Genesis one

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
https://ilearnaboutthebible.blogspot.com/

Matthew 23:29

Woe

Οὐαὶ (Ouai)

Interjection

Strong's 3759: Woe!, alas!, uttered in grief or denunciation. A primary exclamation of grief; 'woe'.

to you,

ὑμῖν (hymin)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 2nd Person Plural

Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

scribes

γραμματεῖς (grammateis)

Noun - Vocative Masculine Plural

Strong's 1122: From gramma. A writer, i.e. scribe or secretary.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

Pharisees,

Φαρισαῖοι (Pharisaioi)

Strong's 5330: Of Hebrew origin; a separatist, i.e. Exclusively religious; a Pharisean, i.e. Jewish sectary.

you hypocrites!

ὑποκριταί (hypokritai)

Strong's 5273: From hupokrinomai; an actor under an assumed character, i.e. a dissembler

You build

οἰκοδομεῖτε (oikodomeite)

Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Plural

Strong's 3618: From the same as oikodome; to be a house-builder, i.e. Construct or confirm.

tombs

τάφους (taphous)

Noun - Accusative Masculine Plural

Strong's 5028: A burial-place, sepulcher, tomb, grave. Masculine from thapto; a grave.

for the

τῶν (tōn)

Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

prophets

προφητῶν (prophētōn)

Noun - Genitive Masculine Plural

Strong's 4396: From a compound of pro and phemi; a foreteller; by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

decorate

κοσμεῖτε (kosmeite)

Strong's 2885: To put into order; I decorate, deck, adorn. From kosmos; to put in proper order, i.e. Decorate; specially, to snuff.

the

τὰ (ta)

Article - Accusative Neuter Plural

Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

monuments

μνημεῖα (mnēmeia)

Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural

Strong's 3419: A tomb, sepulcher, monument. From mneme; a remembrance, i.e. Cenotaph.

of the

τῶν (tōn)

righteous.

δικαίων (dikaiōn)

Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural

Strong's 1342: From dike; equitable; by implication, innocent, holy.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021

Matthew 23:30

And

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

you say,

λέγετε (legete)

Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

‘If

Εἰ (Ei)

Conjunction

Strong's 1487: If. A primary particle of conditionality; if, whether, that, etc.

we had lived

ἤμεθα (ēmetha)

Verb - Imperfect Indicative Middle - 1st Person Plural

Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

in

ἐν (en)

Preposition

Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

the

ταῖς (tais)

Article - Dative Feminine Plural

days

ἡμέραις (hēmerais)

Noun - Dative Feminine Plural

Strong's 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

of our

ἡμῶν (hēmōn)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 1st Person Plural

Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

fathers,

πατέρων (paterōn)

Strong's 3962: Father, (Heavenly) Father, ancestor, elder, senior. Apparently a primary word; a 'father'.

we would not have been

ἤμεθα (ēmetha)

Verb - Imperfect Indicative Middle - 1st Person Plural

Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

partners

κοινωνοὶ (koinōnoi)

Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 2844: A sharer, partner, companion. From koinos; a sharer, i.e. Associate.

with them

αὐτῶν (autōn)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Plural

Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

in [shedding]

ἐν (en)

Preposition

Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

the

τῷ (tō)

Article - Dative Neuter Singular

blood

αἵματι (haimati)

Noun - Dative Neuter Singular

Strong's 129: Blood, literally, figuratively or specially; by implication, bloodshed, also kindred.

of the

τῶν (tōn)

prophets.’

προφητῶν (prophētōn)

Strong's 4396: From a compound of pro and phemi; a foreteller; by analogy, an inspired speaker; by extension, a poet.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021

Matthew 23:31

So

ὥστε (hōste)

Conjunction

Strong's 5620: So that, therefore, so then, so as to. From hos and te; so too, i.e. Thus therefore.

you testify

μαρτυρεῖτε (martyreite)

Strong's 3140: To witness, bear witness, give evidence, testify, give a good report. From martus; to be a witness, i.e. Testify.

against yourselves

ἑαυτοῖς (heautois)

Reflexive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

Strong's 1438: Himself, herself, itself.

that

ὅτι (hoti)

Conjunction

Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

you are

ἐστε (este)

[the] sons

υἱοί (huioi)

Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

of those

τῶν (tōn)

who murdered

φονευσάντων (phoneusantōn)

Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Genitive Masculine Plural

Strong's 5407: To murder, kill. From phoneus; to be a murderer.

the

τοὺς (tous)

Article - Accusative Masculine Plural

prophets.

προφήτας (prophētas)

JLG

Nov 4, 2021

Matthew 23:32

Fill up,

πληρώσατε (plērōsate)

Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Plural

Strong's 4137: From pleres; to make replete, i.e. to cram, level up, or to furnish, satisfy, execute, finish, verify, etc.

then,

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

the

τὸ (to)

Article - Accusative Neuter Singular

measure

μέτρον (metron)

Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular

Strong's 3358: An apparently primary word; a measure, literally or figuratively; by implication, a limited portion.

of

τῶν (tōn)

your

ὑμῶν (hymōn)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Plural

fathers’ [sins].

πατέρων (paterōn)

Strong's 3962: Father, (Heavenly) Father, ancestor, elder, senior. Apparently a primary word; a 'father'.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021

Matthew 23:33

You snakes!

ὄφεις (opheis)

Strong's 3789: Probably from optanomai; a snake, figuratively, an artful malicious person, especially Satan.

You brood

γεννήματα (gennēmata)

Noun - Vocative Neuter Plural

Strong's 1081: Offspring, child, fruit. From gennao; offspring; by analogy, produce.

of vipers!

ἐχιδνῶν (echidnōn)

Noun - Genitive Feminine Plural

Strong's 2191: A serpent, snake, viper. Of uncertain origin; an adder or other poisonous snake.

How

πῶς (pōs)

Adverb

Strong's 4459: Adverb from the base of pou; an interrogative particle of manner; in what way?; also as exclamation, how much!

will you escape

φύγητε (phygēte)

Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 2nd Person Plural

Strong's 5343: To flee, escape, shun. Apparently a primary verb; to run away; by implication, to shun; by analogy, to vanish.

the

τῆς (tēs)

Article - Genitive Feminine Singular

sentence

κρίσεως (kriseōs)

Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular

Strong's 2920: Decision; by extension, a tribunal; by implication, justice.

of hell?

γεέννης (geennēs)

Strong's 1067: Of Hebrew origin; valley of Hinnom; ge-henna, a valley of Jerusalem, used as a name for the place of everlasting punishment.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021

Matthew 23:34

Because of

Διὰ (Dia)

Preposition

Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

this,

τοῦτο (touto)

Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Singular

Strong's 3778: This; he, she, it.

I

ἐγὼ (egō)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 1st Person Singular

Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

am sending

ἀποστέλλω (apostellō)

Verb - Present Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular

Strong's 649: From apo and stello; set apart, i.e. to send out literally or figuratively.

you

ὑμᾶς (hymas)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 2nd Person Plural

prophets

προφήτας (prophētas)

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

wise [men]

σοφοὺς (sophous)

Adjective - Accusative Masculine Plural

Strong's 4680: Wise, learned, cultivated, skilled, clever. Akin to saphes; wise.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

teachers.

γραμματεῖς (grammateis)

Strong's 1122: From gramma. A writer, i.e. scribe or secretary.

Some of

ἐξ (ex)

Preposition

Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

them

αὐτῶν (autōn)

Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

you will kill

ἀποκτενεῖτε (apokteneite)

Verb - Future Indicative Active - 2nd Person Plural

Strong's 615: To put to death, kill; fig: I abolish. From apo and kteino; to kill outright; figuratively, to destroy.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

crucify,

σταυρώσετε (staurōsete)

Strong's 4717: From stauros; to impale on the cross; figuratively, to extinguish passion or selfishness.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

[others]

αὐτῶν (autōn)

you will flog

μαστιγώσετε (mastigōsete)

Strong's 3146: To flog, scourge, the victim being strapped to a pole or frame; met: I chastise. From mastix; to flog.

in

ἐν (en)

Preposition

your

ὑμῶν (hymōn)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Plural

synagogues

συναγωγαῖς (synagōgais)

Noun - Dative Feminine Plural

Strong's 4864: From sunago; an assemblage of persons; specially, a Jewish 'synagogue'; by analogy, a Christian church.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

persecute

διώξετε (diōxete)

Strong's 1377: To pursue, hence: I persecute. A prolonged form of a primary verb dio; to pursue; by implication, to persecute.

in

ἀπὸ (apo)

Preposition

Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

town

πόλεως (poleōs)

Strong's 4172: A city, the inhabitants of a city. Probably from the same as polemos, or perhaps from polus; a town.

after

εἰς (eis)

Preposition

Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

town.

πόλιν (polin)

Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular

Strong's 4172: A city, the inhabitants of a city. Probably from the same as polemos, or perhaps from polus; a town.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021

Matthew 23:35

And so

ὅπως (hopōs)

Conjunction

Strong's 3704: From hos and pos; what(-ever) how, i.e. In the manner that (as adverb or conjunction of coincidence, intentional or actual).

upon

ἐφ’ (eph’)

Preposition

Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

you

ὑμᾶς (hymas)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 2nd Person Plural

will come

ἔλθῃ (elthē)

Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Singular

Strong's 2064: To come, go.

all

πᾶν (pan)

Adjective - Nominative Neuter Singular

Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

[the] righteous

δίκαιον (dikaion)

Adjective - Nominative Neuter Singular

blood

αἷμα (haima)

Noun - Nominative Neuter Singular

Strong's 129: Blood, literally, figuratively or specially; by implication, bloodshed, also kindred.

shed

ἐκχυννόμενον (ekchynnomenon)

Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Neuter Singular

Strong's 1632: Or ekchuno ek-khoo'-no from ek and cheo; to pour forth; figuratively, to bestow.

on

ἐπὶ (epi)

Preposition

earth,

γῆς (gēs)

Strong's 1093: Contracted from a primary word; soil; by extension a region, or the solid part or the whole of the terrene globe.

from

ἀπὸ (apo)

Preposition

Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

the

τοῦ (tou)

Article - Genitive Neuter Singular

blood

αἵματος (haimatos)

Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular

of

τοῦ (tou)

Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

righteous

δικαίου (dikaiou)

Adjective - Genitive Masculine Singular

Abel

Ἅβελ (Habel)

Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular

Strong's 6: Abel, second son of Adam and Eve, brother of Cain. Of Hebrew origin; Abel, the son of Adam.

to

ἕως (heōs)

Preposition

Strong's 2193: A conjunction, preposition and adverb of continuance, until.

the

τοῦ (tou)

blood

αἵματος (haimatos)

of Zechariah

Ζαχαρίου (Zachariou)

Strong's 2197: Of Hebrew origin; Zacharias, the name of two Israelites.

son

υἱοῦ (huiou)

Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

of Berekiah,

Βαραχίου (Barachiou)

Strong's 914: Of Hebrew origin; Barachias, an Israelite.

whom

ὃν (hon)

Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Masculine Singular

Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

you murdered

ἐφονεύσατε (ephoneusate)

Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 2nd Person Plural

Strong's 5407: To murder, kill. From phoneus; to be a murderer.

between

μεταξὺ (metaxy)

Preposition

Strong's 3342: Meanwhile, afterwards, between. From meta and a form of sun; betwixt; as adjective, intervening, or adjoining.

the

τοῦ (tou)

Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

temple

ναοῦ (naou)

Strong's 3485: A temple, a shrine, that part of the temple where God himself resides. From a primary naio; a fane, shrine, temple.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

the

τοῦ (tou)

altar.

θυσιαστηρίου (thysiastēriou)

Strong's 2379: An altar (for sacrifice). From a derivative of thusia; a place of sacrifice, i.e. An altar.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021

Matthew 23:36

Truly

ἀμὴν (amēn)

Hebrew Word

Strong's 281: Of Hebrew origin; properly, firm, i.e. trustworthy; adverbially, surely.

I tell

λέγω (legō)

Verb - Present Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular

Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

you,

ὑμῖν (hymin)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 2nd Person Plural

all

πάντα (panta)

Adjective - Nominative Neuter Plural

Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

these things

ταῦτα (tauta)

Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Plural

will come

ἥξει (hēxei)

Verb - Future Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular

Strong's 2240: To have come, be present, have arrived. A primary verb; to arrive, i.e. Be present.

upon

ἐπὶ (epi)

Preposition

this

ταύτην (tautēn)

Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Feminine Singular

generation.

γενεὰν (genean)

Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular

Strong's 1074: From genos; a generation; by implication, an age.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
14) About women in the Bible

Genesis Chapter 19: 30-38

- Lot lives with his two daughters in a mountainous region!

- His two daughters want to give their father descendants!

- Thus they make him drink and have sex with him

- Finally, they get pregnant!

- Their children became fathers of the Moabites and the Ammonites!

- They are bad examples in the Bible!

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Who were the Moabites?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Moabite

Moabite, member of a West-Semitic people who lived in the highlands east of the Dead Sea (now in west-central Jordan) and flourished in the 9th century bc. They are known principally through information given in the Old Testament and from the inscription on the Moabite Stone. The Moabites’ culture is dated by scholars from about the late 14th century bc to 582 bc, when, according to the Jewish historian Josephus (1st century ad), they were conquered by the Babylonians.

In Old Testament accounts (e.g., Genesis 19:30–38), the Moabites belonged to the same ethnic stock as the Israelites. Their ancestral founder was Moab, a son of Lot, who was a nephew of the Israelite patriarch Abraham. The god-protector of their nation was Chemosh, just as Yahweh was the national God of the Israelites. The Moabites were in conflict with the Israelites from the 13th century. They are noted several times in the Old Testament. King Saul of Israel in the 11th century fought against the Moabites (1 Samuel 14:47), who later granted asylum to the family of the young rebel and future king David (1 Samuel 22:3–4). David in turn fought against the Moabites and forced them to pay heavy tribute (2 Samuel 8:2). David’s great-grandmother, Ruth, was a Moabite (Ruth 4:17–22), and his son Solomon, as a sign of his authority, obtained Moabite princesses for his harem (1 Kings 11:1–8) and erected near Jerusalem a shrine dedicated to Chemosh.
King Omri of Israel (reigned c. 884–c. 872 bc), who is mentioned in 1 Kings 16:23–28, reconquered Moabite lands that had been lost since Solomon’s death in 922 bc, when Israel split into two kingdoms. Omri’s reconquest is known from the Moabite Stone, a stela that the Moabite king Mesha erected about 40 years later in the city of Dibon (modern Dhiban, Jordan). This black basalt stone, 1.1 m (44 inches) high, was discovered at Dhiban in 1868 and is now in the Louvre Museum in Paris. The stone’s text of 34 lines, written in a Canaanite alphabet similar to contemporary Hebrew, is the only written document of any length that survives from Moab and the only royal stela known from Israel’s neighbours. In its inscription, Mesha (fl. c. 870 bc) tells of King Omri’s reconquest of Moab and ascribes the renewed Israelite domination over Moab to the anger of Chemosh. Mesha then describes his own successful rebellion against Israel, which probably occurred during the reign of Omri’s successor, Ahab.
Moab had become a tributary of Assyria by the late 8th century bc and was conquered by the Babylonians in 582 bc, upon which the Moabites disappeared from history. Their territory was resettled by the Nabataeans in the 4th–3rd century bc.
The Moabite language differed only dialectally from Hebrew, and Moabite religion and culture were very closely related to those of the Israelites. Nevertheless, Moabites were excluded from the Jewish community (Deuteronomy 23:3–6), where the name Moab became a typical denomination for the enemies of God (Isaiah 25:10).

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
Who were the Ammonites?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Ammonite

Ammonite, any member of an ancient Semitic people whose principal city was Rabbath Ammon, in Palestine. The “sons of Ammon” were in perennial, though sporadic, conflict with the Israelites. After a long period of seminomadic existence, the Ammonites established a kingdom north of Moab in the 13th century bc. With difficulty, their fortress capital was captured by Israel’s King David. An Ammonite woman, one of many foreigners taken into Israel’s King Solomon’s harem, was responsible for inducing the king to worship the Ammonite god Malcom.
During the reign of Jehoiakim (6th century bc), the Ammonites allied themselves with the Chaldeans, Syrians, and others in an attack on Judah and also harassed the Israelites when they attempted to rebuild the Temple of Jerusalem after the Babylonian Exile. In the 2nd century bc they were defeated by Judas Maccabeus.

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
15) About women in the Bible

Genesis Chapter 20

- Abimelech gets Abraham’s wife, Sarah!

- Abraham tells him she is his sister!

- In fact, she is his half sister!

- She is beautiful and Abraham is afraid of being killed because of her!

- Kings have always tried to get beautiful women!

- Women were considered as merchandise!

- Today, we can say the same about powerful men!

- We can probably say the same with powerful women!

- When you have power, you think you can get whatever you want!

JLG

Nov 4, 2021
16) About women in the Bible

Genesis Chapter 21

- Sarah gets pregnant!

- In Chapter 17, Yah.weh makes the promise to Abraham that he will get a son from Sarah, his wife!

- It makes Abraham laugh!

- He can’t believe it because he is 100 and Sarah is 90!

- In Chapter 18, Yah.weh repeats his promise to Abraham who laughs!

- He thinks they are too old and Sarah can’t get pregnant!

- When Sarah hears about it, she laughs too!

- She thinks like her husband!

- When she gets pregnant, she thinks everybody will laugh at her!

- Reputation is more important than having a child!