Gay Reparative Therapy Ministry Closes: Exodus International Ends With This Letter

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

Alan Chamber's apology letter added as a reply to this thread below
link-->
http://christianchat.com/christian-...us-international-ends-letter.html#post1083651

The gay reparative therapy ministry Exodus International closed.
They left the following letter on their website.
Link---> Exodus International to Shut Down | Exodus International

Exodus International to Shut Down

JUNE 19, 2013 BY EXODUS INTERNATIONAL
Exodus International to Shut DownThirty-seven-year-old ministry for those with same-sex attraction marks its last national conference

Irvine, Calif. (June 19, 2013) — Exodus International, the oldest and largest Christian ministry dealing with faith and homosexuality announced tonight that it’s closing its doors after three-plus decades of ministry. The Board of Directors reached a decision after a year of dialogue and prayer about the organization’s place in a changing culture.

“We’re not negating the ways God used Exodus to positively affect thousands of people, but a new generation of Christians is looking for change – and they want to be heard,” Tony Moore, Board member of Exodus. The message came less than a day after Exodus released a statement apologizing(www.exodusinternational.org/apology) to the gay community for years of undue judgment by the organization and the Christian Church as a whole.

“Exodus is an institution in the conservative Christian world, but we’ve ceased to be a living, breathing organism,” said Alan Chambers, President of Exodus. “For quite some time we’ve been imprisoned in a worldview that’s neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical.”

Chambers continued: “From a Judeo-Christian perspective, gay, straight or otherwise, we’re all prodigal sons and daughters. Exodus International is the prodigal’s older brother, trying to impose its will on God’s promises, and make judgments on who’s worthy of His Kingdom. God is calling us to be the Father – to welcome everyone, to love unhindered.”

For these reasons, the Board of Directors unanimously voted to close Exodus International and begin a separate ministry. “This is a new season of ministry, to a new generation,” said Chambers. “Our goals are to reduce fear(reducefear.org), and come alongside churches to become safe, welcoming, and mutually transforming communities.”

Local affiliated ministries, which have always been autonomous, will continue, but not under the name or umbrella of Exodus.

Exodus President, Alan Chambers, is available for interviews.
For press credentials or to set up an interview, contact Amy Tracy at 407/808-9831 or 719/355-9075;[email protected].

For additional information and a schedule of activities, please go to http://www.exodusfreedom.org.
###

Last edited:

1still_waters

Alan Chambers wrote this apology letter.
Link--> http://exodusinternational.org/2013/06/i-am-sorry/

I Am Sorry

JUNE 19, 2013 BY ALAN CHAMBERS
Three years ago, Leslie and I began a very public conversation with Our America’s Lisa Ling, from the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) regarding some of our deeply held beliefs about Christianity and the LGBT community. Today, we have decided to carry this public conversation even further. While this conversation has and may well continue to be met with many different responses from supporters and critics, it is our desire to keep having these honest discussions in the hopes of arriving to a place of peace.

Several months ago, this conversation led me to call Lisa Ling to take another step on this messy journey. I asked if she would, once again, help us add to the unfolding story by covering my apology to the people who have been hurt by Exodus International. Our ministry has been public and therefore any acknowledgement of wrong must also be public. I haven’t always been the leader of Exodus, but I am now and someone must finally own and acknowledge the hurt of others. I do so anxiously, but willingly.

It is strange to be someone who has both been hurt by the church’s treatment of the LGBT community, and also to be someone who must apologize for being part of the very system of ignorance that perpetuated that hurt. Today it is as if I’ve just woken up to a greater sense of how painful it is to be a sinner in the hands of an angry church.

It is also strange to be an outcast from powerful portions of both the gay community and the Christian community. Because I do not completely agree with the vocal majorities in either group and am forging a new place of peaceful service in and through both, I will likely continue to be an outsider to some degree. I imagine it to be very much like a man I recently heard speak at a conference I attended, Father Elias Chacour, the Melkite Catholic Archbishop of Israel. He is an Arab Christian, Palestinian by birth, and a citizen of Israel. Talk about a walking contradiction. When I think of the tension of my situation I am comforted by the thought of him and his.

My desire is to completely align with Christ, his Good News for all and his offer of peace amidst the storms of life. My wife Leslie and my beliefs center around grace, the finished work of Christ on the cross and his offer of eternal relationship to any and all that believe. Our beliefs do not center on “sin” because “sin” isn’t at the center of our faith. Our journey hasn’t been about denying the power of Christ to do anything – obviously he is God and can do anything.

With that, here is an expanded version of the apology I offered during my recent interview with Lisa Ling to the people within the LGBTQ community who have been hurt by the Church, Exodus International, and me. I realize some within the communities for which I apologize will say I don’t have the right, as one man, to do so on their behalf. But if the Church is a body, with many members being connected to the whole, then I believe that what one of us does right we all do right, and what one of us does wrong we all do wrong. We have done wrong, and I stand with many others who now recognize the need to offer apologies and make things right. I believe this apology – however imperfect – is what God the Father would have me do.

To Members of the LGBTQ Community:

In 1993 I caused a four-car pileup. In a hurry to get to a friend’s house, I was driving when a bee started buzzing around the inside of my windshield. I hit the bee and it fell on the dashboard. A minute later it started buzzing again with a fury. Trying to swat it again I completely missed the fact that a city bus had stopped three cars in front of me. I also missed that those three cars were stopping, as well. Going 40 miles an hour I slammed into the car in front of me causing a chain reaction. I was injured and so were several others. I never intended for the accident to happen. I would never have knowingly hurt anyone. But I did. And it was my fault. In my rush to get to my destination, fear of being stung by a silly bee, and selfish distraction, I injured others.

I have no idea if any of the people injured in that accident have suffered long term effects. While I did not mean to hurt them, I did. The fact that my heart wasn’t malicious did not lessen their pain or their suffering. I am very sorry that I chose to be distracted that fall afternoon, and that I caused so much damage to people and property. If I could take it all back I absolutely would. But I cannot. I pray that everyone involved in the crash has been restored to health.

Recently, I have begun thinking again about how to apologize to the people that have been hurt by Exodus International through an experience or by a message. I have heard many firsthand stories from people called ex-gay survivors. Stories of people who went to Exodus affiliated ministries or ministers for help only to experience more trauma. I have heard stories of shame, sexual misconduct, and false hope. In every case that has been brought to my attention, there has been swift action resulting in the removal of these leaders and/or their organizations. But rarely was there an apology or a public acknowledgement by me.

And then there is the trauma that I have caused. There were several years that I conveniently omitted my ongoing same-sex attractions. I was afraid to share them as readily and easily as I do today. They brought me tremendous shame and I hid them in the hopes they would go away. Looking back, it seems so odd that I thought I could do something to make them stop. Today, however, I accept these feelings as parts of my life that will likely always be there. The days of feeling shame over being human in that way are long over, and I feel free simply accepting myself as my wife and family does. As my friends do. As God does.

Never in a million years would I intentionally hurt another person. Yet, here I sit having hurt so many by failing to acknowledge the pain some affiliated with Exodus International caused, and by failing to share the whole truth about my own story. My good intentions matter very little and fail to diminish the pain and hurt others have experienced on my watch. The good that we have done at Exodus is overshadowed by all of this.

Friends and critics alike have said it’s not enough to simply change our message or website. I agree. I cannot simply move on and pretend that I have always been the friend that I long to be today. I understand why I am distrusted and why Exodus is hated.

Please know that I am deeply sorry. I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn’t change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents. I am sorry that there were times I didn’t stand up to people publicly “on my side” who called you names like sodomite—or worse. I am sorry that I, knowing some of you so well, failed to share publicly that the gay and lesbian people I know were every bit as capable of being amazing parents as the straight people that I know. I am sorry that when I celebrated a person coming to Christ and surrendering their sexuality to Him that I callously celebrated the end of relationships that broke your heart. I am sorry that I have communicated that you and your families are less than me and mine.

More than anything, I am sorry that so many have interpreted this religious rejection by Christians as God’s rejection. I am profoundly sorry that many have walked away from their faith and that some have chosen to end their lives. For the rest of my life I will proclaim nothing but the whole truth of the Gospel, one of grace, mercy and open invitation to all to enter into an inseverable relationship with almighty God.

I cannot apologize for my deeply held biblical beliefs about the boundaries I see in scripture surrounding sex, but I will exercise my beliefs with great care and respect for those who do not share them. I cannot apologize for my beliefs about marriage. But I do not have any desire to fight you on your beliefs or the rights that you seek. My beliefs about these things will never again interfere with God’s command to love my neighbor as I love myself.

You have never been my enemy. I am very sorry that I have been yours. I hope the changes in my own life, as well as the ones we announce tonight regarding Exodus International, will bring resolution, and show that I am serious in both my regret and my offer of friendship. I pledge that future endeavors will be focused on peace and common good.

Moving forward, we will serve in our pluralistic culture by hosting thoughtful and safe conversations about gender and sexuality, while partnering with others to reduce fear, inspire hope, and cultivate human flourishing.

J

jerusalem

saul murdered and imprisoned many people before he was converted. he repentant and sorrowful but carried that with him throughout his ministry as paul. always know that in the Father's care an open door to forgiveness is waiying and He still use you in ministry in a powerful and positive way.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
This is just absolutely horrible! This ministry had certainly lost its way. What a shame.

Still doesn't change this eternal truth: homosexuality is a sin, and it will continue to be a sin whether Exodus International recognizes that or not.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Was the goal of this group to change people's sexual desires or to help them deal with denying those desires?

We ALL have sinful desires. Sexual and otherwise. We can't simply throw our hands in the air and say that those sinful desires if acted upon are no longer sin. More evidence we are truly in the end times.

Sep 8, 2012
My two cents about programs directed at one certain sin is that they are out of kilter.
They tend to move the soul only in a direction to concentrate on a certain fallibility.
So you can have people living their entire lives just to not do something.

Our sin nature is a spirit matter.
The Father of spirits has all authority, He has given it to Jesus.
Jesus changes the heart from the inside through transference of His righteous nature.
It's a new life based on the Agape mind of Jesus Christ, instead of trying to change the old one in our own power.

D

Daniel94

This is just absolutely horrible! This ministry had certainly lost its way. What a shame.

Still doesn't change this eternal truth: homosexuality is a sin, and it will continue to be a sin whether Exodus International recognizes that or not.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think you misunderstood the whole letter. Exodus wasn't saying that homosexuality isn't a sin. The way I understood the letter they were literally apologizing for the fact that they pushed the idea of being able to go from 100% gay to 100% straight, when in reality they knew they couldn't do it. If you look at the quote below he states that he still holds biblical values about this topic, but he isn't going to let his beliefs "interfere with God's command to love my neighbor as I love myself." No where is he saying homosexuality is not a sin. I also think that just bluntly saying homosexuality is a sin is wrong. If I'm not participating in any homosexual act then how am I in sin for something I can not control because as long as I am attracted to the same gender I am a homosexual. It is not my choice to be attracted to guys, but I am. I still don't see how Christians can still throw around the whole being gay is a choice idea. What person would choose to go through the depression, the hatred, the tears, the pain, the anger, and the fear?

I cannot apologize for my deeply held biblical beliefs about the boundaries I see in scripture surrounding sex, but I will exercise my beliefs with great care and respect for those who do not share them. I cannot apologize for my beliefs about marriage. But I do not have any desire to fight you on your beliefs or the rights that you seek. My beliefs about these things will never again interfere with God’s command to love my neighbor as I love myself.
Was the goal of this group to change people's sexual desires or to help them deal with denying those desires?

We ALL have sinful desires. Sexual and otherwise. We can't simply throw our hands in the air and say that those sinful desires if acted upon are no longer sin. More evidence we are truly in the end times.
Exodus operated on the idea that it could change a person from gay to straight. They pushed the idea that one could completely rid him/herself of having attractions to the same sex.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
Being gay IS a choice -- it's an addiction -- like alcoholism. With the help of God, anything is possible. The Lord can and will heal those who want to truly repent. Exodus International clearly had a change of heart -- they used to expound this truth. Anything is possible with God.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
D

Daniel94

Being gay IS a choice -- it's an addiction -- like alcoholism. With the help of God, anything is possible. The Lord can and will heal those who want to truly repent. Exodus International clearly had a change of heart -- they used to expound this truth. Anything is possible with God.
Just the sort of reply I was expecting. Anyways, when did you choose to be attracted to the opposite gender? When did you gain the ability to control your feelings? As soon as you have that ability then please be my guest and shout from the mountain that every possible thing in life is a choice. Now don't get me wrong I know life is all about choices, but I am absolutely irritated by people saying I chose to like guys. I didn't know what sex was at 12 let alone attraction and being gay. I'm not saying that being gay is 100% choice free, but the feelings are not a choice. Life is full of choices and I'm at a fork in the road. I can take the left road and immerse myself in the gay community. I can take the road in the middle and go through life hating myself and God and then either do one of two things, eventually take a detour to that left road or keep following that middle road until I fall off the cliff at the end of it. My third option is to take the right road and get God to help me tackle these feelings. Now as long as you keep sitting there behind your computer telling others how something you have NEVER(and I'm making an assumption here, if I am wrong I apologize) dealt with is a choice, which road do you think I'm headed for? I'll give you a hint and it's the first one. Honestly, I've hated myself enough for the last 6 years and I've already avoided that cliff one too many times so the middle is no longer an option. The last road seems less like an option with each passing day. Basically what I'm trying to get across is that feelings are not choices, but our reactions to those feelings are.

You're right that the Lord can heal those who want to truly repent and I admitted being gay was sin to myself and God. I asked God to help rid me of these feelings, but to no avail I'm still 100% attracted to guys. I wasn't expecting anything to happen overnight, but I still haven't changed the slightest.

I'm proud of Exodus for having a change of heart. You're 100% right that anything is possible with GOD, however it is not with man. In my opinion Exodus was playing God, by spouting out false information of their 100% gay to straight therapy. Even the president of it couldn't go completely straight. Basically he was lying to the world about what he accomplished. Basically he was leading others to lie about what they too accomplished. If you think that was a Godly ministry then I think you need to reread your Bible. God inform us not to lie.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
Well, I guess I look at it like a disease. Like alcoholism, the urge is always there, at least initially, after sobriety. But I do know that over time, one can completely overcome the urge. It may take a long time, but groups like Exodus used to be, helped men and women learn to cope with those urges and eventually rid them. I am fully convinced it CAN be done. I've seen it.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
EFFEMINACY and confusion about gender have, as well as our fallen sinful condition...have been ADDED TO BOTH OUR CULTURAL 'VALUES' AND OUR BIOLOGY by the bad guys.

this is not an excuse, but it may help homosexuals know this is NOT natural; it's not God's way; but He does see what evil schemes reprobate men have devised. God has compassion.

cry out, repent of homosexuality, like all our lusts and sins.
He forgives, and He strengthens to overcome. it make take a lifetime.
but Jesus is faithful.
if we continue to struggle and go to Him for help, and confess our sins, He is faithful.

TRUST GOD.

DO NOT TRUST MEN.

Charles Galton Darwin and the Huxleys; and George Orwell, HG Wells....these guys had meetings.
they came to consensus on their agendas and are going forward.

Galton's THE NEXT MILLION YEARS describes how the elite (them) would add female hormones (estrogen) to the food and water supply, and BY INJECTION if necessary....to make men effeminate. this would make them more docile, and unable to rebel and fight against the coming New System.

1ef·fem·i·nate adjective \-nət\

Definition of EFFEMINATE

: having feminine qualities untypical of a man : not manly in appearance or manner
Webster

this has been accomplished.

Charles Galton Darwin, the author of "The Next Million Years," was a physicist and eugenicist and the grandson of Charles Darwin. Published in 1952, Mr. Darwin's book is amazingly prescient about what the next fifty years would bring: energy shortage (oil), food shortage, and the "pressures" of overpopulation. While the author speculates what the remedies can or might be implemented for resolution of these problems, Mr. Darwin is primarily interested in the essential problem - Man -- and how his essential problematic human nature can be perfected from the wild animal that he is to one that is controlled and perfected so as to reach his or her maximum effectiveness in a world of limited resources. Thus, it is not until Chapter VIII of this 11-chaptered work that the general dullness and mechanical verbal probity of the rhetoric disappears and the reader is palpably confronted with a horrifying but superficially scientific creed which asserts that inheritable wealth comes from the inherited ability of successful and wealthy families, and that because these wealthy familes, generation after generation, have proven themselves "successful" because of their consistent "success" through time, they, therefore, must be of superior intelligence and ability over the rest of mankind, and, concomitantly, these families, and the individual members of these families, alone are fit to be the elite and to rule over and control the rest of the human race.

Charles Galton Darwin foresees a future in which human beings are farmed and bred like animal stock (page 184), each to a specialized purpose (including the use of drugs and artificial use of hormones to remove the sexual desire out of "inferior" human beings), completeley controlled by the so-called successful elite. In this new creed, it will be necessary to revise the old doctrine of the sanctity of the individual human life as well and to create policies that would allow the very unlucky in life (including babies) not to survive and not selfishly waste limited, precious, natural resources needed by the functional upper classes.

The author concludes, presciently as well, that China will be the civilization emblematic of the future the elite are planning as it not only has endured for century after century, longer than the Roman Empire, but the very way of life in China, socially crowded and politically cowed, is a good paradigm for what the future of the entire world shall broadly look like in the 21st century with its provinces, dynasties, and collectivism spearheaded under one central head or world government owned and run by future descendants of the Darwin family and other "successful" familes in addition.

review - Amazon

know your ELITE FAMILY NAMES, folks > same bunch to day (Monsanto et al)

The Next Million Years by Charles Galton Darwin

One of the principal architects of world humanism in this century was Julian Huxley, biologist and grandson of Thomas Huxley. As first director general of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), which is the body that attempts to monitor, if not control, all that enters the human mind. Julian Huxley in his framework policy included the following aim:

Thus the general philosophy of UNESCO should it seems, be a scientific world humanism, global in extent and evolutionary in background. Evolution in the broad sense denotes all the historical processes of change and development at work in the universe. It is divisible into three very different sectors: the inorganic or lifeless, the organic or biological, and the social or human (J. Huxley 1976, 16). [5]

earthemporer.com

Jun 30, 2011
'Gay cure' Christian ministry shuts down as leader apologises and admits he's attracted to men

Exodus International president Alan Chambers says he is 'deeply sorry' for hurt caused to homosexual people

STEVE ANDERSON FRIDAY 21 JUNE 2013

'Gay cure' Christian ministry shuts down as leader apologises and admits he's attracted to men - Americas - World - The Independent

Sounds like this guy was getting accused by Satan, reminded him of his past, and has forgotten the grace and freedom of Christ - sad