Get a Date by Valentines Day

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eric135

So, I'm 21 and been pretty shy my whole life. Because of that, I've never dated. As of late though, I've been becoming less shy and more self confident. In the last 4-5 months, I started attending church again, going out more with friends, and pushing myself to talk to people I normally wouldn't. A good example is I make small talk with cashiers when I used to just give them money and leave, I compliment people randomly in hopes of cheering up their day, and I've started random conversations about something I observe people doing (reading a book, looking bored, drinking coffee, etc.).

After doing all this, my main goal was to ask a girl out, but I still haven't. I did talk to one girl I liked, but her being just as shy as me, and being my first time doing this, made it a little awkward for both of us (although knowing I had the confidence to talk to her felt great afterward). That was almost two months ago, and since then I actually started reverting back to my older ways. I recently noticed this, and I've decided to put my foot down and set a goal of getting a date by valentines day, even if I have to ask every girl I can find the day before.

I decided I'd make this thread for a few reasons. One is so I could update it as to how I'm doing (which gives me some accountability) and the other is to challenge any other single people that are going through the same situation. Whether or not you have dated before, I want to challenge you to get a date by Valentines day, which gives us exactly 2 weeks (more than enough time) to do it.

If you are a girl and don't feel right initiating conversation, maybe just go to a bookstore, coffee shop, church, or anywhere that allows you to be alone, relaxed, and open to a guy approaching you (Being alone will raise your chances A LOT). If most guys saw a cute girl alone, and another cute girl talking with her friend, they would ask out the alone one. We're already nervous enough, and when you are with a friend, it feels like we have to impress, and will be judged by, two people instead of one (Even if you are both nice, guys tend to over-analyze and see the worst scenario happening).

Aside from that, I think it's a good goal to set for yourself. Even if you end up being single on Valentines day, you can at least know you tried and have the courage and confidence to continue forward.

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Don't put pressure on yourself mate... Look for someone you can marry rather than focussing on finding a date by that time.

M

Madorno

Way to put yourself out there. I think its tough to do that. Im thinking about taking your challenge. The only problem is that I don't really know where to meet people. My church is extra small and the only guy i could date, i did (BIG mistake). I also dont have a car so that makes transportation difficult. However, I can find my way to a a local borders via bus, so I guess I'l take your suggestion and just sit there one day and try to look cute.

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

Don't put pressure on yourself mate... Look for someone you can marry rather than focussing on finding a date by that time.

He's right, because finding someone to marry is much less stressful then just finding someone to date...... :rolleyes:

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Mmmm... was referring to the timeframe... But yes you are right. lol

E

eric135

Finding someone to date leads to finding someone to marry. Dating is just learning how compatible you are with someone. For people like me, it takes these types of set goals to push yourself to start something and overcome anxiety. I don't see how it's a bad thing.