God and Money

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 7, 2013
Did god intend for us to be so dependent on Money?

Is it written how much control over us money has? The things people will do if they don't have it? The economic collapse Due to debt?

Did god foresee how greedy we would eventually become and what money would turn us into?

As an atheist I had no idea how difficult life would be when I grew up. I just assumed I'd get myself a good
Job, nice house, nice car and I'd be fine. That was my incentive to educate myself and get a good job.

However I'm still living from payday to payday with nothing left over. Things remain unpaid sometimes but the plates are just about still spinning.

As a believer were you better prepared for this? Did you know it was coming?

Jul 27, 2011
God never intended for us to be dependent on nothing, or no body, beside Him. If God intended for us to be dependent on any thing beside Him, that would be intending us into idle worship. I think God intends for us to be dependent on Him and Him only.

T

tdawg23

God never intended for us to be dependent on nothing, or no body, beside Him. If God intended for us to be dependent on any thing beside Him, that would be intending us into idle worship. I think God intends for us to be dependent on Him and Him only.
Indeed, God wants us to trust Him in every area for all of our needs. We were created to love Him with our own free will. As children of His, we should always have an abundant life, lacking nothing. Jesus said, I came so you would have life and have it more abundantly. His streets are paved with gold, if we trust God, there is no reason for worry about finances.

O

OwenHeidenreich

Indeed, God wants us to trust Him in every area for all of our needs. We were created to love Him with our own free will. As children of His, we should always have an abundant life, lacking nothing. Jesus said, I came so you would have life and have it more abundantly. His streets are paved with gold, if we trust God, there is no reason for worry about finances.
Which is the reason for not needing to spend money on doctors dentists and insurance, if you trust in God then you do not need that stuff. If you don't trust in God, then keep spending money on it.

A

AmberGardner

However I'm still living from payday to payday with nothing left over. Things remain unpaid sometimes but the plates are just about still spinning.

Yes! This world is based on a money system, which CAUSES poverty. Only a few can be rich and it's at the expense of others.

Luke 16:13 "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."
You hate one or the other. God or money.

Genesis 47:15 When the money of the people of Egypt and Canaan was gone, all Egypt came to Joseph and said, "Give us food. Why should we die before your eyes? Our money is all gone."
1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
Matthew 6:31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.
33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Yes, Christians are prepared for a life of less materialism.

Luke 18:22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
Hebrews 13:5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
Sharing is the way it should be. Watching out for our neighbors is love.

Acts 4:33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God's grace was so powerfully at work in them all
34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales
35 and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Mammon is a term that Jesus sometimes used to denote wealth. He was not the only teacher in Israel to use it, and whenever it is used it seems to indicate some unworthy aspect of people's attitude toward it.

The basic problem is that people idolize monetary wealth and serve it rather than God. Service of mammon and service of God are mutually exclusive. The servant of mammon, in other words, is an idol worshiper: mammon, wealth, money has become an idol... the object of their worship, heart's desire, and service.

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
here is a "trick question" put these three things in order of most importance,,,,,

(1) job,employement

(2) family

(3)god

Last edited:
A

AmberGardner

Money is evil and the Bible refers to it as unrighteous and filthy lucre.

1 Peter 5:2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; - kjv
Titus 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; - kjv
1 Timothy 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
Luke 16:9 And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth, so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal dwellings. - esv
Luke 16:11 If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? - esv

Jun 7, 2013
here is a "trick question" put these three things in order of most importance,,,,,

(1) job,employement

(2) family

(3)god
Well, all due respect, my family is first and foremost.

Second would be my job because without that it would be harder to provide for my family. I don't work for wealth, I work to support and feed my family.

I hope no right minded person here puts god before their kids.

A

AmberGardner

I don't work for wealth, I work to support and feed my family.
1 Timothy 5:8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Jun 7, 2013
1 Timothy 5:8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
Well that just about sums up my town. Lazy selfish wastes of breath who would rather sit around the house all day while I go to work and pay for their unemployment benefit out of my taxes, knowing it will be spent on alcohol or drugs. Scum.

A

AgeofKnowledge

That's the other side of the coin. True. Neither is desirable.

Well that just about sums up my town. Lazy selfish wastes of breath who would rather sit around the house all day while I go to work and pay for their unemployment benefit out of my taxes, knowing it will be spent on alcohol or drugs. Scum.

john832

May 31, 2013

Is it written how much control over us money has? The things people will do if they don't have it? The economic collapse Due to debt?

Did god foresee how greedy we would eventually become and what money would turn us into?

As an atheist I had no idea how difficult life would be when I grew up. I just assumed I'd get myself a good
Job, nice house, nice car and I'd be fine. That was my incentive to educate myself and get a good job.

Mat 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Mat 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Mat 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
Mat 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
Mat 6:29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Mat 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Mat 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Mat 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Psa 37:1 A Psalm of David. Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.
Psa 37:2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb.
Psa 37:3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
Psa 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Psa 37:5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

1Ti 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
1Ti 6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
1Ti 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Php 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
Php 4:12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Jas 5:1 Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.
Jas 5:2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.
Jas 5:3 Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.
Jas 5:4 Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth.
Jas 5:5 Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth, and been wanton; ye have nourished your hearts, as in a day of slaughter.
Jas 5:6 Ye have condemned and killed the just; and he doth not resist you.
Jas 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.
Jas 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

The Bible speaks to this in copious amounts.

Nov 26, 2012
I would disagree that we are dependant on money. It is the love for things that money will buy that enslave us. You can live in cave if you want. John the Baptist lived in the wilderness, wore shabby clothes and ate locusts and wild honey. According to Christ there was no man greater than John. People choose to walk in the flesh and invest their time and money in worldly wealth. Christ calls us to walk in the Spirit. No money required. Jesus was essentially homeless during His ministry. If you want to be less dependant on money, budget. Spending money you don't have is just stupid and ungodly.

Jul 18, 2013

hahaha welcome to the real world buddy. i am myself unemployed. would love to have my own lil place paid for so i could have total independence from the system. dont see that happening though unless i win the lottery. it sucks i tell ya.