But it was the Spirit who first initiated an organization where in they were first called Christians. Oh, but you say 'that's different', or I don't seem to recall the Apostle correcting himself for joining an organization called "the way"?When I lived in Israel I fell in with a group that turned out to be a cult. Since I did not know anyone there I sought the help of an elderly woman who had been a missionary to the Arabs with her husband for 45 years. Both had been trained originally by a ministry that had been started started by the British superstar of cricket C. T. Studd. who was known for giving up fame and fortune to become a missionary to primitive African tribes.
The elderly people I moved in with, the Stevensons, had also been a part of the movement started by Studd and they reflected his intense and total dedication to Christ. They told me that the language Studd used when describing his devotion to Christ often offended other Church groups. For instance, Studd once said he was like some British war hero who commented that he "gave not a d____" for anyone or anything, save only England." Studd then said he gave not a d____ for anyone or anything but only Christ. For this reason, Studd's missionaries often called themselves G.N.D.ers (which very much offended many Christians).
The Stevensons - were very much into prayer, not passive formulaic prayer but sustained intense intercession. Sometimes, Brother Stevenson would stop discussing things and say suddenly "I don't think we should talk very long but what we should pray" and we would all bury our faces in the furniture and being very "exercised in spirit" Brother Stevenson, would cry out "Oh mighty God, Oh mighty God...." I remember one time when he was asked to give thanks for a meal he began asking God for another Pentecost (he was not Pentecostal BTW). Then he changed direction and said "Oh we don't want another Pentecost. We just want you"
Everywhere Stevenson went things happened. His encounters with people at the bank or while carrying our errands would turn into evangelical missions. My point in all this is that the Spirit does not dwell in Church organizations or denominations but in the members of His body.
Thank God for all like Stevenson, and for institutions that wish to conduct themselves orderly. Could some Pentecostals be considered a cult? Not the upper room hearts that celebrate that event and the resulting order He now expects of us.