German Russian Borscht with the Thanksgiving tu

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2011
Did you throw out the Thanksgiving turkey bones? I hope not, it is the best part of the turkey!

It makes wonderful stock, especially if you had cooked the turkey with sage dressing. I simmer it slowly for a long time with a little beef and vegetables like carrots, onions, and celery. Strain this and save any meat from the bones, tossing out the vegetables. If you cool it well so you can get any fat off the top it is low calorie. This broth needs to be simmered with a tablespoon of pickling spices. Wrap the pickling spices in net or muslin so you can take them out.

You can use this as a basis for any soup, but our family was Germans from the Black Sea area in Russia. We make our own version of Borscht out of it.

There are three red vegetables and three white ones. To be proper, the vegetables need to be cut in the long narrow strips called julienne. I don’t have the patience or the tools.

The reds are: tomato, carrots, and beets,
The whites are: sauerkraut, cabbage, and potatoes.

The exact proportions of each isn’t very important, but don’t overpower it with the strong tasting sauerkraut. A whole can is usually too much, but it needs some sauerkraut.

Besides salt and pepper, dill is the main seasoning needed. The fun part is tasting and deciding how you want to season it. I usually put some fresh pickling spices in, again wrapping them so they can be removed. Sometimes I add just a touch more sage, but it is very easy to ruin the soup with too much sage. It needs just a hint.

Add the meat in and serve it with sour cream. If you beat an egg yolk into the sour cream it will partially cook on the top of the hot soup and be thicker.

J

jkalyna

:p:) YES REDTENT THE BONES ARE IN THE TRASH. I LOVE YOUR RECIPE FOR SOUP STOCK WITH IT THOUGH. I HAD BORCHT EVERY SINGLE DAY LIVING AND GROWING UP AT HOME. OF COURSE WITH A PIECE OF RUSSIAN BLACK BREAD. I WILL TRY THE RECIEPE. BORSCHT AND MORE BORSCHT. NEVER GOT TIRED OF IT. ALWAYS WELCOME A HOT BOWL OF BORSHT. THERE WAS SOME GERMAN RECEIPES MY FAMILY ESPECIALLY THE STEP DAD MADE ALL THE TIME. STAR BEST FISH, HE CALLED IT, DON'T KNOW IF IT REALLY WAS NAMED THAT, BUT HE WOULD SKIN THE FISH, AND BELIEVE ME IT TOOK A WHILE, THEN DEBONED IT, AND STUFFED ALL THE FISH MEAT BACK INTO IT AND FRIED IT. WEIRD OR WHAT, BUT LOL THAT'S THE FISH STORY. :):p