God before all

• Thread starter TwilightSparkle
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TwilightSparkle

So I've been missing church for the past month because for the past few Sundays I've had family events non stop from parties to graduations. And I love going to church, I'm getting frustrated with not being able to go. My parents almost enforce that idea of family first (were Hispanic so even more so) so whenever these events do occur I'm expected to go. And I know God wants our all does that mean if I have the ability to go to church on a Sunday that I should go even though there is per say a family party?

I hope this made sense as my first post.

B

biabia

Church and family are both important. A healthy balance between both is good.

T

TwilightSparkle

Church and family are both important. A healthy balance between both is good.
But what if my parents keep making me choose? I mean I'd rather go to church then some family functions but they always want me to pick family before church. They don't take it as serious as I do/want to

Jesus4ever

May 18, 2015
I believe you should do whatever you can to have both things. You miss your church and your family should respect that. May Gold help you in this situation!

God bless!

A

atwhatcost

But what if my parents keep making me choose? I mean I'd rather go to church then some family functions but they always want me to pick family before church. They don't take it as serious as I do/want to
My parents had certain rules. The older I got, the more annoying the rules were. Most of them fell under, "As long as you're living under my roof, Young Lady..."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure parents create annoying rules to convince us we don't want to live under their roof forever.

Isn't this one of those times?

And that's why I lived on my own at 22. lol

Dec 1, 2014
In my case, my family and I worship in different churches..or no church at all. There was a time when all my children, wife and I got up and attended faithfully a church together. In time..children leaving the nest, and GOD dealing with me being called into seminary, things changed. I got a dose of the holy spirit, exposed to a different form and style of lively worship and praise. My children married and adopted the denomination of their spouses and my wife and I differ in our approach to worship. She remains faithful to her southern baptist roots and I lean towards pentacostal/evangelical. Her and I meet 'halfway" and attend an early morning worship service in a little methodist church nearby...then I take her home and rush to a little pentacostal churchhouse nearby. She chooses to NOT attend or support..which is fine..nobody needs to be forced...

T

twamps21

If things ever do come up to where you are unable to attend church, you could always watch it on TV there are certain networks that play different sermons all day long. One of my favorite TV evangelists is Dr. Charles Stanley. I know it's not the same, and you shouldn't do it every Sunday but it's definitely better than having to choose because God should be the most important thing in your life and you should never put Him on the backburner.

mochi

May 26, 2015
This is my dilemma too.. family or church.. :( been twice i choose go to church and the result is a big no no.. so, i go sometimes, i join community group in church sometimes and i streaming sunday service from my church regulary.. because of that my spiritual cant grow healthy :( i need time that i can be independent and i can do what i want to.. sigh...

F

FriendlyGuitarist

Luke 14:26

“If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.

Now the word hate in this context does not mean to actually hate your family but it's saying they come second to Jesus. Like you said in your original post. Jesus comes first before all.

T

TwilightSparkle

Luke 14:26

“If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.

Now the word hate in this context does not mean to actually hate your family but it's saying they come second to Jesus. Like you said in your original post. Jesus comes first before all.
Thank you for your input. But I find ti really difficult with my family. I mean if i decide to go to church or anywhere on the same day as a family event that my parents are going to I get backlash almost immediately. Mainly from my father. He's verbally abusive when he gets upset so 9/10 times when something like this comes up he just loves throwing around guilt trips. Also to it's like he calls me a hypocrite because I make mistakes like for example i might lie to him about homework or something and then when i tell him i want to go to church he goes "why? hypocrites don't go to church, family is first" And i ought to mention that my parents are catholic but they never read their bibles or go to church and whenever i bring up a topic about god that I want to talk about they think im challenging my faith or questioning it or even that im doubtfully

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
Thank you for your input. But I find ti really difficult with my family. I mean if i decide to go to church or anywhere on the same day as a family event that my parents are going to I get backlash almost immediately. Mainly from my father. He's verbally abusive when he gets upset so 9/10 times when something like this comes up he just loves throwing around guilt trips. Also to it's like he calls me a hypocrite because I make mistakes like for example i might lie to him about homework or something and then when i tell him i want to go to church he goes "why? hypocrites don't go to church, family is first" And i ought to mention that my parents are catholic but they never read their bibles or go to church and whenever i bring up a topic about god that I want to talk about they think im challenging my faith or questioning it or even that im doubtfully
Learn who you are in Christ. Then it will be easier to stand up against the guilt trips they hurl at you.