not something we can see in the northern hemisphere.
Yes, your simple analogy is perfect. It's worded in a way that enables me to visualise the concept. I'd never heard of pitch-shift.

Crux is my favourite constellation. The internet is a great blessing for astronomical images, if not for that I doubt I'd see anything of any constellation for the clouds & light pollution here. I keep meaning to look at the James Webb images, I've grown attached to Hubble over the years.
My daughter took a trip to Australia years ago and texted me as the plane landed, "Mum, Orion's upside down!"

Would you mind sharing your experience?

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Yes, your simple analogy is perfect. It's worded in a way that enables me to visualise the concept. I'd never heard of pitch-shift.

Crux is my favourite constellation. The internet is a great blessing for astronomical images, if not for that I doubt I'd see anything of any constellation for the clouds & light pollution here. I keep meaning to look at the James Webb images, I've grown attached to Hubble over the years.
My daughter took a trip to Australia years ago and texted me as the plane landed, "Mum, Orion's upside down!"

Would you mind sharing your experience?
Yes, Orion would be "upside down". And, I think I made up that phrase "pitch-shift" to try to make the lightwave version of it easier to picture.

My experience... hmm... I'd like to share it... let me grab by journal entry and copy/paste it...

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Written on May 13, 2012...

This started by my lamenting that I could not see the stars close up -- until it occurred to me that I see a star close-up every day. That, for some reason, opened up the sky to me. The sun, a close-up star, made the sky seem almost 3-dimensional. The distances, the sizes of objects over my head all became more real to my perceptions. They were no longer just theoretical numbers. It was so real that it started to become terrifying. Perceiving 500 light-years in a way I never had before filled me with a fear that also helped me to understand why we are not allowed to see God. If that distance terrifies me, how much more would God?

This experience was beautifully humbling, and never have I before or since had a worship experience like this.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Tonight brought an unusual experience to me. On my walk tonight, as I approached the South Pasadena fire station, I started looking up and noticed Scorpius. I also saw Libra and Virgo. I wanted to see these on my iPhone app for the first time since I got the phone. I began studying these constellations... and then nearby ones... I moved over and saw, for the first time maybe in my life, the stars that make up Bootes. And Hercules. And Ophiuchus. And Serpens. I started studying Ursa Major... Draco... Vega. And, I began to think deeply about what I was looking at. Tried to imagine its vastness, to see the truth of what I was looking at, not just the superficial perception.

As I considered the deeper truth of the night sky, I began to feel awed again about it... and then about the God behind it. These distant suns were soooooo far away... soooo big... soooo hot... soooo bright... so unimaginably far away... and what about all that laid outside my visual range? The galaxy behind these immediate stars? And all the galaxies beyond ours? Through the greatness... the insane, indescribable greatness of this creation, I began to perceive -- or get some idea of -- God's insane greatness.

HE... is behind ALL of that!!

HE designed it!!

HE... put it together!!!

His wonderfulness... His wisdom... His power... His majesty... The reverence due Him... the deeper than deep respect owed Him by every human... became clear to me. Who can compare to Him? Who in all that exists comes even close to deserving the respect and reverence due Him? Who else DARES to set himself up as Him?? There is NO ONE who compares to the one true God! NO one else who even comes CLOSE to deserving worship. Why should anyone or anything think that they ought to partake of that which is only reserved for the one true God??

I felt the need to kneel. I did, albeit on concrete. But, I stayed there and prayed and praised. I felt like I needed to embed my whole body into the ground. It was like I could not prostrate myself enough before God. There is no position reverent enough that any human could take that God deserves.

As I was feeling all this, I texted this to about a dozen people:

Looking up at the sky tonight, enjoying one of my favorite pastimes, stargazing. Using an astronomy app on my phone. For all of my frustration and anger towards God, i cannot help but be compelled to worship when I study the sky. I momentarily see my arrogance and God's indescribable greatness... His wisdom... His power. There are no human words to describe Him or that can even worship Him properly.

The whole mood seemed to last. Usually it doesn't last more than a minute or two. But tonight, it is still having an effect on me, about 90 minutes later, as I sit here and type this. I started crying fairly strongly as I walked by the fire station. It kept happening as I continued my walk back to the church parking lot toward my car. I sat on the stone level thingie in front of SPCC and worshipped some more. I felt despondent as I considered His greatness, my nothingness... that He should love me and DIE for me?!? Who the HELL am I that HE should even bat an eye at me? Yet... He did far, far more than that on my behalf. This great and magnificent God created me. Designed me. I am His idea!! I came out of that mind of His! I am connected to Him more deeply than I may have truly realized before.

As I sat in my car, I asked the Holy Spirit to burn the memories and realizations into my brain, so that no matter what happens to me, no matter what I experience, I do not lose sight of God's unimaginable magnificence... or any of the other thoughts that made their appearance in my mind tonight. I implored the Holy Spirit to sear them into my permanent consciousness, so that I would always see them regardless of the pain or pleasure in my life. I did not want to forget God as I saw Him tonight, ever again.

I also prayed that God would reveal Himself to the world the way I saw Him tonight. I wanted every human on earth to see God the way I did, so that they would turn to Him, submit themselves, humble themselves before Him and worship Him. I wanted every human to see their need for God and to understand why they ought to turn to Him. I asked myself tonight, while in my bathroom, why anyone's sin was more important or greater than God to some people. How could anyone perceive one of this world's corrupt pleasures as bigger or more important than God??? They choose poop over a diamond. The enemy has them so blinded... so deceived, that they think the pleasures of sin are better than anything God could offer them. Amazing. Simply amazing.

I am growing tired now. I want this to stay and thus far it has. I hope it never goes away. I want this perpetual spiritual fire to burn in my heart and mind. I like this. After I did all that crying, I looked back and thought how good an experience this was, how cool it was. If memory serves, I thanked God for it.

I've asked God to show Himself to me, to make Himself real. Was this an answer to that prayer? It still is not what I would have wanted, but in a sense, God did show Himself... or a piece of Himself to me tonight.

Or... was that just my own mind? Was this only the result of fatigue and poor sleep? I expect I'll find out over the coming days.

Anni

Sep 27, 2023
Written on May 13, 2012...

This started by my lamenting that I could not see the stars close up -- until it occurred to me that I see a star close-up every day. That, for some reason, opened up the sky to me. The sun, a close-up star, made the sky seem almost 3-dimensional. The distances, the sizes of objects over my head all became more real to my perceptions. They were no longer just theoretical numbers. It was so real that it started to become terrifying. Perceiving 500 light-years in a way I never had before filled me with a fear that also helped me to understand why we are not allowed to see God. If that distance terrifies me, how much more would God?

This experience was beautifully humbling, and never have I before or since had a worship experience like this.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Tonight brought an unusual experience to me. On my walk tonight, as I approached the South Pasadena fire station, I started looking up and noticed Scorpius. I also saw Libra and Virgo. I wanted to see these on my iPhone app for the first time since I got the phone. I began studying these constellations... and then nearby ones... I moved over and saw, for the first time maybe in my life, the stars that make up Bootes. And Hercules. And Ophiuchus. And Serpens. I started studying Ursa Major... Draco... Vega. And, I began to think deeply about what I was looking at. Tried to imagine its vastness, to see the truth of what I was looking at, not just the superficial perception.

As I considered the deeper truth of the night sky, I began to feel awed again about it... and then about the God behind it. These distant suns were soooooo far away... soooo big... soooo hot... soooo bright... so unimaginably far away... and what about all that laid outside my visual range? The galaxy behind these immediate stars? And all the galaxies beyond ours? Through the greatness... the insane, indescribable greatness of this creation, I began to perceive -- or get some idea of -- God's insane greatness.

HE... is behind ALL of that!!

HE designed it!!

HE... put it together!!!

His wonderfulness... His wisdom... His power... His majesty... The reverence due Him... the deeper than deep respect owed Him by every human... became clear to me. Who can compare to Him? Who in all that exists comes even close to deserving the respect and reverence due Him? Who else DARES to set himself up as Him?? There is NO ONE who compares to the one true God! NO one else who even comes CLOSE to deserving worship. Why should anyone or anything think that they ought to partake of that which is only reserved for the one true God??

I felt the need to kneel. I did, albeit on concrete. But, I stayed there and prayed and praised. I felt like I needed to embed my whole body into the ground. It was like I could not prostrate myself enough before God. There is no position reverent enough that any human could take that God deserves.

As I was feeling all this, I texted this to about a dozen people:

Looking up at the sky tonight, enjoying one of my favorite pastimes, stargazing. Using an astronomy app on my phone. For all of my frustration and anger towards God, i cannot help but be compelled to worship when I study the sky. I momentarily see my arrogance and God's indescribable greatness... His wisdom... His power. There are no human words to describe Him or that can even worship Him properly.

The whole mood seemed to last. Usually it doesn't last more than a minute or two. But tonight, it is still having an effect on me, about 90 minutes later, as I sit here and type this. I started crying fairly strongly as I walked by the fire station. It kept happening as I continued my walk back to the church parking lot toward my car. I sat on the stone level thingie in front of SPCC and worshipped some more. I felt despondent as I considered His greatness, my nothingness... that He should love me and DIE for me?!? Who the HELL am I that HE should even bat an eye at me? Yet... He did far, far more than that on my behalf. This great and magnificent God created me. Designed me. I am His idea!! I came out of that mind of His! I am connected to Him more deeply than I may have truly realized before.

As I sat in my car, I asked the Holy Spirit to burn the memories and realizations into my brain, so that no matter what happens to me, no matter what I experience, I do not lose sight of God's unimaginable magnificence... or any of the other thoughts that made their appearance in my mind tonight. I implored the Holy Spirit to sear them into my permanent consciousness, so that I would always see them regardless of the pain or pleasure in my life. I did not want to forget God as I saw Him tonight, ever again.

I also prayed that God would reveal Himself to the world the way I saw Him tonight. I wanted every human on earth to see God the way I did, so that they would turn to Him, submit themselves, humble themselves before Him and worship Him. I wanted every human to see their need for God and to understand why they ought to turn to Him. I asked myself tonight, while in my bathroom, why anyone's sin was more important or greater than God to some people. How could anyone perceive one of this world's corrupt pleasures as bigger or more important than God??? They choose poop over a diamond. The enemy has them so blinded... so deceived, that they think the pleasures of sin are better than anything God could offer them. Amazing. Simply amazing.

I am growing tired now. I want this to stay and thus far it has. I hope it never goes away. I want this perpetual spiritual fire to burn in my heart and mind. I like this. After I did all that crying, I looked back and thought how good an experience this was, how cool it was. If memory serves, I thanked God for it.

I've asked God to show Himself to me, to make Himself real. Was this an answer to that prayer? It still is not what I would have wanted, but in a sense, God did show Himself... or a piece of Himself to me tonight.

Or... was that just my own mind? Was this only the result of fatigue and poor sleep? I expect I'll find out over the coming days.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, it reminds me very much of the profound joy of Psalm 150.
I've never had an epiphany like yours, just more quiet moments of deep contentment. Just knowing the Lord is with me.

Psalm 150
1 Praise the Lord.
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.
2 Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.
3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,
4 praise him with timbrel and dancing,
praise him with the strings and pipe,
5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.
6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.

Praise the Lord.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, it reminds me very much of the profound joy of Psalm 150.
I've never had an epiphany like yours, just more quiet moments of deep contentment. Just knowing the Lord is with me.

Psalm 150
1 Praise the Lord.
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.
2 Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.
3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,
4 praise him with timbrel and dancing,
praise him with the strings and pipe,
5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.
6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.

Praise the Lord.
This followed a long period -- years -- of saying things to God that were blasphemous after the death of my wife. Part of me was trying to provoke Him. Not suicidally, mind you, I just wanted Him to yell "Enough!". I believe this was His response to me, because in it (and this is just a feeling now), God seemed to be giving me a very simple message, "I am God". It was Job-like, minus the sarcasm. And, that too brought tears to my eyes because I could not believe that, after all of the truck driver-esque things I yelled at Him, that that was His response... that simple, patient, gracious response. I was blown away. I said, "You're not gonna hit me with a truck? Give me testicular cancer?? That's it???" That was an answer, just not at all what I was thinking it would be. He used my passion to speak to me, and in a most wondrous way.

Unfortunately that extra understanding / perception has since left, never returning to the extent it was that night. I sometimes try to get my mind back into that state, but I can't get anywhere near where it was. The sky looks "flat" again.